Military
Army
Current Ride
Velocity Blue F350 Diesel with Sport & Ultimate package
Current Ride #2
20 Explorer / 18 Indian Chieftain Limited / 19 Can-Am Defender XMR
First Responder
Volunteer Firefighter
I know we have talked about this. But im confused at the moment, and couldn't find a clear answer searching around on here. A truck my buddy looking at has "HIGH CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PKG" for $1130. When im on the ford website the only thing I see like that is "F-250 Trailer Tow High Capacity w/Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System and Pro Trailer Backup Assist Package" for $2730.

So what does this package mean/do: HIGH CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PKG

Looking at the details on Ford just for F250 6.7L PS the Trailer Tow Package - High Capacity: it shows trailer brake, upgraded axle and increased GCWR from 23500 to 30300 lbs.

This does not get the camera system that the other more expensive package gets it appears or the trailer pro backup assist system.

I had to do a build online to get those details by the way.

Last edited:
You should be able to get the high capacity tow package without the Pro Trailer Backup Assist package if you want. The PTBA adds the 360° camera view (adds cameras to the side mirrors), which I think is kinda neat.

Ok. so HIGH CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PKG makes the towing capability like a 350? My buddy plans to get a 5 wheel in the near future which is why he was originally looking for a 350. but they're few and far between. And in the price range, he wants to spend

Well he should open the drivers door and take a look at that payload sticker before he pulls the trigger. There is a thread or two on that here. A fifth wheel trailer could put him at the “legal” payload limits quick going by that sticker. It’s all about the pin weight on a fifth wheel when it comes to payload on a 250 to 350.

He did . i don't remember exactly. but its over 3k.

I know we have talked about this. But im confused at the moment, and couldn't find a clear answer searching around on here. A truck my buddy looking at has "HIGH CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PKG" for $1130. When im on the ford website the only thing I see like that is "F-250 Trailer Tow High Capacity w/Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System and Pro Trailer Backup Assist Package" for $2730.

So what does this package mean/do: HIGH CAPACITY TRAILER TOW PKG
Here is what it includes battle buddy. ?

Screenshot_20200806-151201_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

There are other threads on this matter, but if you get a 6.7 Diesel F250 with the High Capacity Towing Package (what I have), the jury is out whether this is the exact same truck as a 6.7 Diesel F350. The rear axle is definitely the same. The rear springs have the same number of leafs and may be the same, or may not. The rear springs for the F250 w/ High Cap Towing vs. F350 have different codes on the stickers. My truck's payload is 2862lbs. An F350's would have a number 700-900 more printed on the sticker, so say 3562. Whether or not mine has an actual payload of 3562 is up for debate. If they're the exact same springs, the number printed is a lie.

If you don't care about that stuff, the F250 with the High Cap Towing is great and may be the same thing as an F350. If the number on the sticker is important, find or order an F350. On Ford's website, you can search inventory and increase the search radius by typing a bigger number in the URL.

I got that. and the payload is over 3k. Which is makes me say its comparable to a 350. i was jsut confused on the wording of the packages, because i didn't see the one on the site when i looked to get info for it.

Long story short will it haul a 5th wheel toy hauler. thats the end goal.

Long story short will it haul a 5th wheel toy hauler. thats the end goal.
It depends on the weight of the 5 th wheel toy hauler and pin weight.
I am sure there are some that will work and probably some big ones that you need a dually to pull.

Update. The payload sticker says 2948. I mixed it up with another truck. he just sent me the pic

See if you can get it without the back up assist. That thing is garage. I had it on my last Raptor ans it sucked. I’m good with the trailer and boat. I thought it would be better for the wife since she doesn't back up a trailer very well. The Pro back up assist in my Raptor would always lose the sticker and it would come to a stop. Then I’d wait a few seconds and it would find the sticker again then my wife would keep going. I hated it!

I don't back up trailers, but i like the 360° top down view. It's kinda corny, but it helps you find the lines in a parking space, and they tout it as good for off road use as well. I don't know if you can get the side cameras without PTBA.

I don't back up trailers, but i like the 360° top down view. It's kinda corny, but it helps you find the lines in a parking space, and they tout it as good for off road use as well. I don't know if you can get the side cameras without PTBA.
The PTBA is a great package of options, and with 5th wheel prep, your truck is a 350 without the Sticker that says so. I agree that the knob thing is probably a waste but the cameras and upgraded rear axle and suspension are worth it...IMHO

What is the upgraded rear axle?

Instead of the sterling rear axle you get the Dana M275.

Interesting, I guess the 7.3L already gets the Dana with 4.3 gears, mine has it.

As erikswedberg started seems to be just the stickered weight Is the difference. In terms of a Tremor 250 with the HCTTP it will have a GVWR of 10800 and the Tremor 350 will have 11500 GVWR. For the legal beagles pin weight is going to be the big factor on 250 HCTTP vs 350 not the rated GVWC in most cases. That is if you want to be strict by the books on payload. It is amazing how fast you can eat up payload even on a 350.

As erikswedberg started seems to be just the stickered weight Is the difference. In terms of a Tremor 250 with the HCTTP it will have a GVWR of 10800 and the Tremor 350 will have 11500 GVWR. For the legal beagles pin weight is going to be the big factor on 250 HCTTP vs 350 not the rated GVWC in most cases. That is if you want to be strict by the books on payload. It is amazing how fast you can eat up payload even on a 350.
You are absolutely 100% Correct. To be legal, Pin weight is the critical factor! in cargo capacity and towing capacity. We all know these trucks are capable of towing 20,000 LBS all day long. But you do not want to end up bankrupt doing 3-5 because you didn't tow legally and someone died. It doesn't even have to be your fault! That is the scary part!

Back