7.3.......why not the 3.5 Powerboost

MJL

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2018 f150
Is it just me or would the Tremor be better suited with 3.5 Powerboost vs the 7.3? The 3.5 has 430 hp and 570 lb of torque. Versus the 7.3 with 430 hp and 475 lb of torque.
Not to mention the fuel consumption would be significantly better. Plus lots of guys using these for work trucks all that battery power would come in handy at the job sites? Not sure how this engine would do towing vs the 7.3? Just food for thought?

No. Just no. EcoBurst is not a super duty engine. Superduty trucks need reliable, dependable, long life, easy to repair. Not complex, expensive, prone to breaking engine.

Not to mention, the 3.5L is tuned to the fine edge, the 7.3L has HUGE untapped potential, and doesn't sound like a Honda lawn mower :)

Engine 1.JPG

Ford press release.JPG

No. Just no. EcoBurst is not a super duty engine. Superduty trucks need reliable, dependable, long life, easy to repair. Not complex, expensive, prone to breaking engine.

Not to mention, the 3.5L is tuned to the fine edge, the 7.3L has HUGE untapped potential, and doesn't sound like a Honda lawn mower :)

View attachment 22046

View attachment 22047
?

you bring up a good point. I chose this truck hoping for long term reliability. I plan on putting a lot of miles on it. im hoping for easy repairs down the road.

Nah......I have a 3.5 EcoBoost right now in my F150......and there's not much eco about it.....at least for me. My last 3 V8 1/2 ton trucks have had more HP and gotten much better mileage than this EcoBoost truck. The best I have gotten out of this truck is 17-ish mpg. If I run around in sport mode, it goes down. If you put this engine in the SD, esp the Tremor, it's going to spend more time in boost, and guzzling more fuel.

I also want away from the complexities of the 3.5, or else I would just buy a 6.2 truck and be done with it. I like that Ford went back to a cam in block design pushrod engine.

7.3 for me.

Is it just me or would the Tremor be better suited with 3.5 Powerboost vs the 7.3? The 3.5 has 430 hp and 570 lb of torque. Versus the 7.3 with 430 hp and 475 lb of torque.
Not to mention the fuel consumption would be significantly better. Plus lots of guys using these for work trucks all that battery power would come in handy at the job sites? Not sure how this engine would do towing vs the 7.3? Just food for though
Not to mention the fuel consumption would be significantly better. Plus lots of guys using these for work trucks all that battery power would come in handy at the job sites? Not sure how this engine would do towing vs the 7.3? Just food for thought?
i agree with driftwood the 7.3L is at stock configuration probably using less than 50% of its potential that the engine can handle. The 3.5l is maxing out what it can do at those numbers. This truck and engine are built for easy maintenance and durability that’s not what the 3.5 could offer. You also got to see the consumer they are made for do you think those type of guys would prefer a smaller turbo engine or big non turbo? The 3.5 would have been a huge mistake it would have killed off so many sales. I for sure wouldn’t have bought one and I know I’m not alone on that either.

In a Superduty the 3.5 would spend most of it's life spooling the turbo......not good for longevity.
BUT it's the perfect engine for soccer moms throwing pom poms and groceries in the back of soft F150's.

In a Superduty the 3.5 would spend most of it's life spooling the turbo......not good for longevity.
BUT it's the perfect engine for soccer moms throwing pom poms and groceries in the back of soft F150's.
If I were going to buy another F150, it would be a 5.0 and not an Eco.
My last F150 work truck ('17 5.0) got better mileage and didn't have all of the complexity of the turbos, etc.
I bought my Eco thinking it would get better than my work truck, and that was a mistake.

Like I said above....not much Eco from my EcoBoost.

Turbo=more parts to break..no thanks. I know 3 different buddies that bought new expys for their wives..they have all been taken back and replaced with something else because of issues with the engines. Most went to Suburbans with a V8....Nice to have room and still be able to tow the boat to the Lake and not having to worry if you gonna make it.

This.

In normal driving in town my 7.3 rarely breaks 2,000 RPM. If I want just enough speed to get out ahead of traffic at a red light and go a little deeper in the gas then it will shift before 2,500 RPM. There is just not enough room with light enough traffic where I live to drive it harder. Well, until I get on the freeway then that's a different story.

I think a 3.5 would need to wind get up in its turbos to move the heavy hunk of metal in the street instances as fast as the 7.3.

The 7.3 uses 4th gear to climb my 16% grade driveway. The 3.5 will not do that.

That’s like saying a blender would be better for making sausage than a meat grinder. While a blender and a meat grinder both have a motor that turns, the way each motor works and their corresponding outcomes are totally different.

My first thought reading this "No. Just no. EcoBurst is not a super duty engine. Superduty trucks need reliable, dependable, long life, easy to repair. Not complex, expensive, prone to breaking engine.", that certainly has not been the case with a few of the recent diesel engines. I have owned all except the 6.4. I like the 6.7, and actually traded it in on my 7.3 because of most of the reasons you said.

A 430hp 3.5L is not the same as a 430hp 7.3L

Just like a 475hp 6.7L is not the same as 475hp 13L truck engine.

These engines are designed to do different amounts of physical work even though they have similar power numbers

Back