7.3L Cold air intake

BKTXFord

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Superduty Lariat Tremor
Anyone making a cold air intake for 7.3L gas yet?

I'm leery of any aftermarket cold air intakes as it seems like for many vehicles the airbox isn't usually an issue with temps or restrictions (at least on vehicles I've owned). Be careful you don't buy into the hype or a fad and actually reduce your performance and capability of the box and filter.

I would love to get my friend Legmaker to make us one, but he’s pretty well booked up with his Mopar crowd. His are the best going.

Looking at the factory intake I'm not sure if it is worth spending the money on a cold air intake for the 10-15 hp you might or might not gain. When I first popped the hood and saw what Ford put together I was pretty pleased. I put a k and n filter in and didn't really notice any mileage gains still 13.5-14.2 in my 7.3 4.30.

Looking at the factory intake I'm not sure if it is worth spending the money on a cold air intake for the 10-15 hp you might or might not gain. When I first popped the hood and saw what Ford put together I was pretty pleased. I put a k and n filter in and didn't really notice any mileage gains still 13.5-14.2 in my 7.3 4.30.

More about induction noise than power for most folks and most builds.

Folks with aftermarket cold air intakes crack me up. They all come with a factory cold air intake. I don’t believe the hype about added HP from a different setup. Especially on HD trucks. If the manufacturer can increase HP from the design of the air intake, they would. I’ll stick with the factory one.

More about induction noise than power for most folks and most builds.
I can get my head around this if that is the goal...

If the manufacturer can increase HP from the design of the air intake, they would. I’ll stick with the factory one.
Correct, except that there are other requirements (noise, water ingestion, etc) for the induction system that can be limiting from a flow perspective (see above).

This is similar to the cat delete discussion... There just aren't huge gains to be had by moving from the OEM design in the era of advance CAD, CAE/CFD, and manufacturing. Certainly there are trade-offs and constraints (noise, cost, etc) but these result in relatively small potential improvements.

I just installed a K&N cold air intake. I already had the Stainless Works Legend Cat Back, I drove it 3 times since installing it and I do notice an improvement. My Godzilla engine in my 2023 definately is improved with the K&N I am happy with it

I just installed a K&N cold air intake. I already had the Stainless Works Legend Cat Back, I drove it 3 times since installing it and I do notice an improvement. My Godzilla engine in my 2023 definately is improved with the K&N I am happy with it
What is the improvement you notice?

Back