Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Military
Army
Current Ride
21 F250 7.3L Antimatter Lariat Ult/Blk Tremor
Current Ride #2
2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Anyone outside of the “6.7/F350” range experienced or heard anything? My axle falls within the date range, but has not been “identified officially” as an issue yet.

Last edited:

Anyone outside of the “6.7/F350” range experienced or heard anything? My axle falls within the date range, but has not been “identified officially” as an issue yet.
I think it will be a trickle effect as it’s only pertaining to trucks with the 6.7 at the moment. I really hope it’s not something us gasser owners have to deal with.

I think it will be a trickle effect as it’s only pertaining to trucks with the 6.7 at the moment. I really hope it’s not something us gasser owners have to deal with.
I agree, but the axles are the exact same, so I’m at least skeptical now…

Last edited:
The guy who posted the video did a great job. One of the attachments mentions that the possibility of failure is unique to the 6.7 F350 due to the available torque and the GVCW rating. So basically, the capacity of the vehicle and the torque of the engine is what can stress the axle beyond it's limits.

Kind of a weird deal...

I’m not a 7.3 owner but a 6.7 250 owner with a M275 and I have a hard time believing that the 7.3 owners who can haul a payload of 500lbs more than the 6.7 won’t experience this problem. As such I have a problem believing that a 250 owner with a payload less than 500lbs wouldn’t be susceptible to this issue…

Is 500lbs of torque and 500lbs of payload really the difference between smashing the axel housing and not?.

I don’t believe so.
I agree this seems really weird. But Ford managed to convince the Feds...for whatever that's worth.

It'd be interesting to know exactly what the people with the damaged axles were doing when the failure occurred. From the wording in the recall, it sounds like they were hauling loads near the design limit.

I am just speculating...

I agree, but the axles are the exact same, so I’m at least skeptical now..:

It is my understanding that no, the axles on a 7.3L and 6.7L are not the exact same. The whole F250 Tremor is the exact same as a F350 is not true. Only an F250 Diesel Tremor has the same rear as an F350.

There is a thread, on these forums, that includes a video outlining the specifics. I believed they were the same as well, but it is not true.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that no, the axles on a 7.3L and 6.7L are not the exact same. The whole F250 Tremor is the exact same as a F350 is not true. Only an F250 Diesel Tremor has the same rear as an F350.

There is a thread, on these forums, that includes a video outlining the specifics. I believed they were the same as well, but it is not true.
Well Shit. I understood it to be all 250/350, either 7.3/6.7
( in Tremor form ) were all equipped with the M275.
Differences being Ratio's. 3.55 for 6.7's, 4.30 for 7.3's.
It's the sole reason I chose the 250 over 350. I was getting nothing more than a GVW ratings on a sticker.

I have seen a few misinformed videos and posts as well. As I understand it, all Tremors equipped with the M275 rear end will have the exact same axle, and for that matter, the exact same spring package. My 7.3L F250 Tremor has the exact same axle/spring pack as a 6.7 F350 Tremor, but with 4.30 gears. Caveat is the GVWRs will be different for the Tremor F250/F350, but it’s just a sticker on the door and a badge that’s actually different. Happy to discuss further, but there are others on here much more capable and experienced across the full range of differences/similarities with all the superdutys out there. All the best!

I feel like we need a forum wide consensus based on empirical data and not anecdotal assertion.

I do not possess the requisite mechanical knowledge to provide a meaningful answer. Surely someone on the forums must be able to speak with some degree of authority.

Wonder if this was truly a supplier design change or if Dana passed through some non-conforming product that they didn't get proper customer accommodation for. Either way, in the auto industry this the equivalent of cheating on your wife. Not a good situation to be in for Dana.

I'll make a point of going out to the barn today and giving my Sterling axle a hug.

I feel like we need a forum wide consensus based on empirical data and not anecdotal assertion.

I do not possess the requisite mechanical knowledge to provide a meaningful answer. Surely someone on the forums must be able to speak with some degree of authority.
This thread already hashed it out and the rear ends are identical between 250 and 350, regardless of gas or diesel.

This video doesn’t show the axle, but the suspension is identical between 250 gas and 350 diesel.

I was under the same impression from the forum. Then I got a hold of the fleet production manager... and felt a bit like a fool

The “torque” theory seems to do with the drivetrain disconnect, which is the safety issue per the recall.

Ford seems to suggest the 6.7L torque is what’s causing the drivetrain disconnect on trucks whose axles have collapsed.

And Ford seems to suggest the axles will only collapse at the capacities the F350 is rated for.

What that suggests to me is that us 7.3 250 owners are on our own if we ever exceed the lowly ratings of our trucks.

So we’re on the losing side of the bet that we could buy a truck with a lower rating and use it for farm use at the max rating of the platform.

Or at least, we’d have to buy ourselves some new axles to do that.

F*NG Ford.

Last edited:
As much as I value the experience on this forum I think a Ford design/engineer will be the one to validate rear ends, axles as they relate to engines and chassis.

Not to stir the pot because this has been beat to death, buried, dug up, set on fire and buried again. If I were a “One Ton F250” driver I’d be scratching my head as to why this recall isn’t affecting me if they’re all one in the same. A serious question.

I get the diesel torque however I’m trying to wrap my head around how that affects the wall thickness of the axle housing and crushing that housing under the spring perch based on load? I’ve been crawling under mine and no leakage, cracked welds or crushed axle housing. Guess we’ll see. Good luck.

The “torque” theory seems to do with the drivetrain disconnect, which is the safety issue per the recall.

Ford seems to suggest the 6.7L torque is what’s causing the drivetrain disconnect on trucks whose axles have collapsed.

And Ford seems to suggest the axles will only collapse at the capacities the F350 is rated for.

What that suggests to me is that us 7.3 250 owners are on our own if we ever exceed the lowly ratings of our trucks.

So we’re on the losing side of the bet that we could buy a truck with a lower rating and use it for farm use at the max rating of the platform.

Or at least, we’d have to buy ourselves some new axles to do that.

F*NG Ford.
I think you summarized it correctly: According to Ford, the Axle is capable of performing in the F250 platform but not a specific variant of the F350 platform (one of which own :(). So the owners of the variant which could have problems will get some "relief", while others wont.

My wife said (to me) well this is a good reason to sell your truck and buy a new one in a couple of years. No thank you :).

Back