7.3 liter mpg

I haven't gotten my truck yet (3 more weeks). But I am looking into the mileage it should get. Many have said they are getting 11-13 mpg under standard unloaded conditions. It is my understanding that Ford's intended use of the Tremor is Off-Road, and maybe towing. I think this is why they put the 4.3:1 differential gears in it. So, I have done some calculations.

I picked my average speed of 70 mph, and compared all the gear ratios. A 7.3L Tremor (w/ 4.3:1 diff and 35" tires) should turn 1828 rpm at 70 mph. That is really high rpm for cruising, and thus the poor gas mileage.

For comparison, a standard truck with 3.73 diff and 33" tires should run 1682 rpm at the same speed. It should get much better mileage. Maybe 16-18 mpg.

It stands to reason if we can get the rpm down on the 7.3L Tremor into the 1500-1700 rpm range, then the mileage should improve at cruising speeds. My calculations show that if you put 40's on a Tremor the rpm at 70 mph should be 1600.

So, by my logic, if you want better gas mileage at cruising speeds, get 40's, or at least 37's.

So is there anyone out there with a 7.3L Tremor with 37's or bigger? If so, what gas mileage are you getting at highway speeds?

I agree with your logic on the RAR. I would have bought a 3.73 if offered.

With the tires, you lose out. Taller equals more frontal area, and more aero drag. Taller also increases rolling mass and likely rolling resistance as well. It will be a net loss.

Source: Used to be a vehicle performance and fuel economy engineer at a commercial truck OEM.

I agree with your logic on the RAR. I would have bought a 3.73 if offered.

With the tires, you lose out. Taller equals more frontal area, and more aero drag. Taller also increases rolling mass and likely rolling resistance as well. It will be a net loss.

Source: Used to be a vehicle performance and fuel economy engineer at a commercial truck OEM.
Understood, but don't say that too loud, my wife might hear you. LOL

I haven't gotten my truck yet (3 more weeks). But I am looking into the mileage it should get. Many have said they are getting 11-13 mpg under standard unloaded conditions. It is my understanding that Ford's intended use of the Tremor is Off-Road, and maybe towing. I think this is why they put the 4.3:1 differential gears in it. So, I have done some calculations.

I picked my average speed of 70 mph, and compared all the gear ratios. A 7.3L Tremor (w/ 4.3:1 diff and 35" tires) should turn 1828 rpm at 70 mph. That is really high rpm for cruising, and thus the poor gas mileage.

For comparison, a standard truck with 3.73 diff and 33" tires should run 1682 rpm at the same speed. It should get much better mileage. Maybe 16-18 mpg.

It stands to reason if we can get the rpm down on the 7.3L Tremor into the 1500-1700 rpm range, then the mileage should improve at cruising speeds. My calculations show that if you put 40's on a Tremor the rpm at 70 mph should be 1600.

So, by my logic, if you want better gas mileage at cruising speeds, get 40's, or at least 37's.

So is there anyone out there with a 7.3L Tremor with 37's or bigger? If so, what gas mileage are you getting at highway speeds?
I talked to a guy with a F350, 7.3 with 3.73 and he said he was getting 16-18 mpg regularly. So the 7.3 is capable of good mileage just the tremor package does everything you could do to kill mileage. If I went with a non tremor I would probably go F350 with 3.73 rear, 3.55 might be too high for my liking.

I went back and forth for a while on tremor or an fx4 with 3.73 just because of gas Mileage but I would’ve want to get bigger tires an lift right away on an fx4 and that would’ve negated the mpg thing so i finally decided stick with tremor its engineered for the set up . So when my wifes car craps out ill get her an electric or something to make up the mpg loss

I have just shy of 180 miles on the odometer and I'm no better than 8.6 mpg right now with the 7.3L. It was 8.1 a couple of days ago when I picked up the truck so I guess it's loosening up a little bit? I haven't tried ECO mode yet so maybe I can do better with it.
Just over 650 miles now and managed to reach 9.5 mpg. I Took it out of Eco and just started driving it like I stole it and the mileage went up. Also switched to 93 octane and that seemed to help quite a bit which makes sense. Also just added a 5 Star tune (93 Perf) this evening and all I can say about it is WOW! It completely changed the way the truck shifts, accelerates, and the terrible throttle response. I’ve had 5 Star tunes on everything back to my 14’ F150 ecoboost and they have all been great tunes.

I also spent a few hours Sun setting up my Bullrtproof hitch and 10K lb. 34’ travel trailer. I went with the 8” drop and it’s perfect for my setup. Even without the tune it towed 10K great. Super stable. I’m also expecting the 5 Star 93 Daily/Tow tune will also be excellent.

Honestly, I love everything about this truck..

I feel like the truck keeps getting better as I drive. Just hit 1000 miles. Towing a 2500 lb utility trailer with golf cart on it, I was getting 13.8 for the 25 mile journey. That was 3/4 country roads with stops and turns. 1/4 city. I get 11-12 pure suburb/city with a good amount of stop and go. Took about 120 mile drive last weekend mostly country driving and was getting 15-17. That is consistent for the past few drives in the country. I use cruise control when I have long stretches. I got 8.8 on my first tank with mostly country driving. I wasn't expecting it to be so low without a load. So glad its gone up since then.

I get better mileage than I do in my corvette.

Attachments

• 9CAB70DD-BCED-4757-ABFA-3B43A22AC986.png
    9CAB70DD-BCED-4757-ABFA-3B43A22AC986.png
    948.8 KB · Views: 192
0BD65B77-E439-4999-A279-54160842DAD1.jpeg

Figured I’d chime in. This was the other day running 90 ethanol free. Highest I’ve seen on the range thus far (I’m up
To about 2500 miles now). I’m going to run a few tanks of 93 10% (or less) ethanol and see how it differs (if at all).

Hey Ford family!! I just picked up my 2022 350 Lariat Tremor 7.3 :))) went in to order a 250 - but a customers order fell through so they just put out the rig and I got on it right away!!! 5 miles on the odometer- I’m averaging 11.5- didn’t know there was A break in period hahaha! I’m hoping I get 15

Attachments

• FD61E13C-D278-46E9-AE2A-6E4F9D4DE863.jpeg
    FD61E13C-D278-46E9-AE2A-6E4F9D4DE863.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 93
500 miles in running 91. I mostly use Eco mode and I'm getting an average of 12.2.
Work commute has me stopping at a stop sign or light maybe 4-5 times in a 10 minute drive. Commute to work is flat. However, the weekend drives have been all mountain drives for the kids traveling soccer team.

On a 102 mile round trip to work i get about 14.6 on 89 on the way to work and after i get home which is driving back down the mountain i get 16.1 that is going mostly 67mph 85% of the trip this is now that i have 5000 miles on the truck in eco mode. early on i would get 14 mpg at best round trip

Did a 800 mile round-trip yesterday from Reno to Las Vegas and then back to Reno. Left at 05:00 and got home at 22:30. Cruise control was set at 70MPH for trip down and back on the highway, and there was probably 30 miles of city driving down in Vegas. I averaged 15.0 MPG exactly using my phone app to track. The truck told me 15.4 MPG average, so it's reading just a tad optimistically.

Started the trip with just under 3,000 miles on the truck, finished just over 3,800. Truck was completely unloaded, I was the only occupant and no cargo whatsoever. Stock tires running 60f/65r. Chevron and Maverik 87 Octane.

Back