$500 below invoice a good deal for an order?

Tuxedomouse

Faux Tremor Pioneer
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'21 F350 7.3L CCLB
Current Ride #2
'17 Mustang GT PP 6M (sold)
I don't qualify for X-plan, brought my NADA build sheet to my nearest dealer, mentioned I was shopping around, asked for their best offer and told them was also going to take a look at the Costco program. They came back with a Preview Order sheet that matched all my numbers, and told me they'd do $500 off invoice, not including current offers which would currently drop the price $250, but might be more depending on when the truck came in. Dealer said they do have allocation when I asked (they usually have about a dozen or so Super Duty and chassis cabs on the lot at any one time).

I have a couple more appointments at local dealers, but realistically is this probably the best deal I'll get to order a new truck?

Thanks

I don't qualify for X-plan, brought my NADA build sheet to my nearest dealer, mentioned I was shopping around, asked for their best offer and told them was also going to take a look at the Costco program. They came back with a Preview Order sheet that matched all my numbers, and told me they'd do $500 off invoice, not including current offers which would currently drop the price $250, but might be more depending on when the truck came in. Dealer said they do have allocation when I asked (they usually have about a dozen or so Super Duty and chassis cabs on the lot at any one time).

I have a couple more appointments at local dealers, but realistically is this probably the best deal I'll get to order a new truck?

Thanks
Yes, 500 below invoice is a good deal. I paid invoice for mine and got a deal on the warranty and service plan, which I think is good deal in general.

Thanks
Sounds like a good deal I shopped around and got 750 some of dealers wanted full sticker price also pay attention to dealer fees as these can very from dealer to dealer

It's not bad if that was all the work you had to do to get there. I hit it pretty hard - many dealers contacted - X-Plan, Costco, old school asking for low number, etc. - and my best offer was $1000 below invoice and no fees.

That's what I paid - $500 under invoice.

Saw another dealer this afternoon, about 8 miles further from my house. The salesman was talking in vague figures, but when I told him that the first dealer would do $500 under invoice, his manager came over and said they'd do $1000 below invoice. Sounds like these guys are hungry...:giggle: Probably helps that the third dealer I was working with called me while I was sitting at his desk...

Saw another dealer this afternoon, about 8 miles further from my house. The salesman was talking in vague figures, but when I told him that the first dealer would do $500 under invoice, his manager came over and said they'd do $1000 below invoice. Sounds like these guys are hungry...:giggle: Probably helps that the third dealer I was working with called me while I was sitting at his desk...

Nice! I couldn't get anyone below $2k over invoice, so gave up and went to my local dealer with X plan.

Yes, 500 below invoice is a good deal. I paid invoice for mine and got a deal on the warranty and service plan, which I think is good deal in general.
I got 3% off invoice and they still gave me any rebates ( at the time was $500.00)
Total invoice so all the upgrades are also marked down. So if your working off he invoice make to load up your truck

Dealers seem to be really hungry right now. In the process of buying a new car for my wife and they are going below invoice on almost everything we have looked at in the 3 row crossover class. Even on a Honda which seems to never happen in my area, most usually only come a little off sticker. Only exception is the Kia/Hyundai which crazily has market adjustments over sticker.

Sounds like you may be able to get even better than 1K off but may need to consider who is going to have the best allocation since wait can be pretty long. There seems to be a shortage of Superduties on the lots around my area from what was available this time last year.

Sounds like you may be able to get even better than 1K off but may need to consider who is going to have the best allocation since wait can be pretty long. There seems to be a shortage of Superduties on the lots around my area from what was available this time last year.
Wait is not a huge problem for me, I realistically don't NEED the truck until April/May or so. Frankly, the longer the wait, the more I'll have saved for accessories ;)

I wanted to buy a 2020 that had just arrived on a dealer's lot last October... they would not budge off of MSRP and their 'documentation fees' were ridiculous. I laughed and left. Took them a month to sell it, not sure what they finally got for it, but I don't play that game.

I wanted to buy a 2020 that had just arrived on a dealer's lot last October... they would not budge off of MSRP and their 'documentation fees' were ridiculous. I laughed and left. Took them a month to sell it, not sure what they finally got for it, but I don't play that game.

I had a similar experience. Truck is still on their website, and has been there since September. I tried to buy right after Christmas and then tried again last week. They won't budge from MSRP. Wonder how long it'll take them to sell.

Are you guys saying "below invoice" as in the price below the website's build price? My truck's MSRP is $79050 and invoice will be $74277.10. If that's the case then it's $4772.90 below MSRP. My dealer told me they still make $1000. I know him professionally from my work, he sells a lot of vehicles and it's a town of only 20,000 people.

Attachments

• 16105914463898197879685732911537.jpg
    16105914463898197879685732911537.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 90
Are you guys saying "below invoice" as in the price below the website's build price? My truck's MSRP is $79050 and invoice will be $74277.10. If that's the case then it's $4772.90 below MSRP. My dealer told me they still make $1000. I know him professionally from my work, he sells a lot of vehicles and it's a town of only 20,000 people.
The dealers make money if they sell below invoice. It's just a Super Duty truck most will go well below invoice. When you build a truck on line it shows Retail or sticker price. Don't negotiate from the sticker !!!!!! Start your negotiations from invoice. If you sit down with your salesman and let him build a truck he will show you the sticker price and the invoice price. If they refuse to show you the invoice price walk out and find a different dealership. One thing I have not been able to avoid is the shipping cost and now the dealerships have paperwork fees ( $125.00-$250.00) so keep those fees and charges in mind. You can also play the trade in game but you had better be honest with yourself on the value of your trade.

Just a wag without looking in detail, but at $79050, invoice should be about $72ish. Dealers make somewhere around 8% on the backside even if they sell at invoice price. Don't let them jerk you around and NEVER buy above invoice. Move on to the next dealer. I bought my truck at invoice (minus Ford incentive, not too generous at the moment). I know, and have in the past shopped that invoice price to another dealer and have gotten much better pricing. In my case now, because of the whole plandemic thing ... I did not feel the "need to squeeze" and I also wanted to establish a relationship with my 'future' nearest Ford dealer, so I did not push it this time. Another dealer 6 miles further away gave me the same price without asking and would have beat the other dealer's price if I circled back around... other dealers further away seemed to think I would pay MSRP, their bad. Your dealer is due to still make over $5000, not $1000, if they sell to you at invoice (your salesman may only see $1000 of that).

Last edited:
The dealers make money if they sell below invoice. It's just a Super Duty truck most will go well below invoice. When you build a truck on line it shows Retail or sticker price. Don't negotiate from the sticker !!!!!! Start your negotiations from invoice. If you sit down with your salesman and let him build a truck he will show you the sticker price and the invoice price. If they refuse to show you the invoice price walk out and find a different dealership. One thing I have not been able to avoid is the shipping cost and now the dealerships have paperwork fees ( $125.00-$250.00) so keep those fees and charges in mind. You can also play the trade in game but you had better be honest with yourself on the value of your trade.
All that stuff gets expensive. My trade would be a POS '99 Ford 250 (heavy half ton). I'm keeping it. $500 if it had a full tank of gas. ?

Back