Military
Army
Current Ride
21 f350 7.3
Current Ride #2
05 ford f150
First Responder
TN state park ranger
I’m sure this has been asked before but couldn’t find it. Was planning on getting a F-350 but if I’m only going to be doing conventional Towing is there any reason to go 350 over 250 as both have a 15000 max tow. Don’t have any plans to ever get a fifth wheel. TIA

By the time you add the download on the tow bar, people, accessories, luggage and load, including fuel, will you be over max payload?

By the time you add the download on the tow bar, people, accessories, luggage and load, including fuel, will you be over max payload?
Don’t have any clue what my payload will be I do know know my 05 F-150 pulls the current camper just fine but I’m sure as the kids get older I will need to upgrade the camper so looking at getting a bigger truck Now so I don’t have to worry about getting a new truck and camper at the same time

Don’t have any clue what my payload will be I do know know my 05 F-150 pulls the current camper just fine but I’m sure as the kids get older I will need to upgrade the camper so looking at getting a bigger truck Now so I don’t have to worry about getting a new truck and camper at the same time
There is a thread here somewhere which should give you an idea of what you might expect your payload to be. I speak metric, from memory the F250 Tremor payload was around 1350kg and the F350 about 1750kg.

They are essentially the same truck if you are comparing gas 250 to gas 350 or diesel to diesel except for the GVWR. So, assuming you don’t mind the roughly $1k up charge for a 350 and you don’t live in a state that charges significantly more to register a vehicle with higher GVWR (see California and 11.5k GVWR...) then you should select a 350. Just my $0.02

I’m sure this has been asked before but couldn’t find it. Was planning on getting a F-350 but if I’m only going to be doing conventional Towing is there any reason to go 350 over 250 as both have a 15000 max tow. Don’t have any plans to ever get a fifth wheel. TIA

For me it was a matter of resale ... I was told that the F-350 would carry a higher resale value ... and I would also have the potential larger towing capability. I love my F350 Tremor ... no regrets here.

I ordered F-250 6.7L and after reading everyone’s input a went to the dealer 2 weeks later and changed it to a F350. Get the 350. My order change was 200$ difference. It’s the exact same truck but with a different sticker that says it can haul heavier weight LEGALLY. Plus a Badge that says 350. EXACT SAME TRUCK.
There has been so much on this topic. Even people getting upset over if there is anything different from 250-350.
It sucked going back to the dealer and changing my order so do your research and put the right order in. We don’t even have an RV yet. So now that’s what I’m researching now and my next order.
I’m planning on keeping my Tremor Beast for a long time so even if I could get away with a 250 for now I’m going to eventually upgrade what I’m going to tow. My truck was 88,649$ after getting 5,150$ off MSRP. So I’m in it for the long game.
Go to my thread Changed my order from F-250 to F350 and added X Plan Lots of talk on this subject. Scroll through past topics. There’s about 4-5 threads that have more input than my thread. Scroll the pages of what’s new.
Best of luck with your order.

I ordered F-250 6.7L and after reading everyone’s input a went to the dealer 2 weeks later and changed it to a F350. Get the 350. My order change was 200$ difference. It’s the exact same truck but with a different sticker that says it can haul heavier weight LEGALLY. Plus a Badge that says 350. EXACT SAME TRUCK.
There has been so much on this topic. Even people getting upset over if there is anything different from 250-350.
It sucked going back to the dealer and changing my order so do your research and put the right order in. We don’t even have an RV yet. So now that’s what I’m researching now and my next order.
I’m planning on keeping my Tremor Beast for a long time so even if I could get away with a 250 for now I’m going to eventually upgrade what I’m going to tow. My truck was 88,649$ after getting 5,150$ off MSRP. So I’m in it for the long game.
Go to my thread Changed my order from F-250 to F350 and added X Plan Lots of talk on this subject. Scroll through past topics. There’s about 4-5 threads that have more input than my thread. Scroll the pages of what’s new.
Best of luck with your order.

I understand that the difference for the 350 is that there are 2 extra springs in the rear to support additional weight, the rear axle is thicker (wrong term) than the one on the 250. I also think there is some extra weight in the front ... no idea why. They say the springs make the ride a little stiffer ... but I did not notice any difference ... once again for the minimal increase to purchase the 350 and the potential greater resale and towing ... drove my decision ... and I love the truck. Here is a good video on the topic:

I understand that the difference for the 350 is that there are 2 extra springs in the rear to support additional weight, the rear axle is thicker (wrong term) than the one on the 250. I also think there is some extra weight in the front ... no idea why. They say the springs make the ride a little stiffer ... but I did not notice any difference ... once again for the minimal increase to purchase the 350 and the potential greater resale and towing ... drove my decision ... and I love the truck.
Not on a TREMOR...only non tremor F250s............On a Tremor the axle, springs, rear end are the same...only the fender badge, cargo capacity, and gvwr are different. Check it out!! Even the part number spray painted on the spring pack is the same!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I think I will just go with my original plan and get the F-350 the only done side is I will have to order as for some reason dealers around me only seem to have the f250 in stock.

Thanks everyone I think I will just go with my original plan and get the F-350 the only done side is I will have to order as for some reason dealers around me only seem to have the f250 in stock.
Ask for invoice pricing. Call around. There was a lot of discussions on getting it below invoice. You should be able to get a sweet deal ordering it. Good Luck. You are making the right choice with the 350 :)

If you are hauling a full cab of people lot of weight in the box than it is possible to exceed the stickered 250 payload even with a conventional trailer. For me with adults in the cab ATV in the box not hard to break 2000 LBS of load without trailer. With most campers expect up to 15% tongue weight Very easy to go over most f250 stickered payload even with a light trailer and full cab and box. My load on a ATV trip with tongue weight passengers and cargo Is in the 3000 lbs range. That is a little over most F250 Lariat trucks I was looking in the neighborhood of 2800LB payload in a F250. In the Lariat F350 payload was in approximately 3300 lb range diesel and 3800 lb range gas. For me with the 350 all the passengers don’t need to chug crows milk before leaving on a ATV trip to keep us buy the books.

The max tow rating is never the limiting factor... its always the payload... 10-15% of your trailers weight goes on the hitch and counts as payload + weight of the hitch, sway bars, a tonneau cover, generator, toys, bikes, passengers... most of the people underestimate that...
We tow our 27' airstream with a '19 RAM 1500 and it pulls it fine went through the mountains in Colorado no issues whatsoever... But I know I am overweight and I haven't even been on a scuba trip with our trailer yet, meaning im far from having loaded what I would like to. (when we go on a scuba trip flying somewhere, we have 6x72lbs ceck in and probably another 100lbs carry on)
So I ordered a F350 not wanting to end up in a payload problem anymore and also wanting to put an RSI SmartCab evo on the next truck.
I know the F250 and F350 is the same truck but what if something happens and the insurance finds out your vehicle was loaded more than its GVWR it will be an easy one for them to bail and leave you in the rain... also some states actually have fines for being overloaded... So unless you need to stay below a certain GVWR for registration purposes I'd just go straight F350 and not have to worry anymore...

I went through the same process. My F150 pulls camper just fine, but I am always at or overweight. Even after upgrading tires and adding bags, just doesn't quite do it.. Going back and forth between 250 and 350, only about $1k difference for same builds, ended up ordering my 350.

I went through the same process. My F150 pulls camper just fine, but I am always at or overweight. Even after upgrading tires and adding bags, just doesn't quite do it.. Going back and forth between 250 and 350, only about $1k difference for same builds, ended up ordering my 350.

Well airbags, tires, WDH etc. doesn't change the GVWR although some swear it does... Eitherway you made the right call...

Well airbags, tires, WDH etc. doesn't change the GVWR although some swear it does... Eitherway you made the right call...
I knew that it wouldn't change the GVWR, was mostly trying to help with safety and squat. It was hard for me to fathom that on a truck with the "max tow package," Ford would leave standard load pax tires, sport mirrors, and the same 3 pack rear leaf. My bad for not thinking it through when I bought it, but the travel trailer was just a thought at the time... Live and learn

Not on a TREMOR...only non tremor F250s............On a Tremor the axle, springs, rear end are the same...only the fender badge, cargo capacity, and gvwr are different. Check it out!! Even the part number spray painted on the spring pack is the same!

OK ... I will check that out next time I see a Tremor F250 ... Good to know...

Latest Discussions

Back