7.3L oil change - full synthetic?

HTremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor 7.3L
Couldn’t find anything with a search on the forum, so was wondering what my fellow 7.3L friends were using when they change their oil? Synthetic blend or full synthetic. I would imagine with the engines full synthetic would be preference, but not sure. First oil change for me.

I went with blend in the first one at 2,500 miles as it was included with my purchase. I’ll be switching to Full Synthetic at 7,500.

I'm keeping with whatever Ford says for as long as my warranty is in place. I might go to something else at a later date but as long as they are doing my oil changes, I'm fine with whatever they call for.

Still using blend for now. Cheap enough and I do it every 5k. Plus having the Stahlbus makes oil changes a little more fun and easy. LOL

I just go with Ford's "The Works Package" since my dealership gave several years of oil changes for free with my truck purchase. So, blend it is.

I don't drive very much and like having my dealer do the service. I supply the Oil, Mobil 1 full synthetic and MotorCraft filter. Twice a year.

There is a long and detailed thread around here with people arguing real science about this topic. Interesting stuff.

I use Mobile 1 full synthetic because it's available basically everywhere and the Motorcraft filter. The same stuff goes into all our cars so its easy to manage the supply.

I took Blackstone Testing Labs advice and run a quality conventional at 5K intervals. They test samples everyday and concluded that full Syn does NOT result in a cleaner or longer lasting engine. Said I could go further than 5K between conventional changes, but changing at 5K is just too easy to remember when its ready for another change.

Another full synthetic Mobile 1 with Motorcraft filter user here. Easy stuff to come by that isn’t exorbitantly expensive.

For now and while under warranty, using the blend that comes with THE WORKS. May change once it is out of warranty.

Motorcraft Full Synthetic every 5000 miles along with a Motorcraft filter.

Is the full synthetic necessary? Almost certainly not. Does it make me feel better on the cheap? Sure does! :D

Costco's Kirkland Signature full synthetic with a Motorcraft 820s filter from Walmart. It meets all of Ford's specifications. I also run a Fumoto drain plug valve on my oil pan. Makes changing oil very simple. I snap the hose on the valve and run it right into an empty 1 gallon milk jug. With full synthetic, I change my oil about every 7,000 miles. I've done I think 8 oil changes since getting the truck.

I changed the oil at 1500 miles (figured during break-in there would be more suspended metals and microscopic shavings) with Mobil 1 synthetic, and every 5k miles thereafter. I've done that with pretty much every vehicle I've ever owned (except the Diesels that get T6).

I don't overthink it, but maybe I'm an idiot.

Costco's Kirkland Signature full synthetic
I don't normally run full synthetic, but I picked up 2 (5qt) of Kirkland because it's on sale right now for cheap.
Oil life is at 10%, but I've only put 3k on the truck since I got it.
This will be my first oil change, so I'll probably go longer on the next change.

X2 what @Donnie With A Dee said. I do 5000 mile intervals just because that's what I'm used to and it takes me over 6 months to get that anyway.

I've researched Costco oils and they are made by Warren Distribution Inc which is the biggest producer of private labels in the world. They're based in Memphis TN and manufacture and distribute from multiple locations across North America. The Costco Kirkland full synthetic exceeds all Ford requirements and is less expensive than simi-synthetic of other brands. BTW Ford's oil is likely made by the same company as Ford doesn't make oil either.

I really don't think you can beat the Costco deal. If you are a Costco member the oil can be ordered on line, four 5qt jugs for $80, delivered for free to your door in about 3 days.

Latest Discussions

Back