Adaptive cruise - not stop & go

Ford_Fan

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor
Prior to my Tremor I had a 2018 F150 Platinum and also have a 2017 Ford Fusion. Both have adaptive cruise that features stop & go functionality. Basically the cruise will bring the vehicle to a stop in traffic and if the car in front moves within 3 seconds the cruise will start the vehicle moving again.

I don't see why the Super Duty adaptive cruise would be different but it is. I suspected this based on the verbage around the feature on the website but finally had a chance to check it out yesterday in traffic and sure enough the adaptive cruise cuts off - seemed to around 15mph. Oh well.

Anyway - I wanted to let anyone wondering about this that it's confirmed, at least on a 2020. Maybe they'll update the SW on '21 or later. Kinda sucks but I don't get stuck in stop & go traffic too often.

Yep the cutoff is 20mph. Definitely sucks that its like that. I loved it the one time I used it in my expedition.

Interesting. I'm more glad I didn't get it then. I had thought about it since we have it on our '19 Subaru Ascent and you really get used to it on the highway and even on major roads in town where I normally have a tendency to speed!

Part of why that kind of technology always makes me a little nervous as it's about the balance of expectations and problems arise when you expect something to work a certain way and it doesn't. You're better off being in control of the vehicle the whole time otherwise.

Interesting. I'm more glad I didn't get it then. I had thought about it since we have it on our '19 Subaru Ascent and you really get used to it on the highway and even on major roads in town where I normally have a tendency to speed!

Part of why that kind of technology always makes me a little nervous as it's about the balance of expectations and problems arise when you expect something to work a certain way and it doesn't. You're better off being in control of the vehicle the whole time otherwise.
I find it quite useful on the highway and only minimally used it in stop & go on the F150 and Fusion. For the highway it's invaluable.

I'm just surprised it's different than the F150. I don't see why they'd omit the stop & go feature. Seems odd. Maybe the braking distances are longer in the Super Duty and they didn't want to be liable for not stopping in time in stop & go traffic? Only thing I can think of.

I find it quite useful on the highway and only minimally used it in stop & go on the F150 and Fusion. For the highway it's invaluable.

I'm just surprised it's different than the F150. I don't see why they'd omit the stop & go feature. Seems odd. Maybe the braking distances are longer in the Super Duty and they didn't want to be liable for not stopping in time in stop & go traffic? Only thing I can think of.
It is one of the best options on the truck in my opinion. I use it quit a bit, even when towing. I don't know for sure but I don't think Ford wants a truck that is made for towing to rely on stop and go cruise control. Its fine when I am pulling a fifth wheel for it to change speed with traffic, etc. However, using it in stop and go if you were pulling 15,000# is a different story. Super Duty's lane assist doesn't bump you back into your lane like a 1/2 ton either. Though that's more to do with the steering differences I beleive.

It is one of the best options on the truck in my opinion. I use it quit a bit, even when towing. I don't know for sure but I don't think Ford wants a truck that is made for towing to rely on stop and go cruise control. Its fine when I am pulling a fifth wheel for it to change speed with traffic, etc. However, using it in stop and go if you were pulling 15,000# is a different story. Super Duty's lane assist doesn't bump you back into your lane like a 1/2 ton either. Though that's more to do with the steering differences I beleive.
Could be but the F150 can tow a lot too and if Ford really believed it was about towing it's possible to change the adaptive cruise behavior while towing. Oh well - we'll probably never know unless someone asks a Ford engineer at some event. At least it works on the highway. And yes, agree on the lane keeping as well. Although it never worked that great in the F150 so I don't miss it not trying to bump me back in the lane.

Prior to my Tremor I had a 2018 F150 Platinum and also have a 2017 Ford Fusion. Both have adaptive cruise that features stop & go functionality. Basically the cruise will bring the vehicle to a stop in traffic and if the car in front moves within 3 seconds the cruise will start the vehicle moving again.

I don't see why the Super Duty adaptive cruise would be different but it is. I suspected this based on the verbage around the feature on the website but finally had a chance to check it out yesterday in traffic and sure enough the adaptive cruise cuts off - seemed to around 15mph. Oh well.

Anyway - I wanted to let anyone wondering about this that it's confirmed, at least on a 2020. Maybe they'll update the SW on '21 or later. Kinda sucks but I don't get stuck in stop & go traffic too often.
I was also surprised that a more expensive, newer truck with arguably the same baseline of features didn’t have this. My ‘19 raptor had it. There is another feature that the super duty is missing that is coming with the higher trims: Active lane keep assist. The super duty only has the haptic feedback, but the f150 has active steering assist.
Really weird.

This is my first vehicle with it. So its all great. But I can see if you are used to something better. I loved it with the exhaust brake going thru the Rocky Mountains.

I was also surprised that a more expensive, newer truck with arguably the same baseline of features didn’t have this. My ‘19 raptor had it. There is another feature that the super duty is missing that is coming with the higher trims: Active lane keep assist. The super duty only has the haptic feedback, but the f150 has active steering assist.
Really weird.

My 2018 Raptor with Adaptive Cruise does not restart from a stop. They added it in 2019, so I missed it by one year.

My 2018 Raptor with Adaptive Cruise does not restart from a stop. They added it in 2019, so I missed it by one year.
Maybe on the Raptor but I had a 2018 F150 Platinum and it had the stop & go adaptive cruise.

Really weird.
The f150s and raptors have full electric steering while SD has hydraulic steering. Thats why

The f150s and raptors have full electric steering while SD has hydraulic steering. Thats why
SD also have a solid front Axle where the F150 are IFS

SD also have a solid front Axle where the F150 are IFS
Could be but with the pro trailer backup the steering does actually turn on it's own. All good guesses tho. At least for me, it's not something that will be missed. The feature sucked in the F150 anyway, was never quick or strong enough to actually get the truck back in the lane (when I tested it).

Could be but with the pro trailer backup the steering does actually turn on it's own. All good guesses tho. At least for me, it's not something that will be missed. The feature sucked in the F150 anyway, was never quick or strong enough to actually get the truck back in the lane (when I tested it).
Yeah you’re right about that. I also thought overall of the feature in an emergency situation, I would’ve crashed the vehicle on my right or left before the auto steering would react with enough heart to prevent it.

Latest Discussions

Back