5th Wheel Hitches

TrackRat

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor
Current Ride #2
2020 Shelby GT350
What’s the going recommendation on 5th wheel hitches? New truck will have the 5th wheel prep kit installed.

Depends. I had the B&W Companion Hitch. It’s beefy and built like a tank but I got fed up of having to unload it and sweat like a stuck pig every time I had to do so. I watched MANY videos on YouTube about the Andersen Ultimate Hitch and was sold. I’m never EVER going back to a conventional fithwheel hitch again. It’s literally that good.
If you keep your hitch in your truck 24/7 then the Companion is amazing. No chucking, noise, etc.
if you want to have your bed open, have the hitch out of your truck in 5 minutes, hang it on your garage wall... go Andersen.

Is that considered a Sliding hitch? Didn’t look like it. Had been reading that with the short beds the sliders were highly recommended. Thanks!

Is that considered a Sliding hitch? Didn’t look like it. Had been reading that with the short beds the sliders were highly recommended. Thanks!

No but my current 2005 PSD has no issues. I had the sliding version of the Companion hitch and used it one time in three years and even then, I didn't need it. Having said that, my current fifth wheel is a 2018 Keystone model that has a tighter turning radius. The Andersen hitch actually sits about 4" further back then a typical hitch and we've had zero issues with turning. TONS of people have made the switch.

You need a sliding hitch for the Tremor!

You need a sliding hitch for the Tremor!

No you don't. Only reason he would is if he didn't have a fifth wheel with a tighter turning radius on the front cap. If it's an older model fifth wheel then maybe... but to say you have to have a slider is bad info. As I said, my bed is 6.5' and with the Andersen Ultimate I have zero clearance issues. And also like I mentioned, when I had my slider hitch I only used it once and even then I didn't have to.

My new Tremor will have the Andersen Ultimate in it as well and I will have ZERO worries.

No you don't. Only reason he would is if he didn't have a fifth wheel with a tighter turning radius on the front cap. If it's an older model fifth wheel then maybe... but to say you have to have a slider is bad info. As I said, my bed is 6.5' and with the Andersen Ultimate I have zero clearance issues. And also like I mentioned, when I had my slider hitch I only used it once and even then I didn't have to.

My new Tremor will have the Andersen Ultimate in it as well and I will have ZERO worries.
Our camp is a tight fit it is not possible without a slider but we are hard core campers deep in the north Woods of Wisconsin, its hilly rough and not much room. If you are a want a be "weekend wally" camper that goes to drive thru camps then you don't need the slider hitch. Also for fun go to the public boat launch on a Saturday and watch the "weekend wally" try to launch his bayliner

If you are a want a be "weekend wally" camper that goes to drive thru camps then you don't need the slider hitch. Also for fun go to the public boat launch on a Saturday and watch the "weekend wally" try to launch his bayliner

As a founding member of this forum, I wouldn't call out people like this. I'm in California and we have "deep woods", Desert riding (what we do), as well as stunning rv parks, you name it. Just because someone doesn't live in your exact topography of the US doesn't make him or her a "wanna be" or a "weekend wally" as you mentioned. I based my opinion on years of towing a 40 footer and using two of the best hitches in the industry with a 6.5' bed. To call people names is pretty lame IMHO. And yeah, when we're not in the desert boondocking and CAMPING I do appreciate a nice RV resort, some wine tasting, etc. My wife has chronic Lupus and she prefers to stay in nicer places. So be it.

Those with the Andersen, which orientation did you use when you installed the pin box adaptor? Pointed forward or backwards. Dealer installed mine forwards but thinking of flipping it around to get a little more bed rail clearance.

Mine is pointed backwards, so far no bedrail issues even with the bed cover rails.

Those with the Andersen, which orientation did you use when you installed the pin box adaptor? Pointed forward or backwards. Dealer installed mine forwards but thinking of flipping it around to get a little more bed rail clearance.
You’ll need it backwards since you have a short bed. I don’t have my Tremor yet but I have the Andersen Ultimate in my 18 250 short bed. If it’s backwards, you should have plenty of room to maneuver without any clearance issues.

Just flipped mine backwards. Installing dealer had it facing the other way and I hit my Retrax side rail. Better clearance now

Reese Goosebox. It replaces the pin on your fifth wheel, and you only have a ball in your truck bed. When you're done towing, you have a free and clear bed. Bonus, it's the same price as a nice hitch that goes in your bed.

We've had 2. One on our 2019 Montanna - 14,500lbs pulled with a 2019 F450, and one on our 2020 Cougar - 11,500lbs pulled with a 2020 F350. Awesome towing and performance.

Reese Goosebox. It replaces the pin on your fifth wheel, and you only have a ball in your truck bed. When you're done towing, you have a free and clear bed. Bonus, it's the same price as a nice hitch that goes in your bed.

We've had 2. One on our 2019 Montanna - 14,500lbs pulled with a 2019 F450, and one on our 2020 Cougar - 11,500lbs pulled with a 2020 F350. Awesome towing and performance.
Reese Goose box is a great choice! Gen-Y hitch also makes a pin box replacement that converts to gooseneck, and uses Torsion Flex cushioning. It’s in the same price range as well.

I'd love to use a goosebox, but I'm concerned with the turning radius and the short bed of the tremor. How well does the goosebox work with these 6.75 beds?

I'd love to use a goosebox, but I'm concerned with the turning radius and the short bed of the tremor. How well does the goosebox work with these 6.75 beds?
The nice thing about using a goose box is that you can always use an offset gooseneck ball adapter. I’ve heard that people are getting almost 90 degrees with them too.

If you want a REALLY smooth ride for you and your RV, look at the Hensley Trailersaver BD3 airbag hitch.

It likely depends on your fifth wheel design, but most now taper the front cap to allow for better turning. I have a 2020 Keystone Cougar 364BHL. It's just over 40' at 11,500lbs with a 2,200 pin weight. I can do a 90 degree turn with room to spare. Google that model and you'll see the tapered corners on the front cap - almost everyone does them now.

Now about 90 degree turns. You rarely need to do them, and almost always could accomplish the same maneuver in 2 moves with 70 degree turns. It's also extremely tough on your axles and tires.

The Goosebox rides great, is easy to use, and takes me 60 seconds to clear the bed after a trip. Two easy maintenance items - first grease the hitch every couple pulls, and two check the psi in the integrated air bag each trip.

...Now about 90 degree turns. You rarely need to do them, and almost always could accomplish the same maneuver in 2 moves with 70 degree turns. It's also extremely tough on your axles and tires.

I agree. We're full time in our 5th wheel and Tremor. No sliding hitch and no need for one if you use common sense. If you start backing up too tight, just pull forward and back up again. Takes ten seconds and much better for your RV suspension.

There is nothing wrong with a sliding hitch but to say they are required with a short bed just isn't true. We've had two short bed trucks with two different 5th wheels. No problems backing. Not even a close call. Having said that, I've always been very careful about backing in sharply and I'm VERY cautious. If you're somebody who gets distracted easily or doesn't pay close attention when backing, you probably need a slider!

It likely depends on your fifth wheel design, but most now taper the front cap to allow for better turning. I have a 2020 Keystone Cougar 364BHL. It's just over 40' at 11,500lbs with a 2,200 pin weight. I can do a 90 degree turn with room to spare. Google that model and you'll see the tapered corners on the front cap - almost everyone does them now.

Now about 90 degree turns. You rarely need to do them, and almost always could accomplish the same maneuver in 2 moves with 70 degree turns. It's also extremely tough on your axles and tires.

The Goosebox rides great, is easy to use, and takes me 60 seconds to clear the bed after a trip. Two easy maintenance items - first grease the hitch every couple pulls, and two check the psi in the integrated air bag each trip.

Excellent info. Thank you. I am ordering my truck as we speak.

Back