7.3 catch cans

sroemmich

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
No, I've been thinking about it though. I used to have one on a 5.3 Chevy. Before I put it on I had to clean the throttle body every 25k miles or so or the engine would go into limp mode, Can't hurt...( as long as you remember to keep it emptied.)

OP
usafrcm90

usafrcm90

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Miltary
Air Force
Current Ride
7.3 Tremor
Current Ride #2
SN95 awaiting 7.3 swap
No, I've been thinking about it though. I used to have one on a 5.3 Chevy. Before I put it on I had to clean the throttle body every 25k miles or so or the engine would go into limp mode, Can't hurt...( as long as you remember to keep it emptied.)
I did the same on the old 5.3 sierra and coyote. I suspect this will need the same. It looks like the ring pack will be a bit more efficient, but with all the cubes it will probably produce a lot of oil through the PCV.

MPark

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2016 F 150
Current Ride #2
Magnetic f350 XLT 7.3 on order
I have a Ford orm performance one sitting on the garage counter. I took it off my 2016 F150 before I sold it.

you got me thinking. This weekend I'm going to see if I can make it work on my 7.3

driftwoodsvt

First Tremor on Methods!
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L Lariat w/ Ultimate & Sport
Blow by is still an issue in these modern engine? Wow.

bmexline

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor
I thought catch cans were only needed for ecoboost type engines. I had never heard of one until I got my Raptor.

driftwoodsvt

First Tremor on Methods!
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L Lariat w/ Ultimate & Sport
I thought catch cans were only needed for ecoboost type engines. I had never heard of one until I got my Raptor.
I had one on my 2001 Ford Lightning, but just figured 20 year old issues would be resolved..

ShiverMeTimbers

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 7.3 Tremor Lariat, Magnetic w/chrooome
Current Ride #2
Duckworth XL 30
Well there are plenty of threads with arguments for and against catch cans. I don't know what to think. With the 3.5 EcoBoost direct injection, it makes sense. Now for my naive question of the day... is the 7.3 direct injection?

edit: answered that with a quick Google search: "Fuel injection is also different, with the Ford Super Duty 7.3L Godzilla, Ford 6.2L V8 and Ram 6.4L HEMI using port fuel injection, while the GM 6.6L L8T uses direct fuel injection."

I guess I'll pop the hood and follow the air lines around, see where this might warrant a catch can.

2020Tremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
8.1l Burb
Coming from the Hemi land they are pretty common place. Ran 1 on my Challenger and SRT GC. Mopar PVC system is notorious for letting lots of oil through. The UPR really seemed to work well on the STR GC. Not sure how much oil the 7.3L will let buy, but in my opinion engine oil is not intended to be burned so filtering it out of the PVC system is not a bad.

thevol

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
7.3 XLT Tremor
Not needed on the 7.3 as was mentioned above it is port injected. This means the valves are constantly being cleaned with fuel and additives during normal operation. One of the most desirable features of the 7.3 for me is that they got good power without using direct injection.

2020Tremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
8.1l Burb
Not needed on the 7.3 as was mentioned above it is port injected. This means the valves are constantly being cleaned with fuel and additives during normal operation. One of the most desirable features of the 7.3 for me is that they got good power without using direct injection.
No question that the valves are getting cleaned but are still having to burn the oil let by without it. That can result in a small power loss depending on how much is getting by. With the Hemi lots of oil gets by even with pot injection causing buildup in intake as well. So engines with poor PVC system filtration as well as DI or boosted apps tend to benefit. The 7.3l has not been out long enough to know how much oil will wind up coating the intake before the injectors yet. My take is it can’t hurt but if the design of the 7.3L doesn’t let much oil through than probably not needed one and a waist of money. Don’t see many running a catch can on the 7.3L yet so don’t know what is actually getting caught before getting back in to the combustion chamber. I will say am completely sold on catch can on the Mopar V8 even though just port injection.

SManZ

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Tremor XLT 7.3L

DanMan583

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor XLT 7.3L , Oxford White
I had a catch can on my S/C Tacoma and about 1/2 cup of crap would drain out of it at each oil change. I'd like to get one for the 7.3 but I'm not paying $350 for it.

Does anyone know the specifications are for the fittings that are used for the factory PCV hoses? If I can get fittings, hoses, and a catch can a la carte that will keep $275 in my pocket.
I saw one the other day made by JLT for less than half the price of the UPR.
It doesn’t have the filter for the driver’s side though but I don’t think that’s really needed, just as long as you’re filtering the output of the PCV from going into the intake.

JC_Tremor

Toasty
Reaction Points
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
Focus ST
I still don't see why the 7.3 would NEED one. Seems like just a novelty.

DanMan583

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor XLT 7.3L , Oxford White
Oh, I agree with you on that. I dont see the need for one either and I haven’t noticed any drop in oil level at all on my 7.3 since I’ve had it.

JC_Tremor

Toasty
Reaction Points
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
Focus ST
On different turbo'd cars I've owned lots of guys would put those on, mostly for coolness, some might've needed it due to upgraded turbos or higher boost applications but for stock, there was really no need.

Chris21667

Stilling Recovering my Jeeps
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Miltary
Army
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor - 2012 F150 5.0 - 2018 Ford Edge
Current Ride #2
00 and 99 Jeep XJ
I have one on my 2012 f150 5.0 has 147k miles but it's a Gen 1 5.0 but my catch can catches alot of oil that being put back into the intake ... That that can gunk up the intake and cause issues ... I had to clean my intake after 100k miles it has nothing but oil in it ... And with the catch can it catches 90% of the oil that gets pushed in there

JC_Tremor

Toasty
Reaction Points
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
Focus ST
I have one on my 2012 f150 5.0 has 147k miles but it's a Gen 1 5.0 but my catch can catches alot of oil that being put back into the intake ... That that can gunk up the intake and cause issues ... I had to clean my intake after 100k miles it has nothing but oil in it ... And with the catch can it catches 90% of the oil that gets pushed in there
Bad engine design, or just engine design characteristics? The 5.0 just a dirty engine?

SManZ

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Tremor XLT 7.3L
Is it absolutely necessary to keep the motor running? Absolutely not. If you've had one and seen what it captures, you might find them more than just a novelty.

It was a different motor, but the 4.0L in my Tacoma would collect a clear/watery substance that smelled of gas. I'd rather not feed that back into the motor.

Chris21667

Stilling Recovering my Jeeps
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Miltary
Army
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor - 2012 F150 5.0 - 2018 Ford Edge
Current Ride #2
00 and 99 Jeep XJ
Bad engine design, or just engine design characteristics? The 5.0 just a dirty engine?
It was the first gen so I would say yes but I don't have the oil consumption that the gen 3 5.0 have so idk ... But you want port injection over direct injection ... With port injection it will clean the values where direct injection doesn't clean the values