7.3 catch cans

Even though this thread is older it still looks active and after going back through and looking at it, it seems that there are still some open questions about the JLT catch can so here goes.
I do in fact have a JLT catch can on my 7.3L F350 Tremor and it works well and looks great. I used to have it in my F150 EB and called JLT to ask if it would work in my new F350 and they said they would retro fit it for me if I sent them just the catch can by itself. So I did and for $50 they put new hoses and fittings on it and sent me new hardware and a new bracket with instructions. Just like brand new. Took me 10 minutes tops to install. It's tucked up to fire wall on the driver's side. The only complaint I have is that I'm to short to reach the catch can without a ladder. I'm 6' tall btw. These trucks are huge! Here is a link for the install if anyone is interested.
Thanks ..!

Even though this thread is older it still looks active and after going back through and looking at it, it seems that there are still some open questions about the JLT catch can so here goes.
I do in fact have a JLT catch can on my 7.3L F350 Tremor and it works well and looks great. I used to have it in my F150 EB and called JLT to ask if it would work in my new F350 and they said they would retro fit it for me if I sent them just the catch can by itself. So I did and for $50 they put new hoses and fittings on it and sent me new hardware and a new bracket with instructions. Just like brand new. Took me 10 minutes tops to install. It's tucked up to fire wall on the driver's side. The only complaint I have is that I'm to short to reach the catch can without a ladder. I'm 6' tall btw. These trucks are huge! Here is a link for the install if anyone is interested.
Nice!!! I just ordered one for my 2022.

On different turbo'd cars I've owned lots of guys would put those on, mostly for coolness, some might've needed it due to upgraded turbos or higher boost applications but for stock, there was really no need.

No idea about the 7.3L gasser but my Ariel Atom with a GM LSJ factory supercharged 2.0L will fill my catch can in a couple thousand miles.

Is there a way to have these auto drain so you don't have to mess with emptying them? Kinda like an auto dump valve on an air compressor tank, or more simply, an automatic float valve as seen in an Ingersoll Rand air filter.

Is there a way to have these auto drain so you don't have to mess with emptying them? Kinda like an auto dump valve on an air compressor tank, or more simply, an automatic float valve as seen in an Ingersoll Rand air filter.
Where would it drain to if it’s automatic? Or maybe I’m mis-imagining how it would work.

Where would it drain to if it’s automatic? Or maybe I’m mis-imagining how it would work.

About the only place I can think of is the combustion chambers...

About the only place I can think of is the combustion chambers...
Not my idea at all. Dump to atmosphere or plumb into after the muffler. Either with a check valve.

Not my idea at all. Dump to atmosphere or plumb into after the muffler. Either with a check valve.

Don't forget I'm from California. We have no problem spending the time and effort to engineer a system to fix a problem and then taking the output from our engineered system and dumping it where it was going in the first place.

Just like the new gas cans, you spill more than the old style. All because of people trying to light fires using gasoline..

Shouldn't be too hard to add a nipple on the bottom of the catch can bowl. Run clear hose from the catch can to a ball valve mounted somewhere accessible under the truck. Open ball valve when changing oil.

Shouldn't be too hard to add a nipple on the bottom of the catch can bowl. Run clear hose from the catch can to a ball valve mounted somewhere accessible under the truck. Open ball valve when changing oil.
Run line to after muffler :p

Like Ronco: Set it and Forget it! ?

After watching Palm Beach Dyno remove his heads and intake with a little over 10,000 miles and seeing how dirty the pistons and intake ports were I believe it is needed on these engines.
FYSA - I just emptied the single J&L catch can on my tuned 7.3L after ~9k miles and it had about 3oz of oil in it. Almost full. My son runs a dual Bob’s Auto Sports setup on his 2010 GT500 5.4L (3.2L Kenne) and it almost never has anything in either can when he checks it every couple of oil changes. So, I figured I didn’t need to check the can on the 7.3 as often but man was I surprised when I checked it today. I installed the J&L at ~8k miles and the truck only has 18k on it. Take this for what it is - personally, I’m glad I put one on.

I put a catch can on my old Pontiac G8 GT back in 2008 (intake, headers, stage 1 cam/gutted DOD, full exhaust). I started forgetting to clean it out by year 4-5 and felt it was more hassle than it was worth. For me personally, I did it for the sake of modding and not because I actually felt the car needed it.

So....where can I get the JLT in Black?

Back