7.3 godzilla will not start

I know this isn't helpful, but I just keep seeing these quality issues pop up in this forum.

I've seen more quality issues, and serious problems, in this forum with only 3 production years of a truck than I have in the entire time I've been on the Tundras forum, and I joined that forum in 2016 and am still active there..

I can only think of 1 or 2 complaints of a new Tundra owner that were more than a minor "i wish the infotainment system was better" or "Ford has a more refined interior."

Even the Tundra that melted while rescuing people in that California fire still started up and ran when Toyota replaced it for free..

I'm just waiting for the day my truck doesn't start or spontaneously combusts or something. =\
I’ve had multiple tundras as well and I’m still active on that forum too. But remember the tundra hasn’t changed in 15 years. It should be reliable. We will see what happens with the redesign. Remember the cam leak used to be worse and so was the rusting issue for the tundra. But unlike others my 2018 tundra was bought back under the lemon law. Then the TRD pro I got after had issues I needed to get fixed in the first thousand miles. Broken seat weld, loose door panel, loose third brake light and etc.

I know this isn't helpful, but I just keep seeing these quality issues pop up in this forum.

I've seen more quality issues, and serious problems, in this forum with only 3 production years of a truck than I have in the entire time I've been on the Tundras forum, and I joined that forum in 2016 and am still active there..

I can only think of 1 or 2 complaints of a new Tundra owner that were more than a minor "i wish the infotainment system was better" or "Ford has a more refined interior."

Even the Tundra that melted while rescuing people in that California fire still started up and ran when Toyota replaced it for free..

I'm just waiting for the day my truck doesn't start or spontaneously combusts or something. =\
The Tremor has only existed during the covid era, just for starters.

The Tremor has only existed during the covid era, just for starters.

But it's based on a platform that existed prior to Covid.

Previous platforms have a similar occurrence of quality issues.

I'm happy with my truck, but it appears to be more than just a joke when people talk about quality issues with the big 3.

I’ve had multiple tundras as well and I’m still active on that forum too. But remember the tundra hasn’t changed in 15 years. It should be reliable. We will see what happens with the redesign. Remember the cam leak used to be worse and so was the rusting issue for the tundra. But unlike others my 2018 tundra was bought back under the lemon law. Then the TRD pro I got after had issues I needed to get fixed in the first thousand miles. Broken seat weld, loose door panel, loose third brake light and etc.

Even the first 3 years of the 2nd gen didn't have anywhere near this frequency of problems.

I also had two 2.5 gen Tundras and not a single problem with either.

The cam tower leak was never a show stopper, and even the worst instance was just a very, very slow leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it's based on a platform that existed prior to Covid.

Previous platforms have a similar occurrence of quality issues.

I'm happy with my truck, but it appears to be more than just a joke when people talk about quality issues with the big 3.

You specifically referenced posts on this forum. This forum came about with the Tremor and the covid trucks. So your sample size is the covid trucks.

You specifically referenced posts on this forum. This forum came about with the Tremor and the covid trucks. So your sample size is the covid trucks.

Over the same period of time we are not seeing anywhere near this many quality complaints about the Tundra, which is also being manufactured during Covid, in Texas.

I'm very happy with my Tremor. I'm just saying that all the shit-talking on the various Toyota forums is manifesting as reality and it's a bit shocking. It's not meant to be an attack, but to call out the demonstrable difference in quality between the two manufacturers.

If it makes you feel better I believe it's even worse for GM and Dodge, which is why I bought a Ford.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the same period of time we are not seeing anywhere near this many quality complaints about the Tundra, which is also being manufactured during Covid, in Texas.

I'm very happy with my Tremor. I'm just saying that all the shit-talking on the various Toyota forums is manifesting as reality and it's a bit shocking. It's not meant to be an attack, but to call out the demonstrable difference in quality between the two manufacturers.

If it makes you feel better I believe it's even worse for GM and Dodge, which is why I bought a Ford.

Makes no difference to me. I agree that there is a problem that needs to be resolved. I am not a brand loyalist.

I was simply pointing out a few things.

On the largest Tundra and 4runner forums there isn't even a forum called "XXXXX Problems"

🤷‍♂️

That is due to the owners of the forum and their choice of naming conventions. Has nothing at all to do with the existence of problems or not.

That is due to the owners of the forum and their choice of naming conventions. Has nothing at all to do with the existence of problems or not.

... You're not completely wrong, but you seem to discount that I'm telling you I've spent the last 6 years on those forums and see WAY MORE problem threads in the short period I've been here.

My guess is that if a topic comes up enough the message board management will create a space for it. It's just good organization and management.

... You're not completely wrong, but you seem to discount that I'm telling you I've spent the last 6 years on those forums and see WAY MORE problem threads in the short period I've been here.

My guess is that if a topic comes up enough the message board management will create a space for it. It's just good organization and management.

You seem to give about 10,000x more credit than is warranted towards your anecdotal experience.

On the largest Tundra and 4runner forums there isn't even a forum called "XXXXX Problems"

🤷‍♂️
Listen I liked my tundra just as much as you. great truck. Even the one they bought back under the lemon law was great besides the short in the pre-collision system. I wish it came without it honestly. But if you go in the stickies on the second 2.5 GEN thread you have multiple threads and polls for problems.

Stickies
-cam leak
-pre-collision issue

then for the 21’s you have these threads
-bell housing leak
-power window issue
-truck won’t start

I won’t name them all but you get my point. Every manufacture has issues. Yes Toyota has less but everyone has issues.

Listen I liked my tundra just as much as you. great truck. Even the one they bought back under the lemon law was great besides the short in the pre-collision system. I wish it came without it honestly. But if you go in the stickies on the second 2.5 GEN thread you have multiple threads and polls for problems.

Stickies
-cam leak
-pre-collision issue

then for the 21’s you have these threads
-bell housing leak
-power window issue
-truck won’t start

I won’t name them all but you get my point. Every manufacture has issues. Yes Toyota has less but everyone has issues.

Toyota has FAR less.

None of those are

Transmission broken, been in shop 4 weeks
Brand new truck won't start
Fit and finish damage all over brand new truck
Spark plug wires spontaneously combusting
Transmission fluid leak in BRAND NEW TRUCK

etc

Yeah, I didn't claim Toyota didn't have issues. My claim was that the frequency and severity of the issues reported here in a short period exceed both the rate and severity of issues I saw with any Toyota I've ever owned over a far greater period. I still make that claim.

Toyota has FAR less.

None of those are

Transmission broken, been in shop 4 weeks
Brand new truck won't start
Fit and finish damage all over brand new truck
Spark plug wires spontaneously combusting
Transmission fluid leak in BRAND NEW TRUCK

etc

Yeah, I didn't claim Toyota didn't have issues. My claim was that the frequency and severity of the issues reported here in a short period exceed both the rate and severity of issues I saw with any Toyota I've ever owned over a far greater period. I still make that claim.
I wish they would come out with an SD version to haul around 3000lbs. But that likely won’t happen even though Mike Sweers loves Diesel engines

Ford has pretty bad quality control. They still build these things like it’s the 1970’s.

Toyota set the bar for modern manufacturing and quality control.

But Tundra’s are fugly and make me feel like I’m driving around in mom’s minivan.

So fluid leaks it is.

Mine sometimes takes 3-4 seconds of cranking before it fires up. Only happens when it is hot outside and I've turned the engine off within 10 minutes. Probably happened 15-20 times since owning my pre-covid truck. At least it starts every time even if it is a little embarrassing. I have used Forscan, everything else stock.

You’re right. Not helpful.

For a person having this issue, I learned nothing from your post.

15 years owning first and second gen Tundras. The fact is Toyota does a far better job engineering and building a quality product. On Tundra forums the posts are mostly about which tire/wheel combo and which exhaust. Big 3 forums are almost comically different and loaded with posts about substantial problems.

I'm leaving Toyota to try a Ford but if the blue oval lets me down i'll go right back to a pre '22 Tundra.

Back