Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
My wife and I could be modifying our plans on a roof top tent setup, to instead get a 5th wheel camper / trailer.

I have the factory Ford gooseneck stuff in the bed, and box of gooseneck ball and safety mounts and the in-bed plugs, but no 5th wheel stuff. I have used goosenecks for years, but it appears 5th wheels are the go-to setup for RV/Camper/Trailers.

Is there a setup folks recommend that mounts to what I have in the bed that is better than the others?

Ed

My wife and I could be modifying our plans on a roof top tent setup, to instead get a 5th wheel camper / trailer.

I have the factory Ford gooseneck stuff in the bed, and box of gooseneck ball and safety mounts and the in-bed plugs, but no 5th wheel stuff. I have used goosenecks for years, but it appears 5th wheels are the go-to setup for RV/Camper/Trailers.

Is there a setup folks recommend that mounts to what I have in the bed that is better than the others?

Ed

I have used the Reese Goosebox on my 5th wheel and it worked great.

Look at the Reece Goosebox. I’ve had it on my last 45’ fifth wheel and my current 42’. You get your whole truck bed and aren’t stuck with a 400lb hitch in your bed. It’s also about the same price as a decent hitch, so it’s a dollar amount you’re spending anyway.

I like the 20 K sliding Curt Its heavy duty and works very well I have a 24k head on the unit very easy to install and remove but its heavy
I like heavy duty, I like the "jaws" on the Curt better than the Reese. Sold my old 16K Reese on FB after the Trade. Reese is the Name brand decent products. There are some hybrid hitches out there that are specialized and very nice. this one works great for me.
IMG_4818.jpeg

I like the 20 K sliding Curt Its heavy duty and works very well I have a 24k head on the unit very easy to install and remove but its heavy
I like heavy duty, I like the "jaws" on the Curt better than the Reese. Sold my old 16K Reese on FB after the Trade. Reese is the Name brand decent products. There are some hybrid hitches out there that are specialized and very nice. this one works great for me.
View attachment 5197
I think B&W makes on that will work.

I am still trying to figure this out. All the attachment mechanisms I see for campers appear to be 5th wheel, so it seems I would need to get the thing home with a 5th wheel before I could convert it to a goosebox, which I like the idea of....

It appears I need to get a specific goosebox depending on the trailer.

Ed

View attachment 5197
Does this unit auto slide?

Does this unit auto slide?
It does not. I camp on family land and its a rough trail so I would not want an auto slider but I have heard some good things about them. The lever is really easy on the Curt ( compared to the Reese). So its not a big deal to use the slide and I know its locked when I am on the trail and need to back up or adjust my line thru the woods.

I really like the idea of the goosebox, but I didn't think it would leave enough turning clearance with the 6.75 bed.

I really like the idea of the goosebox, but I didn't think it would leave enough turning clearance with the 6.75 bed.

Here is one, I use a standard 5 th wheel but this is way less in cost and its light weight easy to put into the bed

For my application I am old school and its much easier to reconnect off the pavement. But this may be the set up for many of you.

Back