2022 F350 Tremor Drift and Sway Issues

I would suggest an alignment with a caster angle of 4 degrees. This made a big difference in my 2 previous Super Dutys. I’ll have this done at my dealer before I pickup my ‘22 next month.
Makes for a super stable ride.

To fix your DTE, have s&b send you their EZ Lynk. It is an option at checkout. I couldn’t get forscan to fix my DTE after upgrading to the 60 gal either, but the Ez Lynk fixed it instantly.

Just got done pulling my toy hauler 11.5k loaded this weekend. Truck has 700 miles on it now. Towing was better than my 19 F150 but holy shit the trailer sway is real and the truck alarmed out on my several times. It was windy but not extreme. Was running 55/65 on the tire pressure.

Also I know this thread is about away but man the towing range of the 7.3 SUCKS! the fuel tank is clearly not big enough and this motor drinks fuel. Uphill I found it happiest in 5th gear around 3.5-4k rpm and 55-60 mph. It holds it pretty well even at that weight. It was 110 degrees outside and the trans temp got to 237 the highest and drops off immediately when not pulling grade.

Just got done pulling my toy hauler 11.5k loaded this weekend. Truck has 700 miles on it now. Towing was better than my 19 F150 but holy shit the trailer sway is real and the truck alarmed out on my several times. It was windy but not extreme. Was running 55/65 on the tire pressure.

Also I know this thread is about away but man the towing range of the 7.3 SUCKS! the fuel tank is clearly not big enough and this motor drinks fuel. Uphill I found it happiest in 5th gear around 3.5-4k rpm and 55-60 mph. It holds it pretty well even at that weight. It was 110 degrees outside and the trans temp got to 237 the highest and drops off immediately when not pulling grade.
I think the tank is too small even when unladen. I drive 110 mi round trip M-F, and have to fill up every 3 days. when I fill up, the range is approx 410 mi vs 550 for my old Raptor.

I lowered to 60/60 before I drove off the lot & have had minimal issues. I was expecting more drift. I have recently added the Fox ATS Stabilizer & it has helped on rough roads.

Attachments

• IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 91
Very intriguing! You are good at building anticipation...

I agree with others regarding hitch setup. The different spring rates, tires, etc between your previous truck and the Tremor may be just enough to change the dynamics when pulling the same trailer and load. I would suspect the effective loading of the front wheels is probably the culprit.

I have been leaning towards the weigh safe for mine to dial in the setup more precisely and/or make adjustments if necessary.

Last edited:
Ok, I finally have my truck and after the 500+ mile drive home with most of that being well over 80+ MPH I am confident in one issue I have with this truck -- and it's just what you're going to deal with on a leaf sprung truck -- rear axle drift.

I'd take a hard corner at 80+ and coming out of the corner the truck would feel as though it were fishtailing. It wasn't, that's just the body moving where the axle is not.

A sway bar will fix this, and will be the absolute first addition I'll be making to my truck.

If you don't drive like an asshole -- probably never notice this. Sway bar is cheaper then therapy so swaybar it is!

I can only imagine towing is going to amplify this issue.

My tires were fine, didn't notice any problems or wandering with them at all. Just normal mud tires. They were overinflated mud tires so they acted like you'd expect if you were driving a 1 ton truck on bicycle tires -- as soon as I reduced pressure it was fine, though.

That rear end drift, though, no bueno.

Floating or drifting is the first thing I noticed on this truck. It is sitting on 37's with dual Fox stabilizers, but she still floats around. Dealer said it was due to the lift.., it only had 1700 miles on it when I got it and all the work was done already. Gonna keep driving and see what happens. Its going to my lift shop next month to get the once over, everything seems tight but who knows.

just went through all these issues. Go get an alignment, not at the dealership but a reputable shop who only specializes in alignments. Most shops will just align it within factory tolerances. Mine had mix issues with camber,toe, and caster.

I did mine at Arrow Alignment in Las Vegas. Tech took the time to go on test drives with me after adjustments to get it nuts on. Now I can drive 90Mph and let the go of the steering wheel and it tracks straight. Even set the FOX ats SS to lowest setting (first thing I swtiched out as recommended on this forum). Technician owned a superdiuty and doesnt even run a SS. Its all in the alignment!

I have never experienced any float or drift with my 22 Tremor . First time I towed a 7k lb travel trailer , was not very far maybe 15miles with just my regular B&W hitch. Smooth as can be, no issues....The second time I towed the same trailer about the same distance, same hitch...If I went over 65 it got scary, but as I didnt tow often before now, Im not sure if this was the truck or if it was wind...it was pretty windy, id say 20+ at least if not slightly more...would this possibly be why it was so bad this last trip?

Since I have never seen issues before when not towing, it sounds like most of you with issues see or feel this even when not towing, so hoping it was just the wind.

I did just get my tires rotated so maybe they filled em to 80psi and I can drop that,. Also for longer trips, I have a bigger hitch with the sway control bars and all that.

I have never experienced any float or drift with my 22 Tremor . First time I towed a 7k lb travel trailer , was not very far maybe 15miles with just my regular B&W hitch. Smooth as can be, no issues....The second time I towed the same trailer about the same distance, same hitch...If I went over 65 it got scary, but as I didnt tow often before now, Im not sure if this was the truck or if it was wind...it was pretty windy, id say 20+ at least if not slightly more...would this possibly be why it was so bad this last trip?

Since I have never seen issues before when not towing, it sounds like most of you with issues see or feel this even when not towing, so hoping it was just the wind.

I did just get my tires rotated so maybe they filled em to 80psi and I can drop that,. Also for longer trips, I have a bigger hitch with the sway control bars and all that.
A 20 mph wind is very noticeable if it's from the side. I would check those tire pressures.

/rant on
I'm so tired of seeing these threads. I ordered a Tremor with the expectation of doing a lot of long-haul towing trips. Every time I see these (and there are a lot of them), I think that I'm a moron for ordering the Tremor. Why didn't I just listen to my wife and order a dually. I guess time will tell (if my truck ever shows up), but my enthusiasm drops with each one of these.

Lots of people say they're fine for towing, but I sure see a lot of issues on this forum.
/rant off

When I bought my Tremor, I had no idea it was such a poor tow vehicle. A poorly-researched purchase on my part.

I am hoping my improved caster angle will help matters.

/rant on
I'm so tired of seeing these threads. I ordered a Tremor with the expectation of doing a lot of long-haul towing trips. Every time I see these (and there are a lot of them), I think that I'm a moron for ordering the Tremor. Why didn't I just listen to my wife and order a dually. I guess time will tell (if my truck ever shows up), but my enthusiasm drops with each one of these.

Lots of people say they're fine for towing, but I sure see a lot of issues on this forum.
/rant off
Remember that on social media most of the complaints are by a handful of people, and 90%, maybe more maybe less, are happy with their truck and how it drives and tows. Most satisfied people never say anything. Also, you could get a dually that is misaligned from the factory and have the same issues that are discussed in this thread. @JBuckets hit it perfectly in his comments about five posts up the page. Some think changing suspension parts and tires are needed. Those that have taken the proper approach have gotten the front end alignment corrected by someone who knows what they are doing and have proven that it's most likely the root solution in most cases. I get your frustration but don't sell the truck short before you get it.

Remember that on social media most of the complaints are by a handful of people, and 90%, maybe more maybe less, are happy with their truck and how it drives and tows. Most satisfied people never say anything. Also, you could get a dually that is misaligned from the factory and have the same issues that are discussed in this thread. @JBuckets hit it perfectly in his comments about five posts up the page. Some think changing suspension parts and tires are needed. Those that have taken the proper approach have gotten the front end alignment corrected by someone who knows what they are doing and have proven that it's most likely the root solution in most cases. I get your frustration but don't sell the truck short before you get it.

Yaup, it's eye of the beholder, too. I see people all the time talking about ride quality of these trucks and how rough it is, drinks spilling, whatever.

So I expected a rough ride when I got it.

Nope, rides better than my 1500 Ram. Damn Cadillac in comparison. My Ram was literally jarring. Mostly because of bags -- but also because it had e-rated 35" tires and a frame and other components that really just weren't designed for what I was using it for.

As for the sway feeling. That's a solid leaf sprung axle thing for me -- my Jeep does it, too. But, I don't drive my Jeep on the highway -- and I only noticed it going nearly 90MPH and coming out of a corner that really shouldn't be going 90MPH around but also didn't want the insane people to run me off the road if I slowed down so...

Yeah, to me this truck is amazing in terms of ride comfort and I was very pleased to see the issues I see people posting about -- at least for me and my truck, don't appear to be issues.

But I still want a rear sway bar... because I will continue to drive like an ass and would like to do so without feeling my rear axle shift. :)

Very good points. I try to think that way, but it's frustrating to see the issues. I'll try to reserve judgement until I have actually have a truck to try :).

Very good points. I try to think that way, but it's frustrating to see the issues. I'll try to reserve judgement until I have actually have a truck to try :).
I know there are hits and misses when mass production takes place and some unfortunately experience the low percentage that have issues. I've been pretty lucky I guess with the Super Duties I've owned over 40 plus years, as I've never had any bad experiences. My 21 F350 7.3 King Ranch is an absolute joy at nearly 13K miles in. Smooth, responsive, powerful enough for my needs, very tight with not a rattle or any play in the steering. No strange air leaks or water leaks. I really couldn't be more pleased.

Sometimes people have the wrong expectations and express disappoint in some ways. For some it's because they don't understand the nature of a heavy duty truck that's designed for serious work. Some that do have heavy truck experience don't understand the off road characteristics that were specifically designed into the Tremor and make it behave a little different than their previous trucks. Others come from different brands and compare their Ford to what they loved in the other brand that may be missing in the Ford.

I truly hope your experience is as nice when you do get your truck. If you read widely you will see that many feel similarly about their Tremor as I do.

I had the same frustrations with the Tremor the first few thousand miles. Steering was sloppy, felt floaty when towing a load. Had to constantly play with the steering wheel to keep it straight. I chalked it all up to being a 1 ton super duty, needing a steering stabilizer, tires, wrong hitch/load setup when towing. But then it occured to me we drive nothing but superduties at work and we beat those trucks up and had none of these issues...so I knew something was wrong. How does our fleet trucks drive better than a brand new 2022 Platinum f350? Finally, after researching an alignment shop (if they do oil changes or auto repairs) its not a specialty alignment shop! I did what I should have done from the start. As I stated earlier a proper alignment will fix these issues! Its cheaper than a steering stablizer $250 for alignment vs. fox ats $400.

One last thing, I went to the alignment shop talking about caster and tow...(like i've heard people say on this forum). After talking in depth w/ the tech and trying to understand my final alignment numbers. Its NOT all about cranking up caster and toe. It's calibrating your specific truck to its current driving characteristics. Each car will not have the same exact numbers if done correctly (they actually had to take off some caster on mine to get a proper "caster split").

So in conclusion, Ford makes awesome trucks! but I honestly feel with all the shortages and rush to meet orders. It is the quality control that suffered not the build. A few more hours on the alignment QC dept at the factory would have prevented these issues. But I'm sure they had to make a decision on where to save time to push production forward.

I had the same frustrations with the Tremor the first few thousand miles. Steering was sloppy, felt floaty when towing a load. Had to constantly play with the steering wheel to keep it straight. I chalked it all up to being a 1 ton super duty, needing a steering stabilizer, tires, wrong hitch/load setup when towing. But then it occured to me we drive nothing but superduties at work and we beat those trucks up and had none of these issues...so I knew something was wrong. How does our fleet trucks drive better than a brand new 2022 Platinum f350? Finally, after researching an alignment shop (if they do oil changes or auto repairs) its not a specialty alignment shop! I did what I should have done from the start. As I stated earlier a proper alignment will fix these issues! Its cheaper than a steering stablizer $250 for alignment vs. fox ats $400.

One last thing, I went to the alignment shop talking about caster and tow...(like i've heard people say on this forum). After talking in depth w/ the tech and trying to understand my final alignment numbers. Its NOT all about cranking up caster and toe. It's calibrating your specific truck to its current driving characteristics. Each car will not have the same exact numbers if done correctly (they actually had to take off some caster on mine to get a proper "caster split").

So in conclusion, Ford makes awesome trucks! but I honestly feel with all the shortages and rush to meet orders. It is the quality control that suffered not the build. A few more hours on the alignment QC dept at the factory would have prevented these issues. But I'm sure they had to make a decision on where to save time to push production forward.
Bingo! Again you've stated it perfectly what others are proving out as well. Likely the factory hasn't the time to fine tune the alignment on each truck and is opting to leave that for the dealers. Probably not the best course of action but necessary in the current situation.

I really wish folks would go your route first before changing out and adding after market parts. I get it that folks like upgrades, but changing parts only masks or possibly exacerbates the root problem. Way too many are having a perfect experience with their stock trucks if and when they are aligned and set up correctly. And they don't have to get rid of the articulation designed into the off road Tremor. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us your success story! 🍻

Last edited:
Back