7.3L 10-Speed Tranny Whine

Bowkill1

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor Sport 7.3L Star White
Has anyone else noticed a distinct and very audible whine from the tranny? Even at idle it is noticeable while standing outside of the truck and even more so under the truck specifically coming from the pan area. I really notice it while the windows are down driving in a parking garage, all RPMs. This noise combined with tranny temps hitting 225 in normal driving conditions at 30 degrees ambient is concerning. The truck sounds like it's got a Pro-Charger on it....

Also, the damn power steering pump whines like a 89' Ford Aerostar pump...

I have not heard that from mine at all. I have a 6.7l though.

7.3 with 1300 miles all quiet here other than seeing as high as 221 degrees all is good.

I am running around 190 degrees with no real load on the transmission, but do notice a slight whine from about 20mph down, coasting/braking to a stop. 2,200 miles. Not enough to make me want to take it in, but I noticed it. If the radio is on, or the A/C on high I cannot hear it. Even the seat coolers drown it out. It's not loud, but there. 6.7l diesel.

Ed

I’d like to not worry about an 80k truck having anything wrong. Or at least not having to wonder if a certain noise was normal.

My father in law had a Chevy 2500 with Allison,now that was a whiney tranny,but no issues with it.

Thanks all. I have an appointment to take it in on the 23rd for a transport damage issue on the rear bumper and I have a list of crap they need to address and the trans noise is one I wanted to have documented just in case. I bought the 19' knowing that the 7.3 and 10 spd was coming out because I was leery about getting the first run of the 7.3l and 10spd. Well it was totaled with 6k miles and that truck was perfect. Now I have some issues that just plain suck, hopefully not an issue in the future. I am going to take another truck for a test drive to see if my issues are unique or not.

Thanks all. I have an appointment to take it in on the 23rd for a transport damage issue on the rear bumper and I have a list of crap they need to address and the trans noise is one I wanted to have documented just in case. I bought the 19' knowing that the 7.3 and 10 spd was coming out because I was leery about getting the first run of the 7.3l and 10spd. Well it was totaled with 6k miles and that truck was perfect. Now I have some issues that just plain suck, hopefully not an issue in the future. I am going to take another truck for a test drive to see if my issues are unique or not.

Which issues are you having? Just curious as to what we all need to watch for on ours.

Some more important than others.
1. Trans whine
2. Engine/Trans vibration at 4k - 5k RPM (related to trans whine?)
2. Pwr steering is super noisy
3. HD radio no worky and other glitches with Sinc3
4. Crazy high trans temps.

Some more important than others.
1. Trans whine
2. Engine/Trans vibration at 4k - 5k RPM (related to trans whine?)
2. Pwr steering is super noisy
3. HD radio no worky and other glitches with Sinc3
4. Crazy high trans temps.

What trans temps are you seeing? They are spec'ing these at higher than normal temps... I saw 210 on my way into work
this morning.

I have some strange "sync" things as well, I hope there is a software update that may smoothen things out at some point

I have seen 225 deg on a 30deg day in low speed normal driving. I fret to see what it gets to towing on a 100 deg day. My 19' with the 6.2l and 6 speed never saw more than 205 and my 08' 6.4l that I still tow with is the same way. Not having an actual trans cooler in the front of the truck in clean air is my biggest concern. ATF doesn't do well over 200 degrees, I don't care if they put a sticker on the case that says it is okay. Plus the fact that I can't pull a dipstick to check color or odor of the ATF is just nuts! "Lifetime Trans Fluid" my ass. More like "Guaranteed Future Repairs" for Ford IMO.

Back