7.3 vs 6.7 Beating a dead horse

I am curious about these post on Diesels, how about a poll of diesel owners : like first time owner ? , or how long has one owned one .

A poll would be good, as would fuel mileage with actual facts and not stories! I just sold my 2018 6.7 with 22k miles for a 7.3 Tremor after a single test drive, and I never saw the diesel mileage people are claiming unless I drove 55mph on two lane highways.

For me mileage means nothing given the small difference...it's all about fun to drive and do-it-all capability from hobby farm work, snowmobile towing in the worst conditions, travel trailer trips to the hills, and hot ridding to work sometimes. When I want low operating cost I'll drive my electric commuter.

All fuel prices will go up, I was just in California and all fuel was over $3. Back home in Texas $1.80 for 85 and diesel $2.20, if I remember correctly. Point is not just gas will go up but diesel as well, it’s all already “high” in some states. Hopefully Costco can keep it “cheaper” if uncle Joe does in fact raise prices.
true.... my point is the 6.7 yields better MPG and as cost of fuels ( both ) rise the pay back on the up-charge for the diesel is reached faster. It becomes more desirable on the used market. I have had both diesel trucks and gas trucks 3/4 ton 1 ton and dually . Big block 454, V-10 Mopars, and assortment of Ford V-8s and always got premium resale for the diesels over the gas engines. Based on my 30 years in business. Small business have between 7-15 trucks depending on the years. I flip the trucks every 2 years.
If you need to sell off a truck when fuel is high I would rather have the diesel.

IF I DID not haul skid loaders and 5th wheel RV that weigh over 14K I would have purchased the 7.3 Tremor in F250. Like I said before the emission control overload on the 6.7 is crazy stupid government eco nazi bull shit.

A poll would be good, as would fuel mileage with actual facts and not stories! I just sold my 2018 6.7 with 22k miles for a 7.3 Tremor after a single test drive, and I never saw the diesel mileage people are claiming unless I drove 55mph on two lane highways.

For me mileage means nothing given the small difference...it's all about fun to drive and do-it-all capability from hobby farm work, snowmobile towing in the worst conditions, travel trailer trips to the hills, and hot ridding to work sometimes. When I want low operating cost I'll drive my electric commuter.
I sold my 6.7PS for a 7.3 gas. Love it.

Here’s the average over our thanksgiving trip. Running 80 mph plus for 3400 miles and 600 city miles with lots of idle and warm ups. 1200 lbs of cargo

You will be hard pressed to find some one who flat foots their truck more.

It does 15mpg at 95 mph in Mexico.

2020 f250 6.7 tremor.

Attachments

• 6A0681E9-6079-4361-A8EB-62751BB14036.jpeg
    6A0681E9-6079-4361-A8EB-62751BB14036.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 113
true.... my point is the 6.7 yields better MPG and as cost of fuels ( both ) rise the pay back on the up-charge for the diesel is reached faster. It becomes more desirable on the used market. I have had both diesel trucks and gas trucks 3/4 ton 1 ton and dually . Big block 454, V-10 Mopars, and assortment of Ford V-8s and always got premium resale for the diesels over the gas engines. Based on my 30 years in business. Small business have between 7-15 trucks depending on the years. I flip the trucks every 2 years.
If you need to sell off a truck when fuel is high I would rather have the diesel.

IF I DID not haul skid loaders and 5th wheel RV that weigh over 14K I would have purchased the 7.3 Tremor in F250. Like I said before the emission control overload on the 6.7 is crazy stupid government eco nazi bull shit.
True and make sense, but it all depends on how high prices go and the cost difference between gas and diesel. If gas and diesel get too high some people might move away from the trucks completely realizing they do not need 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle in their driveway. The 7.3 is too new to know what kind of value the 6.7 will hold over it, time will tell, but to me the difference between gas and diesel is shrinking. I feel that this is due to the emissions and complexity of the diesel, and how far gas engines have come over the years. I work with large ag equipment daily and when it comes time to replace equipment I look for used tier 3 equipment with low hours and well taken care of. The new equipment is too expensive and the emissions have made them a nightmare, and expensive, to work on when something geos wrong. I can see your point when keeping a truck for 2 years and able to operate under warranty, but someone keeping it longer out of warranty blows a turbo, fuel pump, DPF, DEF, or something well that just adds to the cost that the 7.3 does not have.

Reading the responses in this thread is like reading a comment section between liberals and trumpers. :ROFLMAO: It is funny to see the justifications made on either side.

In regards to MPG, I don't look at it from a cost but in reference to towing. While I may not buy a Tremor for MPG, it is a requirement for a couple of my usages with distance, not cost. Gas engines struggle in the mountains, and if they don't you pay for it in mileage. The 7.3 was fun to testdrive, but not near as fun as the 6.7 which does get better mileage in normal driving and especially when towing. Its nice to not stop every 200 miles for fuel or sometimes less depending upon head winds. Also your time should be important when using price to compare if something is worth it. Time adds up quickly. One could add a bigger fuel tank, but that then chips away at payload. It would be nice to see a Tremor in a long bed. I won't be rock crawling, but I will be using on jeep trails and off road, and the long bed would then offer a higher payload.

The only things I don't like about the current diesels are the emissions, and some repairs will require you to lift the body. Maintenance is slightly higher, but not something I worry about. Hopefully I'll be able to pass this truck down to my granddaughter when she gets her license as she already wants to ride in my new truck. I wished a 3 year old could comprehend time statements.

True and make sense, but it all depends on how high prices go and the cost difference between gas and diesel. If gas and diesel get too high some people might move away from the trucks completely realizing they do not need 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle in their driveway. The 7.3 is too new to know what kind of value the 6.7 will hold over it, time will tell, but to me the difference between gas and diesel is shrinking. I feel that this is due to the emissions and complexity of the diesel, and how far gas engines have come over the years. I work with large ag equipment daily and when it comes time to replace equipment I look for used tier 3 equipment with low hours and well taken care of. The new equipment is too expensive and the emissions have made them a nightmare, and expensive, to work on when something geos wrong. I can see your point when keeping a truck for 2 years and able to operate under warranty, but someone keeping it longer out of warranty blows a turbo, fuel pump, DPF, DEF, or something well that just adds to the cost that the 7.3 does not have.

Spot on! I drive a diesel every day and have been for 20 years and love them ..but this new 7.3 could be like the early first gen. Cummins with history of low maintenance and toughness and easy to work on..minus the electronics . We will see in a year when the resells start popping up.

The airplanes I fly make over 4,000 pounds of thrust per engine and burns jet fuel, which is basically diesel. It has a 1,000 gallon tank and thankfully I don’t have to pay to fill her up. What I am getting at is 1,050 torque is child’s play, so I prefer the sounds of the big block.

The airplanes I fly make over 4,000 pounds of thrust per engine and burns jet fuel, which is basically diesel. It has a 1,000 gallon tank and thankfully I don’t have to pay to fill her up. What I am getting at is 1,050 torque is child’s play, so I prefer the sounds of the big block.
I thought jet fuel was basically kerosene?

Interesting Petroleum tidbit, when they first started refining oil to get kerosene for cooking and lighting (pre-electric days), gasoline was considered one of the useless byproducts and they used to dump it.

Navy used JP5, not sure how close that is to kerosene or diesel or what.

I see a 15 6.7 come in regularly running 20MPG as they age it seems like mileage goes up. I vote diesel both for longevity and oh 1000 FT LBS lol.

Navy used JP5, not sure how close that is to kerosene or diesel or what.
Our Apache helicopters used JP8. We ran JP8 in all of our diesel vehicles as well. Just had to add a quart of oil to every other tank to keep from burning up the engine. We could run those diesels on heating fuel as well. Talk about bad ass engines....

Seriously, get what makes you happy!
I got the 6.7 because I wanted it. Period. Nope, don’t tow (yet). Have mostly short trips (work 5 miles away). But I love diesels and especially the 6.7 scorpion! If I could make it to 250,000 miles on my last truck, a 2004 F350 with the wonderful 6.0 international POS diesel, and then had to put a new HPOP in (did all work myself) Also redid solder points on the FICM myself. Now the motor is eating a lifter (another known problem with those engines). Point is, if I could get 250,000 miles out of THAT engine, then the bulletproof 6.7 should not be an issue. Plus, I already have a 513ci 385 series BBF in my off road truck. Yes, oil changes and filter changes are more expensive, but I did not buy a 1 ton truck to worry about those costs, same as others getting a 1 ton gasser aren’t too concerned with fuel mileage. Get what you really want, as long as you understand that ups and downs associated with it you will be happy!

Seriously, get what makes you happy!
I got the 6.7 because I wanted it. Period. Nope, don’t tow (yet). Have mostly short trips (work 5 miles away). But I love diesels and especially the 6.7 scorpion! If I could make it to 250,000 miles on my last truck, a 2004 F350 with the wonderful 6.0 international POS diesel, and then had to put a new HPOP in (did all work myself) Also redid solder points on the FICM myself. Now the motor is eating a lifter (another known problem with those engines). Point is, if I could get 250,000 miles out of THAT engine, then the bulletproof 6.7 should not be an issue. Plus, I already have a 513ci 385 series BBF in my off road truck. Yes, oil changes and filter changes are more expensive, but I did not buy a 1 ton truck to worry about those costs, same as others getting a 1 ton gasser aren’t too concerned with fuel mileage. Get what you really want, as long as you understand that ups and downs associated with it you will be happy!
A few mods to the 6.0 that are inexpensive would have made that run forever 750k on my buddys 6.0

A few mods to the 6.0 that are inexpensive would have made that run forever 750k on my buddys 6.0
Don’t worry, it’s not done yet!
Rebuild (with choice mods) are planned! Pulling it apart now.

Don’t worry, it’s not done yet!
Rebuild (with choice mods) are planned! Pulling it apart now.
Ok just for giggles, when you can post some pics of it.

Back