7.3 Tremor in the shop

Jonnyguitar

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
7.3 F250 Tremor King Ranch
My 7.3 Tremor King Ranch is in the shop with some gremlins. Last week it didn't want to start and various messages came up on the control panel. After a bit it started and acted fine. Today I was going to grab some lunch and had trouble starting it. It finally turned over on the 3rd or 4th try. As I was driving it the yellow wrench symbol came on and it was running rough. As I continued to drive the service engine light came on. I turned around and parked it so I could call the dealer. When I started it back up to take to the dealer for service it was running great with no warning symbols. Hopefully they can figure it out as I really love the truck. Almost to 1300 miles and it doesn't make you warm and fuzzy feeling about your truck when it has issues this soon. I picked the 7.3 as it is an old school V8 and should be reliable and long lasting. Will post what happens if it is worthy of note.

THANKS FOR THE INFO

Sorry to hear that , my truck is also having problems 10R140 transmission failed in less than 100 miles I got one day out of the truck it’s been sitting at dealer apart for over two weeks. Converter failed or something in Valvebody was keeping in lock up . Waiting for new transmission , this has been a nightmare ?

I hope you get your truck back soon and fixed for good.

Dang that sucks. I hope it's just some.bad sensor. As for C Vega. I hope that it was a one time deal and it gets Fixed for good. Hope you guys are on the road asap

That's a bummer. I've never had any major issue with my Ford trucks (2013 Ecoboost, 2017 Raptor) - Hopefully it's just a one time thing. Please keep us updated on the fix.

Sorry to hear that , my truck is also having problems 10R140 transmission failed in less than 100 miles I got one day out of the truck it’s been sitting at dealer apart for over two weeks. Converter failed or something in Valvebody was keeping in lock up . Waiting for new transmission , this has been a nightmare ?

Nothing like dropping that kind of money and having it sit somewhere else. Hopefully the dealership is making it right?

Thanks everyone, yeah I’m thinking just faulty solinoid in transmission keeping lock up on full time truck started to have a vibration during down shift then started smelling burnt like fluid smell , then when coming to a red light or stop sign truck kept lurching foward as if it was a manual transmission and didn’t step on clutch I immediately stopped driving it . It never kicked any lights on but trans temp was up pretty high , definitely sucks I didn’t even get to set my radio stations yet , I’m gonna push to be compensated first payment and a extended premium care .

Not great news for those of us that ordered the new 7.3 gas and the new 10 speed tranny. Keep up the reports as we’re all interested to hear how Ford handles this and treats you both. Best of luck in getting things fixed.

Grrrrrrr say it ain't so! ☹

Dammit not what I wanted to read! I just surrendered my 18 Raptor due to it being a lemon with electrical issues and not starting. They changed bcm, pcm, body harness and engine harness but it never got fixed. I am driving my Tremor now as the replacement and went with the 6.7. I drive it everyday hoping I never go through the whole buyback process again.

Damn that's a shame. Sorry to hear it

that sucks, I had one car purchased back by the manufacturer, I has to sign paperwork can not speak of the details but I was more than compensated. NO need for a lawyer. BUT..... Keep a log of the problems and keep track of dates, times in the shop. You are building a case and the better your evidence is the better your out come. Don't be a Dick to the service writers or dealers won't get you anywhere.

So so sorry to hear this! Keep your head up they will make it right!!

Good advice Paparaptor. Dealer called today and said no codes were found and running fine. They wanted to know if they could do some substantial driving with it to include the tech taking it home if they couldn't duplicate today. I reluctantly agreed but said it's not a distance driving issue, but rather something goes wrong when you try to start it. In hindsight I should have taken a picture while warning lights were on. I will do it if it happens again. Keeping all relevant paperwork but hoping it gets fixed. It is a great, strong truck and I want to have it for a very long time.

Good advice Paparaptor. Dealer called today and said no codes were found and running fine. They wanted to know if they could do some substantial driving with it to include the tech taking it home if they couldn't duplicate today. I reluctantly agreed but said it's not a distance driving issue, but rather something goes wrong when you try to start it. In hindsight I should have taken a picture while warning lights were on. I will do it if it happens again. Keeping all relevant paperwork but hoping it gets fixed. It is a great, strong truck and I want to have it for a very long time.
let em take it hopefully they have a loaner for you. Just keep track of it.

I have a very good friend who is a service manager at a BMW/Mercedes Benz dealer. he had to drive a customers new BMW M5 for a week straight to find a problem which they did.

Thanks Paparaptor. They gave me a Ford escape with less than 300 miles on it. Not what I am used to driving, but nice for a loaner. It doesn't look like the tech ook it home last night as my Ford app shows it as being at the dealer. I hope they can figure it out quickly. I was willing to consider the 1st time operator error as I have never had a push button start, but 2nd time there is something going on. And C-vega, please keep us posted on how it goes with your Tremor.

Thanks Paparaptor. They gave me a Ford escape with less than 300 miles on it. Not what I am used to driving, but nice for a loaner. It doesn't look like the tech ook it home last night as my Ford app shows it as being at the dealer. I hope they can figure it out quickly. I was willing to consider the 1st time operator error as I have never had a push button start, but 2nd time there is something going on. And C-vega, please keep us posted on how it goes with your Tremor.
I had a starting problem with my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. sometimes it would not start. I had it towed on a flat bed to the dealership 5 times in a 3 week period. They replaced the battery, the ignition switch then finally they figured out it was a part in the computer they called a "TIPM" switch. My jeep was not a push button and is manual trans. I thought it was a safety switch on the clutch. Turns out with a new TIPM it has been fine.

Two thoughts on the push button start, My old Ford Fiesta ST had a push button and if you just pushed it the car would crank and start. My SRT Hellcat has a push button but its a momentary switch ( like a horn button0 you must hold the button down until the engine starts. So I am thinking the Tremor push button would be the same type as the Fiesta and not a momentary switch type. So there is more computer working and thinking. I did like that I could just bump the start button and it would just fire right up.

If it has to be held to start, it isn't long at all. I asked the dealer at delivery about the push button on the 6.7 (since with a key you can turn power on the the glow plugs and they can warm up before it starts) dealer said... nope nothing special just push it and it will do its thing. I did notice on the colder mornings it has an ever so slight delay before firing, not much of one, but slightly longer than if it was warmer out.

Back