3D Printed Gas Cap Holder

F

FT_Guest3342

FoMoCo could have done a much better job on designing a gas cap tether. It is forever getting in the way when you are trying to install and tighten the gas cap.

I removed the tether completely and made this holder. The holder is stuck to the inside of the gas filler door and you store your cap on it while filling your tank. You can't close the door without removing the cap so it reminds you to reinstall your cap. Also the holder fits neatly inside the cap area with the door closed.

If you want to download and print this model you can get it from my GrabCad site. https://grabcad.com/library/ford-truck-gas-cap-holder-1

2021-07-14 23.44.50.jpg
Screenshot from 2021-07-15 12-17-46.png

Great idea. Every time I fill up this aggravates me to no end. You should sell those, I’d buy one.
@kmtweb was selling them at one point (pretty sure their own design, but same idea), presumably still is?

@kmtweb was selling them at one point (pretty sure their own design, but same idea), presumably still is?

I have one of these and finally got around to installing it a couple of weeks ago. Used adhesive promoter on door and holder, 3M circle adhesive and let it sit for a few days before I used it. Works great and cut that damn tether cord off!

I clipped my tether off soon after getting the truck.

The cap sits on top of the bed rail while filling. It would fall off if I drove away, but I'll probably never forget to close the fuel door, which will remind me to put the cap on. If someone drove away with the cap sitting on that printed holder, it looks like it would fall off of that too.

It's no longer the 1970's. There are simple solutions to these problems. Our 2015 Ford Edge Sport does not have a gas cap. It doesn't need one. The door to the gas line has a built in plug on it. When you close the door, it seals the gas line. It's something all vehicles should have had 40 years ago.

He absolutely is, I just ordered one! I highly recommend him for anyone who doesn’t have the means to 3D print their own. Great quality and easy to work with! Plus he’s a fellow member!

*this is the message of a real customer. He was not paid for this advertisement!

He absolutely is, I just ordered one! I highly recommend him for anyone who doesn’t have the means to 3D print their own. Great quality and easy to work with! Plus he’s a fellow member!

*this is the message of a real customer. He was not paid for this advertisement!
He's out there to help. I have a 3D printer and he provides his files for free! I've downloaded them.

For those without the means to print - this is a huge help that he will provide for you!

It's no longer the 1970's. There are simple solutions to these problems. Our 2015 Ford Edge Sport does not have a gas cap. It doesn't need one. The door to the gas line has a built in plug on it. When you close the door, it seals the gas line. It's something all vehicles should have had 40 years ago.
I'd like to see a picture of that. If it is anything like the Ram "capless" filler, it's terrible because the gasket does not seal dust out of the cap enclosure, or water, and those get into the filler neck. Imagine a diesel engine, with very strict fuel cleanliness specs, allowing dirt and water into the fuel filler pipe. A screw on gasketed cap is by far the best way to keep the fuel clean and in the tank. Also, the capless designs have to have a check valve in the pipe, which makes it a lot harder to fill from a gas can, or to add fuel additives. Give me an old fashioned screw on cap. Exactly what the Tremor has.

Also, the capless designs have to have a check valve in the pipe, which makes it a lot harder to fill from a gas can, or to add fuel additives.
Oh good point! Means I don't have to keep that little funnel in the truck like I do with my F-150 right now. Which is just something that can be lost.

My 2013 F150 had no gas cap either. The sealing mechanism was in the gas inlet. When you shoved the pump nozzle in the hole it opened and when you took it out it closed. I don't know why they changed it back to a cap.

Back