2035 - California to Ban Sale of New Gasoline Vehicles

15 years is very aggressive for something that massive of a undertaking. Batteries were a issue over 20 years ago when I was in college. And lots of research going on improving that but we are only recently seeing what was being developed then being commercially available. To quote my old professor is making a great electric car is easy and had been done already getting a better batterie is the challenge. Here we are 20 years later and the batteries are still the issue for electric cars. It was only a handful of years ago Tesla were having substantial volatility issues with the batteries. Go too fast and now have a public safety concern.

As Pompey pointed out the infrastructure upgrades to support the charging loads are even less likely in 15 years. Especially in a highly regulated area like CA where electric grid is currently struggling to keep up with demand without all the added charging load.
Indeed. Here in my state they decided to upgrade the grid some years ago. It was mainly to do with adding substations to keep supply up with a huge population increase. That effort would be absolutely dwarfed by what would be required for a complete switch to electric vehicles.

If you are already experiencing power shortages now then you will be in a whole world of pain by mandating such a huge increase in demand for an already scarce commodity. The knock on effect will be not only increased electricity bills for the home, but business as well. Sites will be required for new power stations as well.

Sure, we have the technology to roll out the infrastructure. That isn’t a problem that needs solving. The cost of it is something that time probably won’t solve. The effects of this China virus is having a negative economic effect. Just where will the money come from to pay for this enormous capital expenditure? Normally with huge capital expenditures you end up with an overall economic gain. Apart from politicians thinking they should feel good by doing something there are no significant obvious economic gains.

And what exactly do you achieve by doing all of this?

So yes, it is a dumb law.
Like all liberal ideas, what you achieve is making idiots feel better. Who cares about the actual results, as long as sheep feel better.

Like all liberal ideas, what you achieve is making idiots feel better. Who cares about the actual results, as long as sheep feel better.
Sorry about my language but California is the only state that can Fuck Up a Wet Dream.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service
Thank you but I have alot of brothers and I guess some sisters who also service... But it is important to thanks everyone who serves.. military, police, and fire & emt.... Everyone plays there part to a peaceful merica

I guess CA wants to give up anything brought to the state in a diesel truck since 90% of US commerce is distributed by diesel trucks and the remainder by diesel trains. The fact that the Biden/Harris ticket wants to make the remaining 49 states just like CA should scare the living hell out of any normal thinking American. Be careful who you vote for! Trump 2020!!! he may be a it over the top but at least he has a brain and cares what normal Americans want!

I guess CA wants to give up anything brought to the state in a diesel truck since 90% of US commerce is distributed by diesel trucks and the remainder by diesel trains. The fact that the Biden/Harris ticket wants to make the remaining 49 states just like CA should scare the living hell out of any normal thinking American. Be careful who you vote for! Trump 2020!!! he may be a it over the top but at least he has a brain and cares what normal Americans want!

And climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese... Qanon has the only truth! Trump for emperor! Oh no we should make him a God! Even better... But only if I can tax deduct 70k for a haircut next year...

As an Electrical Engineer in the Utility and Electrical Construction industry for 30 years, it will be EXTREMELY difficult for California to meet the electrical demands to replace fossil fuels in a one to one exchange. Presently, the electrical contractor I work for builds 100's of MW of solar PV every year, and I recently posted this on another social media platform:

California, something to consider when your Governor has decided no fossil fuel cars to be sold after 2035.

California presently uses 48 Million gallons of gas and 10 Million gallons of Diesel per day. Consider if you will, all of that fossil fuel would be replaced with the most efficient solar PV systems we have today, that's nearly 200,000MW (or as "Doc" Brown would say on Back to the Future, 200 Gigawatts!).

To put this in perspective, you would need to cover an area 700 square miles, or about 26mi x 26mi. See the graphic below for the region this would cover (white box). The red arrows point to solar fields already built in the Palmdale / Lancaster area. Most of these are in the 100MW to 200MW size (almost 1000x to 2000x smaller). Is this a realistic replacement within 15 Years?

Solar vs fossil fuels.jpg

Solar Area.jpg

As an Electrical Engineer in the Utility and Electrical Construction industry for 30 years, it will be EXTREMELY difficult for California to meet the electrical demands to replace fossil fuels in a one to one exchange. Presently, the electrical contractor I work for builds 100's of MW of solar PV every year, and I recently posted this on another social media platform:
Great point while we are at it might as well add massive storage arrays so can spread the charging load out beyond the 10 hour average productivity window. Coupled with the required infrastructure upgrades to handle the extra load 15 years is plenty of time :ROFLMAO:.

I am not saying moving to renewable energy sources are a bad thing and should not happen, but these dream land baseed timeframes are frustrating.

And climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese... Qanon has the only truth! Trump for emperor! Oh no we should make him a God! Even better... But only if I can tax deduct 70k for a haircut next year...
It might not be a hoax but the Chinese are the world's leading contributor to green house gas emissions and air pollution. But no one thought to include them in the garbage Paris climate accord

I believe it’s the greatest hoax in history. One only has to look at the long list of doomsday predictions that never happened. They want to rid the world of what they call a pollutant-CO2! They don’t seem to understand that the CO2 emitted into the atmosphere by the burning of fossil fuels is simply returning the gas to where it originally came from.

Coal is essentially dead vegetation. This dead vegetation, when it was living, drew down the CO2 from an atmosphere many times current levels. The emissions from burning it now feeds current vegetation, and the small increase in atmospheric CO2 levels we have seen has only resulted in further greening of the planet and record world grain harvests. At the same time, the frequency and severity of tropical cyclones has diminished. Yes, one of those doomsday predictions about increased storm activity proven wrong.

I know we've gone completely off the rails with this discussion but it's too tempting not to keep it going. The point being is that banning gas powered vehicles will accomplish nothing. California can't keep the lights on as it is, how do they think they'll manage to sustain tens of millions of electric vehicles charging at the same time. Additionally, electric cars aren't that eco friendly. Why does no one want to talk about the pollution and environmental destruction generated by the mining for metals used in battery production? And what about the wrecked cars. Unlike ICE cars most battery cars are a write off even with the most minor damage due to risk of battery cell rupture. So instead of fixed the car they let it rot in a field and the liberal yuppies go and buy a replacement. Unless you have a completely off-grid electrical system in your house, your electric car is most likely a coal powered car. It's all feel good bullshit. Virtue signaling to make themselves feel better while screwing the average joe. Don't even get me started on tax incentives. Why are we subsidizing rich assholes so they can drive $100k iphones

I’m enjoying this enough to chime in as well. One more thing that I don’t think has been mentioned is the tax revenue lost from “gas tax” added to those gallons of fuel that go directly toward the budgets for maintaining roadways. If no one is using fossil fuels for transportation, the tax revenues will drop far enough for some of the California Dimocats to realize it, and it won’t be long before they hammer you with a tax, probably based on miles traveled, each year at registration time. Get ready to pay thousands for the “privilege“ of living and driving in California.

I know we've gone completely off the rails with this discussion but it's too tempting not to keep it going. The point being is that banning gas powered vehicles will accomplish nothing. California can't keep the lights on as it is, how do they think they'll manage to sustain tens of millions of electric vehicles charging at the same time. Additionally, electric cars aren't that eco friendly. Why does no one want to talk about the pollution and environmental destruction generated by the mining for metals used in battery production? And what about the wrecked cars. Unlike ICE cars most battery cars are a write off even with the most minor damage due to risk of battery cell rupture. So instead of fixed the car they let it rot in a field and the liberal yuppies go and buy a replacement. Unless you have a completely off-grid electrical system in your house, your electric car is most likely a coal powered car. It's all feel good bullshit. Virtue signaling to make themselves feel better while screwing the average joe. Don't even get me started on tax incentives. Why are we subsidizing rich assholes so they can drive $100k iphones
Even if they go off grid entirely, be it solar or wind, coal is still essential for either to be produced. In Australia, we have the absurd situation of having the worlds greatest deposits of uranium, but it’s illegal to have nuclear energy. We have some of the biggest and best deposits in the world of black coal, but no coal fired powered station has been built for decades even though many have closed. Since the roll out of renewables, we’ve gone from about the worlds cheapest electricity to the most expensive. One small storm caused a state wide blackout, because they only had renewables in that state. We are soon to be the biggest exporter of natural gas in the world, but barely have enough for local consumption and in some states exploration is banned. So yes, I am very worried we will soon follow suit, especially if there is a change in government, and have mandated zero emissions

Latest Discussions

Back