3.5ecoboost to 7.3

I switched from the 3.5 to the 7.3. I liked the eco when I wasnt towing anything, It was fast, smooth and quiet. I didn't really care for the characteristics while towing. After just towing around 12k with my 7.3 I can safely say I enjoy it more. It has plenty of power, obviously the torque curve is different so you are up in the rpms but I had no issues gaining speed on hills or passing anyone. Maybe I just prefer the NA motors as I had my 5.0 for 9 years and did plenty of towing with it. I think if you really want the feel of the eco in a superduty you should look at the 6.7, they are very smooth, quick and pull to the moon.

My BIL pulls a similar size trailer as I do with his 3.5 F150 and he gets 7 mpg where I get 10.5 with the 7.3.

Nothing wrong with the EcoBoost but when the turbos are constantly spooling then fuel mileage is compromised.

7.3 is a simplistic engine designed for longevity and to work......you will enjoy.

I came from the 2.7L in my 2017 F150. I kind of miss the sudden influx of power when the turbos would spool up but having reliable and constant power has been amazing.

Before the F250 we towed a larger pop up with the F150 and cruising down the highway the RPM was always sitting right where the turbos were spooled and working. I was not personally a fan of that however I learned that when in a bind you need to be able to move quickly and waiting for the turbos to spool would have been bad on a few occasions. The 7.3L provides much more comfort in knowing the power is always available.

We just attempted a few 0-60 pulls with and without our camper attached. We have a video on YouTube but I will spoil it here (the GPS based app sucked) but we were low 7 seconds without the camper and somewhere between 13.5 and 15.5 with the camper which weighs around 7,000 pounds. I was impressed.

Here is the video, the 0-60 runs are at the end but again, the app had a delay so I cannot say it was perfect. We need to get a better device and try it again.

I went from my 19 F150 with the 3.5eb to my current 20 F350 7.3 and am happy with the switch. The 3.5eb had no problem pulling our 29' TT on the flats and for the most part held speed on the climbs, but I was always way over payload and even after E rated tires, shocks, air bags and adjusting the WDH, I never felt planted and the drive over the pass and through the curves sucked. Yes, I slowed down, but still felt like the front end was floating and the trailer was trying to push the truck through the corners. If we didn't go over the pass at least once a season, might still have my F150. Pressing the gas on the climbs to accelerate, had to wait for the engine to spool before it would get going.

Got my 350 in November, love the engine. If I drive conservatively, I can get 14 mpg with a good mix of in town and freeway. The 3.5eb was anywhere from 17 to 20 mpg, as long as I kept it from spooling up. Towing over the pass was about 10 with the 7.3 over spring break, trips with the 3.5 were as low as 5. Was going up Snoqualmie Pass and needed to pass a semi, hit the gas on the new truck and it just went, no waiting. Felt planted the entire 1000 mile trip.

Also, I have about a 1 to 1.2k pound tounge weight depending on if I need to haul water in the fresh tank. I was able to just hook up for a local trip this last weekend and go with my weigh safe drop hitch, no need for the wdh. I still use a wdh for the longer trips and higher speeds, but that is mostly for sway control.

I did enjoy my 150, but I love my new truck.

Erik

Loved my 2019 F150 3.5 eco boost short bed. Bought a massive trailer and upgraded everything possible to try to make it more comfortable towing. The engine had plenty of power, never an issue even up Colorado and Utah grades.

Overall mileage was 11.1 mpg. It was a rocket ship and too fun not to drive aggressively.

Upgrades included Airbags, bilstein shocks, air intake, exhaust, pedal commander, front and rear sway bars. All made a significant improvement most of the time but when high winds hit and passing semi trucks it was white nuckle driving. Living in SoCal the roads here are shit and eventually the truck and rig just felt unsafe.

Recently upgraded to the F350 7.3 short bed. Unfortunately, Haven’t towed yet but as a daily driver very pleased so far. Average MPG is 11.2 mpg. Will update the group once we put a few thousand mikes on the rig towing this summer.

Attachments

• 75875B06-F540-4E04-8C17-533FB49BC1AB.jpeg
    75875B06-F540-4E04-8C17-533FB49BC1AB.jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 49
Bought a 2013 limited 3.5L eccoboost put just shy of 200k on it.
Still own it, love the truck, to be honest it pulled really well.
For me payload was my only issue with the truck pulling my jeep and razor 4 was way way over what the truck was capable of 1/2 ton trucks ya know. I really can't poop poo on the rig. "We'll besides they sound funny!"
I personally will never own a diesel again. Could have bought 2 trucks for what repairs cost me over the years. So when ford announced the 7.3 gas push rod motor I finally felt like I could find a good replacement for my much missed 460.
I have yet to do a long tow with the 7.3 but did a short loop with my jeep and the truck pull it very well, had about 1k tongue weight on the hitch, no complaints.
Range: f150 3.5l 530miles a tank
Range: f250 7.3l 445miles a tank

20210501_150045.jpg

I had a 2012 F150 eco-poop. Have a 6.2 V-8 Raptor and 7.3 gasser.

The eco-poop never got the fuel mpg as advertised but it did accelerate well without a load. Add a trailer and it was a dog and the mpg was worse.
The F150 was too light for a truck for me. I got pushed all over with even a small trailer.

FACT: The V-8 Raptor gets 14 MPG F150 got 18 MPG empty With small Travel trailer ( 5,000 Lbs )
F150 got 8.9 and the V-8 Raptor got 12 MPG.
I am not a fan of the eco poops. Maybe with a custom tune they may be ok. But I sold mine and never looked back.

The 7.3 Godzilla is just a beast. It has tons of power, sounds great and sucks gas but it can be fuel efficient once at highway speeds if you can keep your speed down in the low 70 mph range. If you need to tow there is pretty much nothing you can not pull with the 7.3 I love the new engine.

Back