2022 F350 Tremor Drift and Sway Issues

I have no doubt the people and trucks this affects is real but it must only affect a certain number of trucks. I’d find it interesting for someone that has a truck that has bad sway to drive one like mine that doesn’t and flip that for me to drive one with bad sway to see a direct comparison. If there is truly a big difference then it’d be time to start comparing steering link specs and such.

I’ve seen the sway of the tremor mentioned a lot on this forum. The dealer I bought my 2021 f250 7.3 tremor from is 3 hrs away. I had a couple sways in the first 50 miles. My truck had 3.1 miles on it when I got it. I haven’t had any sway since. You can drive my truck down the road with 1 finger and not have any issue. I pulled a 24’ gooseneck deck over 140 miles so far half of that empty the other half around 10k lbs and it handled every bit as well as the 6.7 CTD 2500 it replaced. I’ve driven a few million miles in 3/4 and up trucks and feel like this truck is as stable as any of the others I’ve had.
Are you a stock tire pressure or are you running lower?

As for trailering.... Is it possible to move that Tesla a littler further up in the trailer to add some tongue weight?
I'm guessing your trailer empty is around 3000 lbs, not 5800 lbs, it's all aluminum right? You should have some room to drop the trucks rear tire pressure. I would be running 60psi on all four tires.
Maybe even hit a cat scale to see how much weight is on each axle.

I have a very similar trailer (24' all aluminum) and I pull my GT3 RS from Minnesota to Florida and also run the trailer empty. It doesn't drive like a dually but I'm not white knuckling it, mostly just need to pay attention when I pass a semi as I know a little sway is coming.

This is my 3rd Tremor. I did notice when I picked this one up two weeks ago that I felt it moved around the road more than the past two, I chalked it up to the 80 PSI in the rear tires, and then proceeded to go on a 1700 miles road trip (no trailer). I agree that breaking these tires in will help, but you should be getting there.

Not super cheap but one thing you could consider is 20" wheels with a 295/65/r20 Tire (BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grappler). Maybe someone on the forum has done that and can comment on the difference towing with 18" vs 20" wheels.

Are you a stock tire pressure or are you running lower?
So when I picked the truck up it had 80psi all around. The door jam calls for 60f 80r. When I got the truck home I adjusted to 60f 70r and have been very happy with it that way. After the first 50 miles home though it still handled perfect even with 80fr

I know this conversation may have been covered to exhaustion so my sincerest apologies if it has been to the point of nauseam for you. Having read a lot of the threads here I see that most circumstances are situation dependent. So I thought I would post my situation and questions for those of you with more experience.

About me: I have a coffee company and make videos on the internet to include a lot of fun vehicle builds. Since 1998 I've had 1 F150 Super Cab, 2 F150 Crew Cabs and 2 Raptors. I've towed and hauled a lot but over the last couple years been using my company's 2017 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD to do most of the hauling. I love it. It's had a lot of modifications from lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, B&W, train horn etc. I have a Sundowner 28' Race Series bumper pull trailer that I towed empty from San Antonio to Colorado Springs and picked up a Tesla Model X. I hauled it from CO to UT to film and back to TX with absolutely ZERO issue. I couldn't believe it. I drove 80 mph at times on the highway with no drifting or sway. I loved it so much I said screw it and ordered a 2022 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD King Ranch Tremor and it came in this week! I have about 500 miles on it and feel like there is a substantial amount of "float" even without a trailer. I feel there is a lot of play in steering and drift in driving. I hooked up the same trailer and loaded the same car and drove from Austin to San Antonio and was white knuckling the whole way. Going over 65mph was not going to happen. Every time a larger vehicle passed, let alone a semi or box truck, the trailer and truck swayed and drifted hard. I was constantly having to work the trailer brake and I quite literally never used it once on the other truck.

I come to you all with my hat in my hand and am the first to admit my ignorance. With a lot of learning opportunities I know it's better to gain from others experience than it is from your own mistakes. I've seen so much discussed in these forums and honestly, I don't know how to distill it all down to my scenario. So here are are the facts:

- 2022 F350 6.7L SWD King Ranch Tremor (All Stock. 500 miles)
- Front tires: 60 PSI cold Rear tires: 75 PSI cold
- 28' Sundowner Race Series bumper pull trailer: 5800 lbs
- 2020 Tesla Model X: 5300 lbs (no seats)

I haven't modified or added anything so what would you suggest I check or add?

- Add a Equil-I-zer, anti-sway or weight distribution part?
- Specific brand of hitch?
- Any common modifications for Tremors?
- Anything I should remeasure or recheck that I could have over looked?

This Tesla is will probably get a good reaction from people on the internet. You guys are the first to see a glimpse of it haha! This thing is going to be full of coffee and guns soon. It's been a year of fabrication and a steep learning curve about all the sensors in those cars 😊 I have about 3/4" on each side of the wheel wells from tire to tire 😅.

Thanks again for all the help in advance. I'm really excited to be part of this community!!!!

View attachment 30848

View attachment 30847

Coffee and guns???? I think you came to the wrong place.

Nah.....just kidding :p:p:p:p:p

Coffee and guns are two of my favorite things ;)

Welcome!

Semper Fi

I know this conversation may have been covered to exhaustion so my sincerest apologies if it has been to the point of nauseam for you. Having read a lot of the threads here I see that most circumstances are situation dependent. So I thought I would post my situation and questions for those of you with more experience.

About me: I have a coffee company and make videos on the internet to include a lot of fun vehicle builds. Since 1998 I've had 1 F150 Super Cab, 2 F150 Crew Cabs and 2 Raptors. I've towed and hauled a lot but over the last couple years been using my company's 2017 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD to do most of the hauling. I love it. It's had a lot of modifications from lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, B&W, train horn etc. I have a Sundowner 28' Race Series bumper pull trailer that I towed empty from San Antonio to Colorado Springs and picked up a Tesla Model X. I hauled it from CO to UT to film and back to TX with absolutely ZERO issue. I couldn't believe it. I drove 80 mph at times on the highway with no drifting or sway. I loved it so much I said screw it and ordered a 2022 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD King Ranch Tremor and it came in this week! I have about 500 miles on it and feel like there is a substantial amount of "float" even without a trailer. I feel there is a lot of play in steering and drift in driving. I hooked up the same trailer and loaded the same car and drove from Austin to San Antonio and was white knuckling the whole way. Going over 65mph was not going to happen. Every time a larger vehicle passed, let alone a semi or box truck, the trailer and truck swayed and drifted hard. I was constantly having to work the trailer brake and I quite literally never used it once on the other truck.

I come to you all with my hat in my hand and am the first to admit my ignorance. With a lot of learning opportunities I know it's better to gain from others experience than it is from your own mistakes. I've seen so much discussed in these forums and honestly, I don't know how to distill it all down to my scenario. So here are are the facts:

This Tesla is will probably get a good reaction from people on the internet. You guys are the first to see a glimpse of it haha! This thing is going to be full of coffee and guns soon. It's been a year of fabrication and a steep learning curve about all the sensors in those cars 😊 I have about 3/4" on each side of the wheel wells from tire to tire 😅.

Thanks again for all the help in advance. I'm really excited to be part of this community!!!!

View attachment 30848

View attachment 30847
Due to soft tire tread.

A quick follow up... I have 1300 miles on the truck now. I've hooked both trucks up to the same trailer and still experiencing issues to the point I'm not comfortable with around the town towing, let alone a cross country haul like I need to do next week. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples with our 2017 F350 so I'm going to do all the same upgrades this week. I'll probably post photos in a separate thread so everyone can see what part numbers are confirmed to fit 2022 F350 Tremors without issue.

- Air Lift 7500 XL
- Toyo AT3s
- S&B 60g Fuel Tank
- Hellwig Adj Rear Sway Bar
- Bakflip Tonneau
- Icon 2.0 Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit

You can eliminate trailer sway with a 3P hitch, like a ProProide or Hensley. They make it tow like a 5th wheel. Expensive, but they work. Also, more tongue weight will help. I think the trailer sway is a separate issue from the Tremor tire issue.

FYI, death wobble is not what you described. Misguided info there.

A quick update. I didn't get everything installed but I did haul the exact same load of an empty trailer to San Antonio and hauling the same car back in the trailer. The truck tow a MILLION TIMES BETTER. A few things to note:

- S&B 60g Fuel Tank #SBT10-1004 fit fine with no issues remounting the skid plate. The FORscan did not work so my "mile to E" is not accurate now. Hopefully an update down the road will help.
- Icon Dual Steering Stabilizer #IVD36511-65000-64037 fit fine with enough room for the bump stop spacer
- the air bag kit that was installed after talking with the reps at Air Lift was the 2020-C Ford F250/F350 SRW Load Lifter 7500XL. There were no issues with installation.

I did not have enough time to install the sway bar but I did remove the factory reducer in the hitch from 3" to 2.5". I switch to a 3" Weight Safe adjustable drop in the same height off the ground as my other.

It did rain on the way back and I had zero issues with sway. My tongue weight on the empty trailer was 800lbs and 1300lbs with the car.

Death wobble is not wander/float/sway. Death wobble is a violent, high frequency, left/right oscillation of the front end. I've not experienced death wobble in the Tremor. Sway while towing is yet another subject.

I have a 2021 F250 King Ranch Tremor with 7.3L gasser. It has 10,000 miles on it - I think the stock tires are broken in - and it still floats/wanders and requires constant correction even while not towing. The more I lower the tire pressure the better it tracks. I carry about 42 psi in all 4 at this point when not towing. This results in acceptable tracking, but still worse than any truck I've driven in last 20 years. My wife wouldn't drive it before I lowered the tire pressures. She's not new to big trucks, and was driving hay trucks in pastures as a young girl. Her words, "That truck is dangerous!"

I've towed a couple of bumper-pull trailers with the Tremor, both large but unloaded. They were a flatbed equipment hauler and a dump-bed. I didn't use a load-leveling or sway-control hitch. Both trailers exacerbated the float, but the dump was a bit worse. I don't think I'd tow much weight without a load-leveling, sway-control hitch.

I think there a several contributing factors. Due to the design parameters of increased articulation for a more off-road mission, the tremor has no rear sway bar. The center of gravity is relatively high, given the tall tires, and taller lift blocks. The taller tires, with tall sidewalls, also contribute to more side-to-side flex than a shorter tire.

I understand that towing is not quite the designed mission of a 3/4 ton Tremor, and so I can forgive the compromises made that make it, as a result, NOT the best tow vehicle on the planet.

What I don't understand is why, unloaded, the thing requires so much attention and input to stay on the road.

I'll try different tires but not until the Duratracs are worn out.

I know my truck is far from stock, but it tows my 9500 lb trailer with 1350 lb TW great and drives like an F150 when unloaded. When new, I had to lower my duratracs to 60R and 55F before the ride and towing was acceptable.

I dropped my PSI to 50/50, and have approx 1700 mi on it. The tracking has improved quite a bit, but still not as good as the '18 Raptor I traded in.

I dropped my PSI to 50/50, and have approx 1700 mi on it. The tracking has improved quite a bit, but still not as good as the '18 Raptor I traded in.
Haha! That is true! My Tremor does not ride as nice as my smooth 2018 Raptor, but the Raptor could not carry or tow much of anything. With a 1050 lb of total payload, it was a very fast 5-seat "car" with a bed/trunk that was best left empty. :cool:

This is very good information. I have the impression that I should have done more research. If I had, I would probably have bought something other than a Tremor

I’m considering trading up to an F-350 dually.

Alternatively, I could stick with the Tremor, add a sway bar, switch to some better tires, change my hitch, etc.

My caster angle is about 2.2 degrees. I wonder if this is contributing to the problem. I feel like I need about another degree.

Had the same issues with sway. However the sway is not induced from my boat or travel trailer. The sway is from the truck. Been through the cat scales with both to ensure I have the correct percentage of tongue weight. Three things have made it more tolerable.
1. Tire pressure. 55F. 62R. Minimal affect but noticeable.
2. Hellwig 7845 sway bar. A little better.
3. FOX ATS stabilizer. Probably the most noticeable change.

In my experience so far this truck needs a greater percentage of tongue weight to make it more stable. Boat tows better, similar total weights but more tongue weight.

Firmly believe a change in tires will be in order once I burn more off the Goodyear’s.

View attachment 30848

View attachment 30847
I haven't seen where your questions were directly addressed, than again I didn't read every response.
I haven't experienced the degree of wondering that many have spoken of on the forum. As far as your enquiry goes, my take is you are referring to instability while towing specifically the trailer combination referenced.

You are still pretty low on mileage so I'm wandering if your truck running empty is stable yet? Mine did some wondering/drifting for a few hundred miles, but after lowering my tire pressure while unladen to 55 front and back I've had zero drift over the next 5000 miles. Once your truck is running true unloaded you can proceed with setting up your trailer connection.

I would highly recommend a good weight distribution/sway control hitch first, and only, until you have achieved improvements. Doing so will completely change the dynamic of steering and general stability while towing your trailer, as it will re-establish all four wheels solidly planted while hitched up. It's critical that you get the front wheels loaded down as they are unhitched.

Making multiple changes to your truck or setup will only confuse the problem with multiple symptoms. Weight distribution and sway control are going to do more to solve your problems than anything else. Don't make other mods until you are satisfied with gains made with WD hitch setup.

Regarding hitch setup, follow the manufacturer's instruction to the "T". Small changes or steps skipped can throw everything off.

I know some folks are fixated on axil sway bars. I can tell you this will make nearly zero improvement in your situation. Sway bars, the axil mounted kind, are strictly for controlling body roll under tall, heavy loads like bed mounted campers.

As far as which WD hitch to use, there are several well designed and reliable brands. The main thing is to make sure you get one that is designed for the weight of your trailer, both overall and tongue weight matched. The wrong capacity hitch will only exacerbate your problem.

I personally like the new Weigh-Safe WD hitch. My reasoning is that tongue weight to trailer weight ratio is usually 90% of the problem. The Weigh-Safe WD hitch allows you to accurately adjust and see your actual tongue weight and also allows you to precisely adjust the tension on your spring bars based on your trailer's weight and length. I've attached a link to their site for convenience.

I hope this helps a little. Go onto Youtube and watch a few of the videos related to trailer sway and also WD hitch setup. Good luck!

Back