7.3L dual battery wiring

elkhunter

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
silverado
Does anyone know how the factory wired the dual batteries? I'll be honest that I haven't traced any wires under the hood yet.

It would be great if there was an isolator between the two when not cranking. I bought it as an insurance policy to have more reliability in the backcountry if one goes bad. I'm hoping that one battery is used for auxiliary power while the other is reserved exclusively for cranking, and both are connected when cranking.

Great post Elkhunter and I was asking this same question yesterday. Hoping we get a Tremor expert to answer.

They're wired together. Hooking a battery charger to one will charge both, as an example.

They're wired together. Hooking a battery charger to one will charge both, as an example.
Is one the main battery for starting and the other an accessory battery or are both identical?

Current will draw from both when starting the truck.
They are both connected I have traced the wires the wiring harness are connected between both batteries and alternators and the starter and goes up to the top of the engine where I have lost it

would have been cool if they wired it like my boat. One crank and one house battery with a combine switch and automatic relay charger.

I'm sure someone willing could make that happen if they so wish.

Back