5 Star Tune help

Walnutz

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 7.3L Lariat sport
New to the world of tunes and looking for some information. Main reason for wanting a tune is i really do not like the lag and overall lower gear shifting of this tranny. From what ive seen this tune will fix those issues. As for what to order im a bit lost and looking for help. I noticed the N gauge kit they sell is no longer being made after these are gone. Is there any reason not to order this still? I live in Canada and the most common fuel octanes are 87, 89 & 91. I do tow with the truck but not heavy very often (side by side and hunting gear). I would like to have the option to use the 91 tune for obvious reasons. Any advise for what 3 tunes to order for daily driving and a lot of freeway driving with a trailer and then a fun setting would be appreciated. Lastly how easy is it to switch between the tunes and then back to plain stock? Can this be done on the fly? With the cost of fuel up here these days i wouldnt be using 91 all the time but im guessing you have to make sure your tank has nothing but 91 in it at the time? Appreciate any help on this as i know nothing about tunes, Cheers!!

I should also mention i have the Amp power steps installed and they plug into the port under the wheel. Im not sure if that is used for the tune kit but if it is whats the solution? Thanks!

I have the nGauge and asked 5 Star specifically about support after-the-fact; I bought mine before they were discontinued. They stated that support would not be an issue, this is the exact email response: "Currently supported vehicles there won't be an issue with. Newer vehicles with different computers it's not going to be supported."

I purchased the package of five custom tunes and right now, running the 93 Daily/Tow Tune and it's awesome. No lag, shifting is cleaned up and it is quite brutal....in a good way. Personally, I'll never run lower than 93 octane fuel. I have the AFE Cold Air intake installed with the AFE 85mm Throttle Body, Headers, Mid-pipe and Cat Back system going in pretty soon. Once the headers and exhaust are installed, I'll switch over to the 93 Performance tune, but there's no reason I can't prior to the exhaust. I just want to develop a good baseline with the 93 Daily/Tow first.

Get the nGauge, email them your stock tune once it arrives (which you'll download with the nGauge) and they'll quickly turn around your new tunes. They solid gold people to deal with and back what they do with great customer service.

Hope this helps,
MB

New to the world of tunes and looking for some information. Main reason for wanting a tune is i really do not like the lag and overall lower gear shifting of this tranny. From what ive seen this tune will fix those issues. As for what to order im a bit lost and looking for help. I noticed the N gauge kit they sell is no longer being made after these are gone. Is there any reason not to order this still? I live in Canada and the most common fuel octanes are 87, 89 & 91. I do tow with the truck but not heavy very often (side by side and hunting gear). I would like to have the option to use the 91 tune for obvious reasons. Any advise for what 3 tunes to order for daily driving and a lot of freeway driving with a trailer and then a fun setting would be appreciated. Lastly how easy is it to switch between the tunes and then back to plain stock? Can this be done on the fly? With the cost of fuel up here these days i wouldnt be using 91 all the time but im guessing you have to make sure your tank has nothing but 91 in it at the time? Appreciate any help on this as i know nothing about tunes, Cheers!!
The guys at 5Star are great, if you call them, they will walk you through your needs.
I have the Ngauge, i just loaded my tune ( 87 octane daily tow) and put the Ngauge in the center console. It has helped with the pedal lag and shifts. I have not played with any of the other tunes I got yet, but it only takes about 5 mins to reload a new tune, this cannot be done on the fly.
Good luck!
Eric

I should also mention i have the Amp power steps installed and they plug into the port under the wheel. Im not sure if that is used for the tune kit but if it is whats the solution? Thanks!
you can buy a OBD splitter off amazon

I made a mistake you can likely learn from. I went with 89 Daily/Tow, 93 Daily/Tow and 93 Performance. With gas prices on the rise, and having no need to enter my Truck into a sanctioned race, I am just looking for great throttle response and smooth shifting that rings out the gears a bit more. The 89 Daily/Tow got rid of my throttle lag but I'm not impressed with how many gears it runs through tooling around town. Gears 1 through 4 should ring out longer - they shift to fast around town, and now I am wishing I got the 89 Performance tune for those reasons.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. So can this be returned to stock easily for when i take it in for servicing or just want to run stock form?

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. So can this be returned to stock easily for when i take it in for servicing or just want to run stock form?
You're gonna get your tuner with very detailed directions. First thing you do is read your trucks computer stock files and email it to them. When they email you back with the link to download your custom tunes, there will be a stockfile.enc along with them. This will be the one used to return your truck to stock, should you ever need to.

So i just did step one of the tune process and put the stock file on the nguage to email them but now my tire pressure will not show up?? Did i screw something up or is this normal for now?? Cycled the ignition a few times and still nothing. Got me worried now.....

Latest Discussions

Back