5th wheel prep pkg with no 5th wheel?

For tie-downs, I think that is referring to using the “holes” to put in the safety chain mounts that come with most Gooseneck Kits these days.
Like as in this picture.....
View attachment 10215
4 of those make very handy, & VERY Secure Tie-Downs points
those are cool but for what I haul are in the way. I like how easy the goose ball goes in and out compared to the 5 th wheel. When I am in the woods on slopes of mud and sand the 5th wheel is a breeze to connect.

The tie downs are removable just like the gooseneck ball. The truck bed is flush with them removed.

So, I asked my dealer to add the 5th wheel hitch prep to my order, but he said that the order cannot be modified after a VIN is assigned by Ford. My order still does not have a window sticker and is still in order processing.

Just a warning to others... if you want to update or modify an order, you probably only have a couple days to do it since VINs are assigned pretty quickly.

So, I asked my dealer to add the 5th wheel hitch prep to my order, but he said that the order cannot be modified after a VIN is assigned by Ford. My order still does not have a window sticker and is still in order processing.

Just a warning to others... if you want to update or modify an order, you probably only have a couple days to do it since VINs are assigned pretty quickly.

Yep, I found out the hard way. I thought the Adaptive Cruise was included in Lariat Ultimate (my mistake) and after two weeks of no VIN, I asked my dealer to have it added. My dealer responded with my VIN and said it was too late... :(

I passed on it when I had mine built. Thinking I'd never need it. Already regret it looking at campers...

I passed on it when I had mine built. Thinking I'd never need it. Already regret it looking at campers...
I regret not adding it, but my wife reminds me we don’t need it now. I guess I’ll just spend the money on an aftermarket 5th wheel hitch if we ever upgrade from our travel trailer to a fifth wheel.

I passed on it. Really just don't ever see us getting a fifth wheel for the type of camping we do (out in the boonies up forest service roads in the mountains and forests, not corp of engineer full services camping), and zero use ever for a gooseneck that I can see in my own life. Adds weight and reduces payload capacity, which are both concerns when my primary need/use for an HD truck is a slide-in camper. Also reports of the plugs kind of sucking back there in the bed.

It's not like it's impossible to add later, just a bit of a pain with removing the bed. Otherwise the rear is already pre-wired to take the trailer plugs, and IIRC the exact 5th/gooseneck kit that Ford installs at the factory is available aftermarket.

It's cheap though, so if you think there's even a 10% chance you'd ever need it, get it.

Back