7.3 electrical issue

TxTremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Hey guys

I have a 2020 7.3 tremor and just noticed a humming noise (almost like a pump/actuator) coming from the truck when it is off. It’s the same noise I would hear getting in to start it. However yesterday it started doing it every 15 sec or so and I also noticed the LED lights humming continuously as well. This morning it wasn’t doing it but I ran it for 20 minutes and after I shut it off it started again, Im guessing since the battery charged back up. Tried removing the key, turning lights to off instead of auto but made no difference. Plan to take the truck to the dealer tomorrow but seeing if anyone has had this issue as well. Noise seems to be from the front and rear and only last for a sec or two but does it every 15 sec or so.

thanks for any help

Hey guys

I have a 2020 7.3 tremor and just noticed a humming noise (almost like a pump/actuator) coming from the truck when it is off. It’s the same noise I would hear getting in to start it. However yesterday it started doing it every 15 sec or so and I also noticed the LED lights humming continuously as well. This morning it wasn’t doing it but I ran it for 20 minutes and after I shut it off it started again, Im guessing since the battery charged back up. Tried removing the key, turning lights to off instead of auto but made no difference. Plan to take the truck to the dealer tomorrow but seeing if anyone has had this issue as well. Noise seems to be from the front and rear and only last for a sec or two but does it every 15 sec or so.

thanks for any help
I have heard something similar, but haven't really paid it much attention. I telework most of the time now so it will sit for days at a time. I notice it every time I open the door to grab something or put something in it and the sound will come on for a bit. Next time I'm out in the garage I don't hear it.

That's all I got sorry.

Thanks, yeah it’s not a new noise but new that it is consistently doing it and that the led lights are humming for a long period of time. I checked it after a few hours last night and same thing. I hope it’s just a bad connection or relay or something very minor. It runs fine, drove it twice today already and no issues.

Humming is never good. It also means you haven't seen THEM yet!

I have heard something similar, but haven't really paid it much attention. I telework most of the time now so it will sit for days at a time. I notice it every time I open the door to grab something or put something in it and the sound will come on for a bit. Next time I'm out in the garage I don't hear it.

That's all I got sorry.
Thats the fuel pump. The truck uses a low pressure fuel pump to move fuel to the high pressure pump. The low pressure pump sits in the bottom of the tank and the high pressure pump sits near the engine. Because the high pressure pump sits higher than the tank and it is not a self priming pump the low pressure pump in the tank activates to send fuel up to the high pressure pump before the high pressure fuel pump turns on. This is done to ease starting and extend the life of the high pressure fuel pump.

Thats the fuel pump. The truck uses a low pressure fuel pump to move fuel to the high pressure pump. The low pressure pump sits in the bottom of the tank and the high pressure pump sits near the engine. Because the high pressure pump sits higher than the tank and it is not a self priming pump the low pressure pump in the tank activates to send fuel up to the high pressure pump before the high pressure fuel pump turns on. This is done to ease starting and extend the life of the high pressure fuel pump.
This is what I figured it was but now it’s not shutting off but continuing to cycle and the led lights continue to hum long after the truck shuts off.

This is what I figured it was but now it’s not shutting off but continuing to cycle and the led lights continue to hum long after the truck shuts off.
I was responding to plethoragreen for his observations.

I think you have a bad ballast I dont think the OEM lights have fans

What LED lights are humming?
Headlights are humming, I just dropped it off at the dealer tonight so hopefully it does it for them as well. I could hear the fuel pump continue to cycle on and off long after the truck was off and then noticed the LED headlights continued to hum for awhile after as well. I would normally hear a short noise from the headlights turning off the truck, and the fuel pump when I would open the door, but this was for much longer, hours, so I know something isn't right. I tried removing the key, switching the lights to off, running the truck, but made no difference so I will see what the dealer says.

Just wanted to update for anyone else that might experience the same thing, but the dealer just called and said it looks like a bad power distribution box and ordered a new one. They said it started doing having a issues with lights, horn, and other items so hopefully this gets it fixed.

Talked with the service manager yesterday, they got a new body control module in and installed in the truck. Started it up and ran the truck, shut it down and continued original issue. They contacted Ford and were told to check main vehicle wire harness, as they have had some issues with those, found a bad spot where wire rubbed through. Dealer is now trying to get Ford to replace entire harness seeing it is a brand new truck and worried about possible other "bad spots" in the harness. Pretty frustrating but dealer does seems to be working to resolve the issue, I am going to talk to them today about ford providing an extended warranty and I will also contact ford directly about the issue.

Talked with the service manager yesterday, they got a new body control module in and installed in the truck. Started it up and ran the truck, shut it down and continued original issue. They contacted Ford and were told to check main vehicle wire harness, as they have had some issues with those, found a bad spot where wire rubbed through. Dealer is now trying to get Ford to replace entire harness seeing it is a brand new truck and worried about possible other "bad spots" in the harness. Pretty frustrating but dealer does seems to be working to resolve the issue, I am going to talk to them today about ford providing an extended warranty and I will also contact ford directly about the issue.

I hate to hear that. Replacing the entire harness sounds like a big job on a fully assembled vehicle. Hope it works out and and yes I would want some sort of extended warranty to cover future issues.

I hate to hear that. Replacing the entire harness sounds like a big job on a fully assembled vehicle. Hope it works out and and yes I would want some sort of extended warranty to cover future issues.
yeah I am worried about it being the main harness, not an easy fix and I don't like the idea of having to replace that on a new truck already.

Maybe similar
in another post on the forum I explained how my vehicle would flash every warning light on display, like 20 or 30 times, I would ok clear each one, finally it would start,,,,,then it didn’t, wouldn’t even turn, crank whatever,,,had power just no crank. So flat towed into dealer. I had seen some say it could be the bjb . Ford thought so also and replaced, free of charge..3 weeks or so later, yesterday it won’t turn off, you can push the on off button all you want, engines keeps running, seat does go back like the normal exit feature, but engine stays running. Scheduled again to go to dealer. What is the lemon law, mine is just over a year

Maybe similar
in another post on the forum I explained how my vehicle would flash every warning light on display, like 20 or 30 times, I would ok clear each one, finally it would start,,,,,then it didn’t, wouldn’t even turn, crank whatever,,,had power just no crank. So flat towed into dealer. I had seen some say it could be the bjb . Ford thought so also and replaced, free of charge..3 weeks or so later, yesterday it won’t turn off, you can push the on off button all you want, engines keeps running, seat does go back like the normal exit feature, but engine stays running. Scheduled again to go to dealer. What is the lemon law, mine is just over a year
I think lemon law varies by state so you would have to check for your location. In Texas there is a list of qualifications you must first meet before even considering the lemon law. I’m mostly concerned long term with the truck, what other issue could arise or components that could fail early. I have been reading others with electrical issues so it does seem it’s not just a one off case. I am definitely going to push for an extended warranty with Ford though.

Do you know where they found the rubbed through spot? Might be good for the rest of us to go look at that spot.

I’ll have to ask to be sure but they started to look under the passenger side floor board if I remember correctly. There was a spot in that area that had rubbed through. When I talked to them again I’ll ask to know for sure and post location here.

Spoke with the dealer today, was starting to push for a buy back but they were able to finally talk to an engineer at Ford. He told them to replace the PCM so that should be in soon and I’m hoping this really gets it going. I’ll have to ask for specifics, but the service advisor said they have replaced a couple modules and fixed some bad spots. Really not thrilled with it but hoping it does work since there is such little inventory out there.

Last update

I picked the truck up yesterday and all seems to be running good. The final fix that seemed to get it going was replacing the PCM and the Ford Pass Module. Definitely going to watching it closely but everything seems to be good.

Back