8 ply Duratrac

My tires are definitely 8 ply. I guess I flew off the handle a bit more than needed. They do quite well in the mud so they arent completely useless. Most guys here immediately sell them back to the dealer and pay the difference for better tires though. I guess it depends on where you come from on how you classify your trucks. Where I live 3/4 and 1 tonn trucks are used mainly for heavy hauling in the oil and gas industry which is in muskeg and bush. I would say think most people would buy a tremor for using it off road no? Thats why it was created otherwise why not just go with a basic package or FX4?
Going off of this forum, I would say

60% buy it for looks
30% buy it for dirt/gravel road use
10% buy it for heavy off-road use

60% buy it for looks
10% buy it for heavy off-road useya

60% buy it for looks
That

60% buy it for looks
That makes sense. I'm guessing Ford probably projected those percentages and decided that was the tire to go for because of that.

Because you can count how many ply. It's stamped on all tires.
No where on the tires does it state the tire is 8pl. It does list the ply construction of the tread (6 total) and sidewall (2 total). This does not make them "8" and if it did then BFG tires would be 9 ply as they use 3 in the sidewall but actually carry less weight than the good years in this size range.

The old ply rating system dates back to bias ply tires. The tires on a tremor are Load Rating E tires which would have been equivalent to the old rating system of 10 ply. They have a load capability of 4k~lbs each (in this size only) and as far as the physical construction is concerned the number of actual plies makes no difference and will be different across all brands.

Yes that means of all the tires were at max pressure they would carry 16k lbs. But the fronts are not at max and there needs to be a safety factor built into the equation.

All that being said a set of duratrac tires will cost over $1000 to buy. What you need and what the manufacturer has to put on the vehicle to meet a multitude of requirements and buyer needs are two very different things. If you need a harder tire because you are not driving on the road you can get that but it will have sacrifices that others may not want. It may have 10 ply in the tread also, hell they may even be all steel plys. But that doesn't mean they are any stronger or necessarily carry more weight.

All in all, this thread is very misleading and full of poor information. Which is how the relevance of 8ply-10ply tires has still persisted despite the fact that "10 ply" tires haven't been used in mass for half a century. Spent a decade in the tire industry sales and management.

Attachments

• PXL_20210505_164809554.jpg
    PXL_20210505_164809554.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 54
Because you can count how many ply. It's stamped on all tires.
Sorry, wrong answer. Not how it works any longer.

See post #20 and follow the link. That explains the correct information.

It is classified anymore as "10 ply rating" or "8 ply rating" (you'll sometimes just see 10PR stated).

It is not by the actual number of plys. As mentioned before, the psi is your clue. But you have to take in the total of information provided on the side to determine what you had. There are E rated tires with say 3650 lbs rating @65 psi. So is it 10 ply or 8 ply? There is mixed info and can get confusing sometimes. However, the stock Duratracs are pretty cut and dry: E rated, 10 ply rated, 80 psi, 4080 lbs.

In the end, Ford cannot divine the individual needs of each customer. Up to you to make it what you want. Honestly, I love the choice of the Duratracs. You got a premium tire with significant off road, snow/ice, heavy load capability. They didn't cheap out on the tire like Chevy or Toyota often does.

Also, I prefer the tucked in tire. I hate having road debris raking the paint because the tires stick out. And I really detest that whole "bro-dozer" look.

Last edited:
The Tremor tires are 285/75R18 Goodyear DuraTrac. This is only offered in a Load Range E which is considered a 10-ply rating. They can carry 4,080 LBS at max inflation of 80PSI. I don't even see a 285/75R18 in a Load Range D which would be an 8-ply equivalent DuraTrac on the Goodyear website. ?‍♂️

The Tremor tires are 285/75R18 Goodyear DuraTrac. This is only offered in a Load Range E which is considered a 10-ply rating. They can carry 4,080 LBS at max inflation of 80PSI. I don't even see a 285/75R18 in a Load Range D which would be an 8-ply equivalent DuraTrac on the Goodyear website. ?‍♂️
That’s because it doesn’t exist and the OP was talking out his A$$

Regardless of whether they are 8ply or 10ply, the duratractires are junk. I have no problem with how they drive, but they just won’t last as long as others. When they hit 20k miles they will be switched out with cooper discoverer s/t maxx.

Regardless of whether they are 8ply or 10ply, the duratractires are junk. I have no problem with how they drive, but they just won’t last as long as others. When they hit 20k miles they will be switched out with cooper discoverer s/t maxx.
Well good luck with your choice. 'Murica and all that.
I will strongly disagree with your statement that Duratracs are junk. They are most assuredly not.

I've got some experience with these tires. Your cooper's should last longer, they are an all season tire. They aren't even rated as 3 snowflake. So, they have a conventional close tread pattern, makes them quiet but you give up off road performance, and a harder tread compound which means they last longer but don't do as well in snow/ice or wet. They don't have the same load rating either. The cooper's are a quality tire and if that fits your bill then rock on baby. But don't expect everyone else who may know a thing or two to agree with you on your choice or your reasoning for them.
Don't trash the Duratracs when you appear to be misinformed on the compromises and give and takes in what goes into a tire and what works for what purposes.
Full disclosure, I have new Mickey Thompsons on the way. They suit my needs better than the Duratracs. That doesn't make the Duratracs "junk". They aren't.

Last edited:
I have new Mickey Thompsons on the way. They suit my needs better than the Duratracs.
Did you order the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT???
If so what size? And are you running them on the factory tremor wheels?

I must say this is the most disjangled thread I've read on this forum, and mostly because people are throwing out their personal opinions as fact, all the while responding to an OP that is utterly clueless about tires in general, and clueless regarding the purpose that Ford designed the Tremor to serve.

Thank you @Mike Alcocer, @soulezoo, and @Skibum1681 for stating actual facts and putting this thread to rest! ? Oh, and I love my load range E (10 ply rated) Duratracks! ? :cool:

PS: I know we all feel like ranting occasionally and of course that's what the OP wanted folks to do. I for one am glad that ranting is rare on the Tremor Forum. This has been and is one of he best forums I've participated in, and it is because people are generally constructive and helpful and positive and encouraging here. I sure hope we can keep it that way and look for solutions rather than just ranting. Is the Tremor perfect for every purpose in every way? Of course not. But it is the most capable all around heavy duty truck offered to date. And I'm sure the Ford engineers are compiling ideas and suggestions to make improvements that make sense to improve the overall usefulness of the Tremor design down the road.

Last edited:
Did you order the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT???
If so what size? And are you running them on the factory tremor wheels?
I did, and in the 305 size. They are going on Method 305 NV HD bronze in 18" X 9 with +18 offset.

Latest Discussions

Back