4:30 rear end???

Sloo

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 tremor 250. 7.3.
Current Ride #2
2016 f250. 6.2.
Can someone else confirm that the Tremor is only available with the 4:30 rear when ordering it with the 7.3 gas.
I asked my dealer and they said that’s correct, only diesel offers the 3:55 or 3:73???

Everything I've read has suggested the same thing, 4.30. I think Ford is going more for power to the ground & towing vs fuel mileage.

Yup 4.30:1 for the gasser. The ten speed will definitely help for final drive ratio tho. Big weight and large four corner rolling mass to deal with. As an off road truck the low range rock crawl ratio matters as well as off line power. I know a few may not go off road, simple fix is a Superchips tuner and a gear swap. If I was changing to a 3.73 though I would limit hauling to < #7000. There is a precipice whereby gains for mileage unloaded are negated by extra workload towing.

With 35's and an OD tranny, even the 4.30's will be a bit tall.

I was shocked to read a suggestion of 4:56's for a 33" tire on a classic Bronco with an OD, until I ran the numbers on a gearing calculator.

Considering the weight and the fact that a Tremor SD punches a MASSIVE hole in the air....it's gonna need low gears to help normal drivability, let alone towing , launching or creepy crawling off-roading.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb now is really the factory knows best. Honestly they pay huge coin on engineering to find the best MPG without ditching too much performance. I have watched a few buddies play around with the new platforms chasing some more MPG........... all failed. Only one thing that worked was dropping weight which is opposite of most mods do like winch, headache rack, compressor, bash plates etc.

4.30 is the ratio you get with the 7.3, and it is the perfect ratio.

Don't forget to factor in the size of the tires and the transmission ratios.

4.30 is the ratio you get with the 7.3, and it is the perfect ratio.

Don't forget to factor in the size of the tires and the transmission ratios.
Last year when I was at the dealership we built the 7.3 tremor with a 355. Of course the factory would not let this happen
Last week I built a tremor on fords site and again they let me choose the 355.
Initially this is what I wanted but the gasser does not have the torque of the 6.7 and you would feel it turning those big tires.

Back