Trämör

7.3L > 6.7L
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
BMW M4 Competition Convertible
Hey!

just curious here what other 7.3 owners are seeing as their standard operating measurements.
I was quite surprised to see that my transmission temp is dead on at 214F most of the times, but never lower than 200F. I thought this to be quite hot, my Raptor 10R80 would operate around 180-195F max in normal road driving. Anyone else experience this temp?

The other surprising measurement to me was that my engine (once at operating temp) idles around 650-750, feels a bit high to be honest (was expecting 500ish).

Hi, i ve also experienced high/very high temperatures. On the motorway @75-80mph - always 200F, at full speed , 100mph >220F.
Cant imagine thats this could be good+ok on long journeys - but ZF says it will be critical when 245F is exceeded.
Theres is also a electronic warnlight, wenn temp is too high - by now it havent flashed -

Maybe the transmission oil should be changed earlier than the schedule...

Last edited:
200F seems to me a rather normal temperature for this size of truck and power that is being transferred. 214 maybe a little high... it does depend a little on your driving style though... if you are flooring the pedal at every light and merge you may see these numbers more often. Rule of thumb has been 200 is normal and for every 20F lifetime reduces by half so 220 means half lifetime than normal, 240 means 1/4th...

but ZF says it will be critical when 245F is exceeded

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought ZF wasn't involved in the Ford/GM 10R80 ?

200F seems to me a rather normal temperature for this size of truck and power that is being transferred. 214 maybe a little high... it does depend a little on your driving style though... if you are flooring the pedal at every light and merge you may see these numbers more often. Rule of thumb has been 200 is normal and for every 20F lifetime reduces by half so 220 means half lifetime than normal, 240 means 1/4th...

ZF handles Dodge; the 10 speed is a joint venture between ford and chevy

I agree, 200 would be acceptable. Problem is, I keep seeing the 214F at really humble suburban driving without highway.

You are right, but i don`t have numbers für the 10spd - so in my opinion the ZF numbers will also fit -

Did anyone has the temp with a heavy trailer ? Does it go beyond 220F ?

I mean, the truck must be used at constant 80mph w/o any restrictions

I was driving with no tow just 70 mph on interstate and saw 219F 2021 7.3

So I just did another test run. 30min of chill 45mph suburbia, mostly in 9th and 10th gear. 27 most of the time, going up to 221 a couple of times...

is it just me or does this seem super hot!?!?

So I just did another test run. 30min of chill 45mph suburbia, mostly in 9th and 10th gear. 27 most of the time, going up to 221 a couple of times...

is it just me or does this seem super hot!?!?
Maybe the guage is stuck there, like the 11.4 MPG reading I get, whether I stomp on it or have it in cruise control.

Maybe the guage is stuck there, like the 11.4 MPG reading I get, whether I stomp on it or have it in cruise control.
Gauge is def moving. It fluctuates between 217 and 221... went driving under 25mph it drops to about 208-213...

Back