7.3L Gas vs. 6.7L diesel

Badger2thDoc

Tremor Newbie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2018 raptor
The usual question....What would be yours pros and cons and why?

First off, I got the 6.7 diesel. The gas engine would have suited me better since I don't tow that often but I just love diesels.

6.7 Pros:
diesels are just cooler
fuel economy, especially while towing and low speed off road
freight train power
proven platform

6.7 Cons:
cost
complexity
weight
emissions components and the need for horse piss fill ups
potential repair costs

7.3 Pros:
cost
weight
fewer complexities
easier for a shade tree mechanic to work on
exhaust note

7.3 Cons:
fuel economy, especially when towing
new powertrain without real-world durability info

Welcome to the forum @Badger2thDoc - It's seems that's a major purchasing decision for several us on the board.

1. The new 7.3l gas motor combined with the new 10 speed seems to fit in that sweet spot for price/power bang for your buck. Doesn't get the fuel mileage the diesel does, however regular gas is (currently) 20% cheaper then diesel so it might net/net to be close to the same cost when you average out the mpg.

2. Every 7.3l review I've read or watched has been super positive on the motor. I have yet to see anything really negative (other then the 2 notes mentioned above)

3. Diesel - how can you go wrong with 475 hp and a whopping 1,050 lb-ft of torque?! Diesel Exhaust Brake. It will also maintain more power at higher elevations.

4. I also think diesels hold their value better, but I'm not 100% sure on this one.

I'll probably be getting the diesel mainly because it will be my tow pig and replace a RAM 2500 Diesel. Another positive about the diesels when towing is filling up is SO MUCH easier. Normally the diesel pumps have extra room for trailers or pull right into the semi spots. When I was towing with my gasser F150, filling up always seemed stressful.

There is some good discussion in this thread comparing the motors: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/fx4-vs-tremor.120/

My guess would be if you are towing often go with the diesel. If you are off-road often go with the gas. If you are like me and do both but not often then your guess is as good as mine:) Some good pros and cons above. I'm was a bit hesitant on the gas just being all new. Do I want a new tranny and a new engine to test for ford? Maybe its nothing to worry about but these things usually need a few years of refinement to be mostly trouble free. Range looks to be similar with 48 gallon tank on gas and 34 on diesel. I like the instant response from the gas vs a bit of turbo lag on the diesel. I'm sure the much lighter engine weight on the gas will make handling a bit better. Supposedly different front shocks on the diesel vs gas because of the added weight. I was on the fence for awhile. Finally just went with the 6.7. I'll add the PremiumCare ESP for 7yr/100 once I get it and not worry about things breaking. After 7 years I'll probably be ready for something new.

Over 5 or more years the diesel will have better resale.

Fuel costs are lower for the gas and higher for diesel ( generally ) Unless you burn premium fuel

First off, I got the 6.7 diesel. The gas engine would have suited me better since I don't tow that often but I just love diesels.

6.7 Pros:
diesels are just cooler
fuel economy, especially while towing and low speed off road
freight train power
proven platform

6.7 Cons:
cost
complexity
weight
emissions components and the need for horse piss fill ups
potential repair costs

7.3 Pros:
cost
weight
fewer complexities
easier for a shade tree mechanic to work on
exhaust note

7.3 Cons:
fuel economy, especially when towing
new powertrain without real-world durability info

Also- if you rock a canopy and carry weight in the bed no real mpg hit with diesel- If you live in the foothills or go over mountain passes, that favors the diesel-

If you keep your vehicle for a long time, gas might limit costly out of warranty repairs

Another point for 7.3 is, for some, ability to pay off quicker and free yourself up to get a classic, sport or rv etc

This is a rough dilemma; one I've also been facing. I think I'm leaning towards the 7.3 for peace of mind and also the simple fact that I won't be towing every week or month (for that matter) with it. With the added expense of diesel fuel over regular fuel, as well as the cost for DEF it would take more miles than I would ever plan on putting on the truck (or keeping the truck) to pay for the option.

The other thing that I'm thinking is with all the emissions items that can go wrong and break it can get very expensive to fix if out of warranty. There is just that part of me that wants that 1,050 ft/lb. Do I need it? No, do I want it though? Still thinking it through haha

This is a rough dilemma; one I've also been facing. I think I'm leaning towards the 7.3 for peace of mind and also the simple fact that I won't be towing every week or month (for that matter) with it. With the added expense of diesel fuel over regular fuel, as well as the cost for DEF it would take more miles than I would ever plan on putting on the truck (or keeping the truck) to pay for the option.

The other thing that I'm thinking is with all the emissions items that can go wrong and break it can get very expensive to fix if out of warranty. There is just that part of me that wants that 1,050 ft/lb. Do I need it? No, do I want it though? Still thinking it through haha
I hear you, I had problems with my 2015 Chevy Duramax, def heating element went out and was out of the 3 year 36k mile warranty. The service writer told me it would be over $2,700 to fix. I contacted GM got it N/C also got a letter from GM extending my warranty another 10 years and another 100,000 miles on all emission systems. Who ever gets that truck from my dealer will have the emissions covered until 2028 or 200,000 miles.

The DEF Fluid is not that expense and you don't have to use that much of it. I added every 5 th or 6th full tank of fuel if that.

I don't like the fact diesel fuel is less refined than 87 UNLG yet cost more and the Bull Sh*t filters on the diesel trucks. But I still ordered the diesel. I am convinced if you keep the Truck more than 3 years it more than makes up for itself on resale alone. I have been running diesel pick ups for 25 years and replace them or trade them about every 3 years. The few gassers I have purchased did not hold up well on the resale value, plus they really eat the fuel under load. If you want to off road this truck get a 7.3, But if you need to haul and just occasionally off road the 6.7 is my choice.

It's looking like ATS diesel in Colorado is working on a serviceable DPF filter that would attach to the stock emissions control system with a V-band clamp That would make it easier to "blow out" the soot caked filter element to keep the exhaust system from turning into a hand-grenade for the motor. They had a video on that not too long ago.

I also went through the same thing and came to a conclusion that worked best for me. After I created an excel spreadsheet and was as honest as possible with it, it showed that the diesel would pay for itself over the course of mileage in which I "plan" on keeping the truck. 13 mpg vs 18 mpg is a fairly big difference over 200-250 k miles. Of course all of this is hinging on me not having a repair that requires a 2nd mortgage to afford though. Your only having to make back around 8k cause the 7.3 is already costing you an up-charge.

Also, something interesting showed up in my spreadsheet... diesel is definitely more than gas but "usually" not on a percentage basis. Regular gas at 2.05 and diesel at 2.49 is 44 cents more per gallon for the diesel. Take into account potential fuel increases over the years and diesel is still gonna be around the same 44 cent "ish" more per gallon. If gas goes to 3 dollars plus the fuel efficiency of the 6.7 pays back even quicker. Papa raptor said that def wasn't really a big deal and I agree. when full it says that it will go around 5500 miles, it won't amount up to a great deal of money. I have been reading where people will dump a jug in when the gauge shows around half full to make it easy not to overfill and leave room for expansion in cold weather. I will probably adopt this same procedure.

Not saying it was the right move long term, time will tell that, but calculating all of this out made my decision to try the 6.7 more palatable... and currently have no regrets cause that 1050 you reference feels incredible. ;) My son made the comment the other night when I accelerated pretty quick, " wow dad, it doesn't even sound or feel like it was trying hard to do that" all with a giant grin on his face.

I drive about 8000 miles/year and tow a 9300lb boat/trailer or small camper every other weekend, on average. Gas makes sense for me.

another upside to the 7.3 is sometime soon there will be aftermarket exhaust systems for it. You will be able to make it sound awesome . Plus a tuner with a cold air intake will allow you to increase the power.

Another benefit of the 7.3 is it looks like it will have a lot of aftermarket support for those that like to tinker to have a custom/modified vehicle.

Ordered a F350 Tremor 6.7L diesel and a 7.3L gas truck. One of my dealer deposits will be forfeited. Haha. I'm most likely going with gas as the operating cost numbers are pretty close, that you don't break even on cost for about 11-12yrs.

Assumptions: Average 15,000 miles a year, diesel fuel .20 cents more than gas on average
Diesel 19 mpg 1250miles/19 = 65.7 gallons
Gas 12 mpg 1250 miles/12 = 104.1 gallons

The delta is 38.46 gallons of gas per month at 2.00= 76.93 dollars more fuel cost per month. 76.9 x 12= 922.80 per year. I will save about 10,500.00 when you include tax on a gas truck purchase over the diesel. 10,500.00/922.8= 11.37 years to break even on fuel alone not counting added maintenance cost for diesel motors. I need the payload for truck camper and won't be towing much. Power on the 7.3L is pretty good. If you got a non Tremor FX4 Super Duty 7.3L with 3.55 estimated 15 mpg makes the equation even better towards a gas motor for light towing/added payload use.

Some guys just like diesels though!

I've never really understood the thought process that after 5 years the diesel is the way to go and it's worth it. It's really not unless the driving you're doing is taking advantage of it. I have a 7.3 on order after looking at maintenance costs and how I plan on driving it. It's pretty eye opening when you actually calculate out the numbers.

I'm pretty convinced that for myself, unless I was doing commercial work and towing 10,000+ miles a year, the diesel just doesn't make financial sense.

I built a calculator that shows how long it takes to pay for the diesel given a number of parameters.

I'm making it view only, but anyone should be able to copy it down and change their own miles driven estimates to see how it works out. If there's updates to the maintenance costs I'm happy to tweak as needed as well.

To me if you’re buying mainly for hard core off road ability get the 7.3 as the crawl ratio is lower and it has 1,000 less pounds or whatever on the front end. If you’re like me and tow a lot more than you off road and usually keep your trucks for close to a decade get the diesel. A lot more factors than that to consider but those were mainly what drove my decision.

Ordered a F350 Tremor 6.7L diesel and a 7.3L gas truck. One of my dealer deposits will be forfeited. Haha. I'm most likely going with gas as the operating cost numbers are pretty close, that you don't break even on cost for about 11-12yrs.

Assumptions: Average 15,000 miles a year, diesel fuel .20 cents more than gas on average
Diesel 19 mpg 1250miles/19 = 65.7 gallons
Gas 12 mpg 1250 miles/12 = 104.1 gallons

The delta is 38.46 gallons of gas per month at 2.00= 76.93 dollars more fuel cost per month. 76.9 x 12= 922.80 per year. I will save about 10,500.00 when you include tax on a gas truck purchase over the diesel. 10,500.00/922.8= 11.37 years to break even on fuel alone not counting added maintenance cost for diesel motors. I need the payload for truck camper and won't be towing much. Power on the 7.3L is pretty good. If you got a non Tremor FX4 Super Duty 7.3L with 3.55 estimated 15 mpg makes the equation even better towards a gas motor for light towing/added payload use.

Some guys just like diesels though!

Thanks for the cost comparison!

Back