Longrangehunter

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 6.7HO F-250 KR Tremor
Current Ride #2
2024 6.7HO F-350 KR Tremor (Ordered)
Good morning!

I have a 2001 7.3 PowerStroke Excursion, and rule number one of a 7.3 that tows heavy or in the mountains is that you need a 6637 intake, a 4" or larger exhaust, and gauges/monitors to help make sure you keep your EGTs under 1250. Even with a free flowing intake and exhaust, on a hot summer day, I can kiss 1200 degrees on a steep grade without too much trouble.

I have a 2023 6.7 HO on order, and I know exactly nothing about the 6.7. Do they need any mods to keep the EGTs reasonable when towing? Do I need to add pillar gauges or an Edge Monitor?

I ask because I would really rather not start running wires and popping panels off of a $103k MSRP truck. But at the same time, I don't want to melt a piston on an 8% grade in 90 degree weather.

I know absolutely nothing about the specifics of the new 6.7 HO, but I would guess that with today's technology and the fact that Ford knows that these things are used for super heavy duty towing that all of those issues have now been addressed compared to the old truck.

I've run a Edge CTS3 Insight for gauges on my 2015 and now on my 2022. With the 2015 I added plenty of "extra" sensors, but never really had any issues with performance or concerns with the numbers I was seeing. On the 2022 it's be more of the same. Just watching things and realizing there's no real issues with what I'm seeing dispalyed.

Now...be ready for a different world when you move to the 2023 and a 6.7L motor. It's NOT the 7.3L...things are different. Seeing 200+*F for transmission temps is normal..200+*F for oil temps is normal.

If that kind of thing scares you..we are here to help. Just be ready for a different thought process with the 6.7L motor.

I've run a Edge CTS3 Insight for gauges on my 2015 and now on my 2022. With the 2015 I added plenty of "extra" sensors, but never really had any issues with performance or concerns with the numbers I was seeing. On the 2022 it's be more of the same. Just watching things and realizing there's no real issues with what I'm seeing dispalyed.

Now...be ready for a different world when you move to the 2023 and a 6.7L motor. It's NOT the 7.3L...things are different. Seeing 200+*F for transmission temps is normal..200+*F for oil temps is normal.

If that kind of thing scares you..we are here to help. Just be ready for a different thought process with the 6.7L motor.
Thank you, this is helpful!

I noticed in my 2022 that seeing 240 on the transmission wasn't unusual. The 4R100 would shit it's guts out at those temps.

So to recap what you said, it's interesting to have the data, but you never see anything overly concerning? Do you ever tow heavy or in the mountains? What is considered the danger zone for the 6.7 in terms of oil temp, trans temp, and EGTs?

For oil and transmission I'd say north of 250*F is where the PCM steps into the game but that's just a number. EGT's are hard to say. Without a specific spot in the system you could see two wide numbers.

There's supposed to be an EGT sensor on the EGR "up pipe" then all the other EGT sensors are downstream starting just before the SCR in the exhaust pipe. I will say the EGR EGT sensor (EGRT pid ??) is a "better source" for what's hitting the turbine side of the turbo.

I'm not a heavy hauler in the mountains so I can't speak for that kind of driving/towing. I'm sure that someone here can share better data points to those conditions.

Unless you mod the fuel system ( bigger injectors) and or run some sort of “hot tuning” no need for any monitoring or egt lowering mods on a stock truck

You can't melt a piston on the 22+ motor because they are steel and noisier.

I've seen regens running over 900* on EGRT while the EGT1 is over 800*.

Hey it's only $460 for an Edge CTS3....

Man, like Heavy and the haunting memories of that 6.0Life, you really don't need to monitor anything (I do have a CTS3 as well bc old habits die hard) but your whole world is a cup and you just turned it upside down on your desk going from a 7.3/6.0 to a 6.7. Everything is wild, mild, and chill. A lot of things run hotter than your use to as previously mentioned but it's all normal from the era that you are coming from.

Ha Ha. I destroyed a 6.0l by failing to watch the EGT's while towing up a moderate hill with cruise control on. Easy to hit 1500 with an SCT tuner in race mode, which is how I always drove it :). The TFL guys drove a 2020 6.7 up Eisenhower on I-70 towing 30k with it floored the whole way and were fine. I think that the newer trucks are a lot better at monitoring and reacting to high temps.

The 6.7's don't need any watching towing within ratings. No need to tune really as they make so much power for normal hauling. It was the tuning on the old trucks that required monitoring as most tunes had some sketchiness at heavy loads. I had a 7.3 and 6.4 before this, its a whole new animal. Leave the driveline stock, just buy suspension and wheels and lights like everyone else :)

Back