60-80 MPH Vibration

DcMoore

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
Navy
Current Ride
2021 F-250 Fx4 Lariat
So I noticed a vibration on my truck prior to getting new tires, Nitto Terra Grappler G2s. Also increase to 295/65R20. After the new tires the vibration was really noticeable. The vibration occurs mainly from 60-80 MPH and 1/8-1/4 throttle. Ford, original installed of tires, found two unbalanced tires and no change. It almost feels like a u-joint or rear diff. I pulled the driveshaft and checked u-joints and weights. The u-joints seemed a little loose but not out of line. While I had to the driveshaft off, I checked the slop in the rear diff. I wasn't sure if it was too much or not but I bolted everything back together and sent it to Ford this morning.

I will post up what they find.. Hopefully I don't get the "Oh it's normal" excuse. I have been seeing others with vibration issues so maybe this will help.

Truck is a 2021 6.7 F-250 with 20,000 miles. 3.31 gears with E-locker and 10k GVWR package.

Attachments

• 20220117_201821.mp4
    5.3 MB
So I noticed a vibration on my truck prior to getting new tires, Nitto Terra Grappler G2s. Also increase to 295/65R20. After the new tires the vibration was really noticeable. The vibration occurs mainly from 60-80 MPH and 1/8-1/4 throttle. Ford, original installed of tires, found two unbalanced tires and no change. It almost feels like a u-joint or rear diff. I pulled the driveshaft and checked u-joints and weights. The u-joints seemed a little loose but not out of line. While I had to the driveshaft off, I checked the slop in the rear diff. I wasn't sure if it was too much or not but I bolted everything back together and sent it to Ford this morning.

I will post up what they find.. Hopefully I don't get the "Oh it's normal" excuse. I have been seeing others with vibration issues so maybe this will help.

Truck is a 2021 6.7 F-250 with 20,000 miles. 3.31 gears with E-locker and 10k GVWR package.
To better define a driveshaft/rear end vibe, you can remove the rear driveshaft , put the truck in 4Hi and go test drive to see if the vibe disappears. It’s in old Jeep trick.

To better define a driveshaft/rear end vibe, you can remove the rear driveshaft , put the truck in 4Hi and go test drive to see if the vibe disappears. It’s in old Jeep trick.
I've done this before but really didn't want to try it doing 70 MPH.

Got the truck back yesterday afternoon. Service advisor said they had a lot of techs look at the truck and found nothing but they agreed that there was a vibration. Waited to two weeks to hear that. I think I may replace the u-joints and have the driveshaft checked. Pretty frustrating!

I had the exact same vibration at 60-80mph immediately upon delivery of my truck. After a putting a couple thousand miles on it to break the tires in and deflating them to 55/60 front rear it’s completely gone. IMO it’s the tires and nothing more.

I had the exact same vibration at 60-80mph immediately upon delivery of my truck. After a putting a couple thousand miles on it to break the tires in and deflating them to 55/60 front rear it’s completely gone. IMO it’s the tires and nothing more.
Just to clarify, you were having the vibration when in the throttle and no vibration when out off of the throttle?

Yes while in the throttle. Sometimes I would even floor it to see if it would go away and it would only get worse until I crested over 80-85mph. If I let out of the gas it would quickly dissipate as well. I now have 10,000 miles on my truck. The vibration has been gone probably since I had 2-3,000 miles on it if I recall correctly. The reason it was so noticeable to me was I traded in a 2019 for my 2021. The ride was drastically different in the 21. All gone now though.

Had the tires road force balanced and I would say it fixed the issue. I can still feel a small vibration while towing but nothing compared to what it was.

Back