7.3L Gas vs. 6.7L diesel

I see people listing 18-19 mpg fir the diesel. Does anyone get that? I’m in Montana and best I can get is 16 maybe 16.2 on a tank. Overall at 20k miles I’m at 14.8. Towing 7-8k I get 10 overall. And first time I hooked the trailer up my def went from 3k miles to the 500 mile warning in about a hundred miles and since a shop got caught deleting them you can’t get it done anymore, haven’t looked to hard recently though. I love the engine and the power but with all the emissions and it being my third diesel and never getting the mileage everyone else seems to get I’m thinking of downgrading to the 7.3

Welcome to the forum @Badger2thDoc - It's seems that's a major purchasing decision for several us on the board.

1. The new 7.3l gas motor combined with the new 10 speed seems to fit in that sweet spot for price/power bang for your buck. Doesn't get the fuel mileage the diesel does, however regular gas is (currently) 20% cheaper then diesel so it might net/net to be close to the same cost when you average out the mpg.

2. Every 7.3l review I've read or watched has been super positive on the motor. I have yet to see anything really negative (other then the 2 notes mentioned above)

3. Diesel - how can you go wrong with 475 hp and a whopping 1,050 lb-ft of torque?! Diesel Exhaust Brake. It will also maintain more power at higher elevations.

4. I also think diesels hold their value better, but I'm not 100% sure on this one.

I'll probably be getting the diesel mainly because it will be my tow pig and replace a RAM 2500 Diesel. Another positive about the diesels when towing is filling up is SO MUCH easier. Normally the diesel pumps have extra room for trailers or pull right into the semi spots. When I was towing with my gasser F150, filling up always seemed stressful.

There is some good discussion in this thread comparing the motors: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/fx4-vs-tremor.120/
I don’t know where your located but diesel is cheaper if not the same where I’m at!

I see people listing 18-19 mpg fir the diesel. Does anyone get that? I’m in Montana and best I can get is 16 maybe 16.2 on a tank. Overall at 20k miles I’m at 14.8. Towing 7-8k I get 10 overall. And first time I hooked the trailer up my def went from 3k miles to the 500 mile warning in about a hundred miles and since a shop got caught deleting them you can’t get it done anymore, haven’t looked to hard recently though. I love the engine and the power but with all the emissions and it being my third diesel and never getting the mileage everyone else seems to get I’m thinking of downgrading to the 7.3
Mine jumped back up to 17.4 yesterday after a drive down to SLC unloaded. I have been averaging about 13 mph towing 8k. I quit using tow/haul mode and my DEF consumption dropped dramatically. I read somewhere in tow/haul there’s a constant mild regeneration that sucks your DEF. On separate trips to Yellowstone and the Oregon coast my DEF dropped to 500 miles also, last trip to the Unitas it stayed above 3k. The diesel tows my load fine in normal driving mode. If you tow anything above 5k you are probably not going to like the 7.3L imo. It did ok with a 4k truck camper but started to struggle with the heavier travel trailer. Most of my towing is at altitude in UT/CO/Wy.

First thing are you checking with hand calculations? Sometimes the computer calculations are not the best especially if you are running different tires and not reclabrated for them. Also are you running much over the speed limit? My buddies with various versions of the 6.7L and 10 speed are all around the 18 mark empty interstate running but keep it 80ish. If you are a over nine and you mine kind of guy your mileage is really going to suffer. All the the 6.7L I run with the mileage as well as my 7.3L really doesn’t start to get close to what people here are claiming until running 70 or less. Hook on to a trailer and go 80 they also get crap for mileage drop to 70 and seems to really improve. My buddy out of Billings was bragging about how he was consistently getting 20+ then came for a visit and dropped to just under 18 running in the mountains unloaded so location will also have a pretty substantial effect on mileage.

First thing are you checking with hand calculations? Sometimes the computer calculations are not the best especially if you are running different tires and not reclabrated for them. Also are you running much over the speed limit? My buddies with various versions of the 6.7L and 10 speed are all around the 18 mark empty interstate running but keep it 80ish. If you are a over nine and you mine kind of guy your mileage is really going to suffer. All the the 6.7L I run with the mileage as well as my 7.3L really doesn’t start to get close to what people here are claiming until running 70 or less. Hook on to a trailer and go 80 they also get crap for mileage drop to 70 and seems to really improve. My buddy out of Billings was bragging about how he was consistently getting 20+ then came for a visit and dropped to just under 18 running in the mountains unloaded so location will also have a pretty substantial effect on mileage.
I have checked it by hand computer seems to be about .1 off is all. Everything is stock on mine. I do 80 on the interstate, use eco mode. If i do 65 70 I can get 17-18. My friend in texas has a 150 eco boost and never really goes over 65 and gets 20 plus. He came up here and it dropped to 17. Most of the reports I see with great mileage I assume people are going slow, like me dad would yell at me if i went over 55 in his cummins but god forbid you want to to stop and go to the bathroom on a trip cuz then you couldn't make good time. If you want some good mileage to post in your 7.3 go to west yellowstone, reset, then back to bozeman I can get almost 20 for 90 miles anyway.

Mine jumped back up to 17.4 yesterday after a drive down to SLC unloaded. I have been averaging about 13 mph towing 8k. I quit using tow/haul mode and my DEF consumption dropped dramatically. I read somewhere in tow/haul there’s a constant mild regeneration that sucks your DEF. On separate trips to Yellowstone and the Oregon coast my DEF dropped to 500 miles also, last trip to the Unitas it stayed above 3k. The diesel tows my load fine in normal driving mode. If you tow anything above 5k you are probably not going to like the 7.3L imo. It did ok with a 4k truck camper but started to struggle with the heavier travel trailer. Most of my towing is at altitude in UT/CO/Wy.
I was in tow haul mode. You have a 6.7 and a 7.3? I don't think I tow often enough for it to matter going to the 7.3. I can get a platinum with the winch and still come out ahead. Towing with the 6.7though i was pretty impressed. No problem accelerating up that 14% grade in Wyoming with a 7k trailer. I use mine more for hunting camping, hauling motorcycles and 4 wheelers and occaissianol horse or camp trailer. Went with the diesel originally for the mileage and because my 17 was the same price as 150 but it turned out to be a lemon and I got this 2020 diesel because I was afraid of trying a first year motor after my last experience with ford

I was in tow haul mode. You have a 6.7 and a 7.3? I don't think I tow often enough for it to matter going to the 7.3. I can get a platinum with the winch and still come out ahead. Towing with the 6.7though i was pretty impressed. No problem accelerating up that 14% grade in Wyoming with a 7k trailer. I use mine more for hunting camping, hauling motorcycles and 4 wheelers and occaissianol horse or camp trailer. Went with the diesel originally for the mileage and because my 17 was the same price as 150 but it turned out to be a lemon and I got this 2020 diesel because I was afraid of trying a first year motor after my last experience with ford
Traded in the 2020 F350 7.3L Tremor for a 2021 F350 6.7L Tremor. The 7.3L had a hint of 🍋 I have been very impressed with the 6.7L for towing and it even performs well off-road. Took it up to Willard Peak over the weekend and it was flawless.

Traded in the 2020 F350 7.3L Tremor for a 2021 F350 6.7L Tremor. The 7.3L had a hint of 🍋 I have been very impressed with the 6.7L for towing and it even performs well off-road. Took it up to Willard Peak over the weekend and it was flawless.
Yeah the motor is awesome. What problems did you have with 7.3? Seems like a crapshoot what you get either way. My 6.7 has had no issues. Just do more Offroad than towing and the complication of it has started to scare me. Hopefully I will be as happy with my switch

Yeah the motor is awesome. What problems did you have with 7.3? Seems like a crapshoot what you get either way. My 6.7 has had no issues. Just do more Offroad than towing and the complication of it has started to scare me. Hopefully I will be as happy with my switch
Check some of my other post. My issues were spark plug wires and battery related. I won’t own a diesel without an extensive ESP after my 2008 F350 detonated at 65k. I think the 7.3L is a good engine, Ford just needs to work through the early issues.

Back