7.3L Issue: Cold-startup sound (RESOLVED: Fan clutch replaced)

Trämör

7.3L > 6.7L
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
BMW M4 Competition Convertible
Folks,

hate to have to post this here, but I thought it was enough oddity for me to ask the community. In full transparency: As long as I don’t feel a ride difference or see a CEL, I’m not concerned. How do you guys feel about this super weird cold startup sound my Tremor makes? Should I show the dealer? Not to worry?
FYI - video was taken after the truck was parked outside for the whole night and remote started it in the morning. Outside temp was 25F. Not the first time I hear it.

Folks,

hate to have to post this here, but I thought it was enough oddity for me to ask the community. In full transparency: As long as I don’t feel a ride difference or see a CEL, I’m not concerned. How do you guys feel about this super weird cold startup sound my Tremor makes? Should I show the dealer? Not to worry?
FYI - video was taken after the truck was parked outside for the whole night and remote started it in the morning. Outside temp was 25F. Not the first time I hear it.
View attachment 10609
Odd squeaky belt? Air intake noise? I've yet to hear that noise...doesn't sound normal.

I don't know what to make of that noise. You could email that video to your service advisor and see what they say.

Can you take another video with it quiet then cranking and then the noise, not sure what I am hearing but that doesnt sound right, like metal on metal screeching.

It goes away once engine is warm after cold start, about 45-75seconds. Only happens in freezing temps. Not when warm.

My biggest worry is that this is some kind of dry cranking sound because of lack of oil flow

Folks,

View attachment 10609
My brand new 2021 tremor makes the exact same noise when cold! Just noticed it today when I remote started the truck, 5 degrees out.

My brand new 2021 tremor makes the exact same noise when cold! Just noticed it today when I remote started the truck, 5 degrees out.
I called the dealer and sent the service advisor the video. Now I don’t know if I am to believe him, but he basically told me it’s normal/not concerning... his response was along the lines of:
“7.3L V8’s up and down the pike make this sound at cold-soak start, then after a minute or so it goes away. This is just part of a complex cold start procedure this engine has.”
Truly it is only a noise issue for me, but damn... weirdest cold start I’ve ever heard.

I called the dealer and sent the service advisor the video. Now I don’t know if I am to believe him, but he basically told me it’s normal/not concerning... his response was along the lines of:
“7.3L V8’s up and down the pike make this sound at cold-soak start, then after a minute or so it goes away. This is just part of a complex cold start procedure this engine has.”
Truly it is only a noise issue for me, but damn... weirdest cold start I’ve ever heard.
Well knowing that there are at least two of us out there with the same noise makes me feel a little better and your service adviser statement believable, and I’m like you as long as it goes away and it’s normal it don’t really bother me to much. I’ll take a video and send it to my dealer service department and see if we get the same response.

Hasn't been super cold where I live yet, been a few nights where it was in the 20's. Haven't heard that noise yet.

I would get a Second opinion from another dealer or technician

It's just one of those things... do I care enough to bring it in and have them do a proper investigation? I feel like even 5 days without a brand new truck is 5 days too much. There's no CEL, sound goes away, maybe it's just one of those oddities some trucks have and some don't. It also doesn't do it on every cold-soak start in cold temperatures. Some days it does, others it doesn't. Sending the video to different technicians is not really going to solve it. Some will say "whatever don't bother", others will go "bring it in". Ugh... I'll probably bring it in after Christmas or so...

Last edited:
UPDATE: I ended up bringing it to the dealer to get it checked out. Well, they apparently called Ford and did some investigations and now I have belt tensioners, pulleys, belt and bearings on order. They also said they’ll have to keep the truck because Ford recommended not to drive it...
I will know more next week, will post the parts list and exact fix here and see if the issue is resolved. Dealer didn’t sound very confident, said “Ford would give them a few attempts to fix it”.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I ended up bringing it to the dealer to get it checked out. Well, they apparently called Ford and and did some investigations and now I have belt tensioners, pulleys, belt and bearings on order. They also said they’ll have to keep the truck because Ford recommended not to drive it...
I will know more next week, will post the parts list and exact fix here and see if the issue is resolved. Dealer didn’t sound very confident, said “Ford would give them a few attempts to fix it”.
Called it!

Back