Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
22MY F250 Star White Lariat Tremor
Current Ride #2
22MY Winnebago Voyage 2831RB
I personally have never seen the benefit to the swing open tailgate. Every time I see a ram with it my eye goes immediately to the vertical seem and looks horrible. Hopefully it's something that can be optioned out the next time I'm in the market for a truck.

Tailgates have been overengineered like crazy lately - but I like some of the features! However, can I get a lockable in-bed trunk like the Ridgeline has/had? That would be awesome for tools.

Tailgates have been overengineered like crazy lately - but I like some of the features! However, can I get a lockable in-bed trunk like the Ridgeline has/had? That would be awesome for tools.
Even if they stamped in a small circular depression in the bed with a hatch that the spare tire would fit around (underneath) it would be helpful. Flip the spare around so the space is deeper and then include a cover so the outward face of the rim doesn't get trashed.

Even if they stamped in a small circular depression in the bed with a hatch that the spare tire would fit around (underneath) it would be helpful. Flip the spare around so the space is deeper and then include a cover so the outward face of the rim doesn't get trashed.
Agreed - fantastic idea.

I personally have never seen the benefit to the swing open tailgate. Every time I see a ram with it my eye goes immediately to the vertical seem and looks horrible. Hopefully it's something that can be optioned out the next time I'm in the market for a truck.
I completely agree when I saw this the other day I thought it was such an eyesore and prefer the standard tailgates we have on the current superdutys so much cleaner. Second thought was if you ever get rear-ended or for some reason smach up the tailgate backing into something is the outrageous cost it will be to replace something like that

I can see in certain situations how it would be easier to load items into the truck with the new tailgate design. I'd be interested to see how ramps connect. No more tailgate issues when loading ATVs or something heavy. With that said, I wouldn't want it on my truck. I like the extra bedspace the tailgate provides if we need to haul something big.

Also noticed the F150 got the heads up display finally too.

It’s always interesting to see new tailgate tech. I’m not opposed to tech, but sometimes I think they make up problems to find solutions for. I’m not against pro backup assist, even though I’d not really use it, but to watch the truck now back itself up to the hitch, geez man. They’re taking all the manliness out of our trucks!! Haha

I think its a pretty good design. much better than the crazy shit GM has going on!

Uh, no thank you. Granted it's on an F150 but these things have a way of migrating... There may be certain use cases where it becomes convenient, but long term I wouldn't want the tailgate structure or sealing integrity compromised:

Note: @BroncoHooves reminded me I already posted about this, but at least it's an updated video 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Uh, no thank you. Granted it's on an F150 but these things have a way of migrating... There may be certain use cases where it becomes convenient, but long term I wouldn't want the tailgate structure or sealing integrity compromised:

Agree, don't like it, especially in a HD truck.

Why- (did?) ford get rid of the built in /foldable bed extender? Seems like especially with the new camera on the tailgate the extender would be great. I had one on my 19 and used it a lot

Back