6.7 turbo diesel vs 7.3 Godzilla

strykerpsg

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
Army (1991-2016)
Current Ride
2022 F250 King Ranch Antimatter Blue (25 SEP 2022)
Current Ride #2
2019 Challenger Redeye (5 JAN 2019)
Afternoon all,

Having watched sooo many YouTube videos and read so many forums, I just wanted to get a general consensus here as well.

My initial thoughts on buying a HD was to tow a nice off road travel trailer (Black Series HQ21 @ 8000lbs loaded) off some beaten paths. My initial truck purchase was my 20 Ram Rebel, which can tow just shy of 12,000. However, it's a light duty frame and many of my peers recommended looking at an HD so the trailer doesn't take control of my light duty truck on windy days. So, begin my quest.

I initially looked at the Power Wagon but was shocked it actually towed less than my Rebel because of it's purpose built off road suspension, made sense. Then I considered the Ram 2500 diesels and adding a winch. Not a bad idea, but now spending an additional $7k or more for a winch and bumper and only modest off road capabilities added. Then I came across the Tremor package, that could add a winch too, yes! It was like the heavens opened up and shone light on a Ford dealership.

I then began the toss between diesel and 7.3 gas. I wanted to best of best towing and best gas mileage. I then began reading about maintenance upkeep on diesels, updated EPA specs and found it harder to justify the extra $10k all manufacturers were asking for diesels. Another common theme became how often would I be towing? If more than a few times a year, diesel a better choice. If only a few times a year, gas a cheaper option and lower maintenance costs.

Since I live in the beautiful PNW, diesel prices are pretty comparable to gas prices, so not a win to justify the costs. The garage fitment is a whole other issue, but gives me a reason to build a shelter pad for washing vehicles and storing my new F250.

After this long winded narrative, I guess I would ask why did you choose 7.3 gas or 6.7 diesel?

Thanks all for reading an likely rolling your eyes and saying "not another gas vs diesel thread..."

Best regards,
Matt

I chose the 6.7 just because I want the extra power and torque when needed. Being ex military, my belief is it is better to have it and not need it vs needing it and not having it. Besides, 1050 ft. lbs of torque…..

Better be looking at payload vs strictly towing capacity. I’m buying a similar style trailer (ORV) and the tongue weight is 1600lb. The payload on diesel 3/4 tons is usually not much more than a 1/2 ton.

I chose the 6.7 just because I want the extra power and torque when needed. Being ex military, my belief is it is better to have it and not need it vs needing it and not having it. Besides, 1050 ft. lbs of torque…..
Big Ed, I'm with you on the have and not need it, but the price...ugh. I know they have great resale value too.

I guess if I hadn't had to start anew after spending 5 years in Korea, I wouldn't care about the costs. But finishing up paying off my Redeye Challenger, the travel trailer and now this hunk of love truck...I think I will toy with Godzilla a few years and possibly upgrade after the debts settle down a bit.

Better be looking at payload vs strictly towing capacity. I’m buying a similar style trailer (ORV) and the tongue weight is 1600lb. The payload on diesel 3/4 tons is usually not much more than a 1/2 ton.
Good call. Just looked up the tongue weight, it's 650lbs.

Here's the link to the trailer. Black Series HQ21

On an interesting side note, I should not be shocked that the trailer dealer sales guy said my Rebel was more than adequate. Lessons learned.

Good call. Just looked up the tongue weight, it's 650lbs.
Remember that’s empty! The ORV backcountry I’m buying is also 700lb but when the 100 gallon water tank is full, batteries, and 80lb propane tanks are full (along with the regular stuff) people are reporting numbers around 1500lb. That’s what led me to replace my f150 that has a tow rating of 13,200 but a payload of 1900.
I’ve read a good rule is to assume 15% tongue weight of gross trailer weight. I believe those black series are around 10k gvwr?

I've been to Roy so you can trust me!
The PowerStroke is the Beast unleashed.
Why do you think EarthRoamer uses them?
And you really don't think your 7.3 will last 500K miles, do you?

I went with the 7.3 this time around. I had a 2013 duramax, 2017 powerstroke and most recently a 2019 duramax.
I had several reasons for going gas, including payload and upfront cost.
I tow my 16,500lbs toy hauler about 4-6 times a year and thus far the 7.3 has been great. It’s not a diesel, but suits my needs just fine. If I towed more often then I would have gone diesel again. I think either way, you will be happy

Quoting myself from another recent thread on engine choice (wow that one got buried quickly!):

Here’s a few threads with lots of thoughts:

First post but lurking about a year. Good move jumping up in tow vehicle. I went from a 2008 f350 to a 2018 HDPP f150 for our 24 keystone. The f150 was spec ordered in that config and had a payload of 2380 pounds. While it handled about 8000 pound OK it was just OK and by the time the bed was full of shit I was pushing the envelope. Wife ordered a outdoor RV 28dbs a year ago and we just took delivery. As posted with the 100 gallons of water, 80 propane tanks and the 4 golf cart batteries I stuck in the tongue I guess my tongue weight between 1600 and 1800 pounds. This spring knowing I needed I new tow vehicle to match I ordered a silver tremor loaded lariat with the 7.3. Landed on about 3600 payload. With a blue ox 2000 hitch it handles the new trailer pretty well and I’m getting it dialed in but my add a light sway bar to truck. Why did I go 7.3. I wanted as much payload as possible as I haul mountain bikes, kayaks, and a shit ton of firewood every trip. Needed every pound of payload and would have lost about 750 pounds if I went diesel. Also my truck is my daily driver and I have a pretty short work commute. If the truck was a designated tow only vehicle I would have considered diesel. After driving a 08 f350 v10 and then a 18 f150 eco boost damn it I missed the sound of a V8. Remember my 460 in my 92 F350 sounded soooo good. I drove both versions and felt like the 7.3 felt like a lighter more noble truck than the diesel and I’m on a lot of dirt shit back roads up here. Overall truck rides amazing for a F350 super impressed by the ride of a newer Gen superduty. Oh yeah the mileage on the 7.3 is just OK. Getting about 15.3 on 200 mile highway runs with a mix of mountains and 60 to 75. Towing is Aweful was getting 9-10 with the smaller trailer but lucky to see 9 with the bigger girl I’m towing. Alaska is not flat by any means so your results may vary. Good luck on your decision it’s a tough one for sure

I'm a big block guy, grew up around big block muscle cars. I prefer the rumble of a big block, not the whistle of a diesel. I don't tow anything, so that didn't matter to me.

My payload is almost 3k I beg to differ.

My payload is almost 3k I beg to differ.
With a 7.3 or a 6.7? What configuration? The 250 diesels on the lot I’ve seen are around 2500. I figure my loaded weight will be about 2700lb payload, if a 350 is the same price no reason not to! If you have a gas 7.3 you should reread my post 😀

I would test drive them both. The diesel will last longer. The diesel also gets better MPG. It's not enough mpg to offset the 10k but could make a difference. I have the 6.7 and it's unreal how easily it tows anything I've had behind it. Anything under 8k and it's like you're not towing at all. Towing my 16k 5th wheel feels like my old F150 towing a 7k enclosed.

With a 7.3 or a 6.7? What configuration? The 250 diesels on the lot I’ve seen are around 2500. I figure my loaded weight will be about 2700lb payload, if a 350 is the same price no reason not to! If you have a gas 7.3 you should reread my post 😀
Yes sir I read it. 250 6.7 diesel. Xlt ultimate tow package. My 17 F150 xlt 3.5 with max tow only had 1300 lbs payload. I had to do springs cause if you put anything in the bed it would squat 2"
20210118_202041.jpg

Yes sir I read it. 250 6.7 diesel. Xlt ultimate tow package. My 17 F150 xlt 3.5 with max tow only had 1300 lbs payload. I had to do springs cause if you put anything in the bed it would squat 2"View attachment 31312
Impressive!!!

Yes sir I read it. 250 6.7 diesel. Xlt ultimate tow package. My 17 F150 xlt 3.5 with max tow only had 1300 lbs payload. I had to do springs cause if you put anything in the bed it would squat 2"View attachment 31312
That’s a lot of payload for a 6.7 f250. Nice
My 17 F250 lariat 6.7 only had 2216lbs of payload

Last edited:
That's about what my 21 non-tremor Lariat CCSB F-250 with 7.3 I'll be trading has. The 5th wheel prep and tailgate step are the only heavy options. Trading on a 22 Tremor F-350 with the 5th wheel prep only. Hoping to gain another 1000

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8fb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8fb.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 68
"The diesel also gets better MPG. It's not enough mpg to offset the 10k but could make a difference."

I believe the mileage difference will just about amortize at about 100,000 miles and I hope to get another few hundred thousand outta my PowerStroke. From what I've read my towing mpg is really close to what guys are getting EMPTY with their 7.3s!

Back