7.3 oil fill location

PapaRaptor

Tremor Maniac
Reaction Points
Current Ride
6.7 F350 Tremor "Velocity" Blue Lariat Sport
Current Ride #2
7.3 F350 Iconic silver THE SILVER FOX
Just did my first oil change, the break in oil change.
On the bottom side the oil filter location and drain plug are very easy to access and service.
On the top side the small oil fill cap and location on an angle made for an interesting time replacing the oil.
I have an assortment of funnels, still it was a pain. Any one have any tricks out there for simple oil fill on the 7.3???

On the bottom side the oil filter location and drain plug are very easy to access and service.
On the top side the small oil fill cap and location on an angle made for an interesting time replacing the oil.
I have an assortment of funnels, still it was a pain. Any one have any tricks out there for simple oil fill on the 7.3???
I like the funnel shown in the previous response. I didn't know about that one and found this one instead also available on amazon. The nice thing about this one is its capacity, holds about a gallon in the funnel. I did cut about an inch and a half off the spout to make it fit a little tighter in the fill port.

1624227618003.png

I use a funnel like this one. It locks into where the the oil cap goes, and it stays there.

For real? As in you successfully used it?

After my first oil/filter change I ordered the twin to that under a different name, and the valve cover bolts next to the oil filler hole prevent its use. I was really disappointed. It's useless on the 7.3, at least the one I bought. It looks visually-identical to what you linked to - the the point I would assume the same manufacturer, as is often the case with amazon products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY839T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the OP, yes, it is a notable PITA to refill the oil on the 7.3 in these trucks, in the context of the ease of the task normally experienced.

I agree the "lock on" oil filler funnel is a great Idea but it needs an angle and larger capacity. At least the filter and plug are easy to get at.

For real? As in you successfully used it?

After my first oil/filter change I ordered the twin to that under a different name, and the valve cover bolts next to the oil filler hole prevent its use. I was really disappointed. It's useless on the 7.3, at least the one I bought. It looks visually-identical to what you linked to - the the point I would assume the same manufacturer, as is often the case with amazon products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY839T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the OP, yes, it is a notable PITA to refill the oil on the 7.3 in these trucks, in the context of the ease of the task normally experienced.
Yes, I agree it is a bit difficult to make it “Lock in “ but it still stays without me having to hold it in place. And I’m able to refill using gallon sized jugs without the funnel falling off. Other than that issue, the oil change is really easy and I don’t even have to use a jack. I’m also going to change out the plug to an EZ Drain valve the next time I’m under the truck to make things go even faster.

A lock in funnel but change the Funnel to a 1 1/2 inch short hose that you can attach to the bottle, just need some type of breather. Would be slick. Fill it with larger 5 qt bottles.

I like the funnel shown in the previous response. I didn't know about that one and found this one instead also available on amazon. The nice thing about this one is its capacity, holds about a gallon in the funnel. I did cut about an inch and a half off the spout to make it fit a little tighter in the fill port.

View attachment 26344
Hey fellas with the 7.3. I know this isn't the cheapest funnel around but it works great with the 7.3. It's very large and solid and is almost impossible to spill while filling with oil. The tip can be trimmed for a better fit. It does lean a little to the side when resting in the fill port but this in no way diminishes its function. I think it will hold almost the entire 5qt jug. See the link above.

1624303616196.png
1624305253172.png

They do make a straight version as well that may work better with the 6.7, I'm just not familiar with the filler configuration of the 6.7.

1624303333731.png

If you do your own oil changes and are frustrated consider giving this a try, I love mine.

Last edited:
Next time use the oil fill location and not the dip stick tube :ROFLMAO: Although I have watched someone try to do this before

Next time use the oil fill location and not the dip stick tube :ROFLMAO: Although I have watched someone try to do this before
I know I have a small funnel but thats a tight hole :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back