2024 SD Tremor - Tire Noise at HW speeds

midohioboarder

Tremor Newbie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2024 F250 Lariat Tremor
As you probably already know, the truck comes new with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 35” on it. On my first highway trip 65+mph, I noticed the pulsing “whoop” sound of an unbalanced tire. I took the truck to Discount Tire. Paid them $60 to service the tires for life. (Rotations and balancing). They found something they call Road Force to be high on two of the wheels. To be honest, I am not sure if this is something they only have. They corrected the issue. Truck is much quieter on the HW now. They also called me back to see how cheap the tires are. After they had everything set up as perfectly as possible, the tire still has a high spot, I assume where it was vulcanized. Point is, the duratrac is not a great tire, but, you might be able to get them to run quieter if you’re willing to spend a little.

As you probably already know, the truck comes new with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 35” on it. On my first highway trip 65+mph, I noticed the pulsing “whoop” sound of an unbalanced tire. I took the truck to Discount Tire. Paid them $60 to service the tires for life. (Rotations and balancing). They found something they call Road Force to be high on two of the wheels. To be honest, I am not sure if this is something they only have. They corrected the issue. Truck is much quieter on the HW now. They also called me back to see how cheap the tires are. After they had everything set up as perfectly as possible, the tire still has a high spot, I assume where it was vulcanized. Point is, the duratrac is not a great tire, but, you might be able to get them to run quieter if you’re willing to spend a little.

Road Force I want to say is a term used for a tire balancing machine. Hunter Equipment tends to be pretty highly rated for their ability to balance tires. Hence if you have a particular problem that "regular balancing" can't help they use the Road Force in troubleshooting. The machine mimics the vehicle weight on the tire as going down the road helping to find the issue(s). I don't think it's specific to each vehicle, just an application of "weight" to the tire while spinning it for balancing.

The good news is that Duratracs get louder as they wear. Right now is the quietest they will ever be. I ran a set on my FJ Cruiser. The first 10k-ish miles were ok. After that they progressively became louder. Canned them at 25k miles. They had plenty of tread left but the noise sounded like I was running Boggers.

Very unusual for a company like Discount to take time to call you to say how "cheap" Goodyear tires are, especially since they sell them. Just saying!

Well I mean if stock tires were quiet I might pull over and check to see if they were still on 😂 Anywho, performance on 4x4 snow trails, dirt roads, and highway use they work pretty well. A little loud when I first got the truck but noise has actually reduced significantly after about 1k miles. The only thing I can say is QC may be an issue per tire as with anything else.

Latest Discussions

Back