2022 F350 Tremor Drift and Sway Issues

TX35067

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 6.7L King Ranch Tremor
I know this conversation may have been covered to exhaustion so my sincerest apologies if it has been to the point of nauseam for you. Having read a lot of the threads here I see that most circumstances are situation dependent. So I thought I would post my situation and questions for those of you with more experience.

About me: I have a coffee company and make videos on the internet to include a lot of fun vehicle builds. Since 1998 I've had 1 F150 Super Cab, 2 F150 Crew Cabs and 2 Raptors. I've towed and hauled a lot but over the last couple years been using my company's 2017 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD to do most of the hauling. I love it. It's had a lot of modifications from lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, B&W, train horn etc. I have a Sundowner 28' Race Series bumper pull trailer that I towed empty from San Antonio to Colorado Springs and picked up a Tesla Model X. I hauled it from CO to UT to film and back to TX with absolutely ZERO issue. I couldn't believe it. I drove 80 mph at times on the highway with no drifting or sway. I loved it so much I said screw it and ordered a 2022 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD King Ranch Tremor and it came in this week! I have about 500 miles on it and feel like there is a substantial amount of "float" even without a trailer. I feel there is a lot of play in steering and drift in driving. I hooked up the same trailer and loaded the same car and drove from Austin to San Antonio and was white knuckling the whole way. Going over 65mph was not going to happen. Every time a larger vehicle passed, let alone a semi or box truck, the trailer and truck swayed and drifted hard. I was constantly having to work the trailer brake and I quite literally never used it once on the other truck.

I come to you all with my hat in my hand and am the first to admit my ignorance. With a lot of learning opportunities I know it's better to gain from others experience than it is from your own mistakes. I've seen so much discussed in these forums and honestly, I don't know how to distill it all down to my scenario. So here are are the facts:

- 2022 F350 6.7L SWD King Ranch Tremor (All Stock. 500 miles)
- Front tires: 60 PSI cold Rear tires: 75 PSI cold
- 28' Sundowner Race Series bumper pull trailer: 5800 lbs
- 2020 Tesla Model X: 5300 lbs (no seats)

I haven't modified or added anything so what would you suggest I check or add?

- Add a Equil-I-zer, anti-sway or weight distribution part?
- Specific brand of hitch?
- Any common modifications for Tremors?
- Anything I should remeasure or recheck that I could have over looked?

This Tesla is will probably get a good reaction from people on the internet. You guys are the first to see a glimpse of it haha! This thing is going to be full of coffee and guns soon. It's been a year of fabrication and a steep learning curve about all the sensors in those cars 😊 I have about 3/4" on each side of the wheel wells from tire to tire 😅.

Thanks again for all the help in advance. I'm really excited to be part of this community!!!!

trailer.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

I’m about 300 miles in on my 22 and feel the exact same way. I hear it’s about 500-1000 miles on the tires. But feel a little worried about this issue. Will deff be watching this thread

It's a common issue based on the forum. It's almost always been narrowed down to the tires. Common fixes:
1. Drop the tire pressures. They're at 80psi from the factory, try dropping them to 60psi in the front and 65 in the rear. And feel free to play with the pressures.
2. The tires like to be broken in. People have reported dramatic changes in behavior after putting 1000-2000 miles on the tires, or more.

It's a common issue based on the forum. It's almost always been narrowed down to the tires. Common fixes:
1. Drop the tire pressures. They're at 80psi from the factory, try dropping them to 60psi in the front and 65 in the rear. And feel free to play with the pressures.
2. The tires like to be broken in. People have reported dramatic changes in behavior after putting 1000-2000 miles on the tires, or more.
I really hope that’s it. I’m going to keep everything stock for the first 1000 miles hoping it settles.

The dreaded death wobble as they call it. I agree as a technician tires make up a lot of it. I see a fair amount of super duties come in with front end issues wouldn't be a bad idea to check all that out and go from there

I really hope that’s it. I’m going to keep everything stock for the first 1000 miles hoping it settles.
I wouldn't worry about dropping the tire pressure. The tires are pretty significantly overrated when it comes to weight capacity - 4080 pounds per tire, compared with 3500 pounds per wheel.

Here's a tire pressure chart showing the tire weight capacity at different pressures: https://tirepressure.com/lt285-75r18-tire-pressure

Even dropping down to 70 PSI should help. And give you a smoother ride as a bonus!

I wouldn't worry about dropping the tire pressure. The tires are pretty significantly overrated when it comes to weight capacity - 4080 pounds per tire, compared with 3500 pounds per wheel.

Here's a tire pressure chart showing the tire weight capacity at different pressures: https://tirepressure.com/lt285-75r18-tire-pressure

Even dropping down to 70 PSI should help. And give you a smoother ride as a bonus!
Thanks I will try

The dreaded death wobble as they call it. I agree as a technician tires make up a lot of it. I see a fair amount of super duties come in with front end issues wouldn't be a bad idea to check all that out and go from there
Yes I may have to. I’m hoping the tires just need a little wear

I don’t think this is what most are referring to when they mention death wobble? I hear death wobble I think violent, can’t hold the steering wheel, caused by wear in front end components, not a brand new truck with 500 miles on it.

From everything I’ve read on this forum I was headed down the same path as CCW, new tires are the cause - need some wear/break-in time.

Can’t speak from personal experience, mines not a Tremor (2021 F350 6.7 SRW CCLB), so my stock tires are not the same.

I don’t think this is what most are referring to when they mention death wobble? I hear death wobble I think violent, can’t hold the steering wheel, caused by wear in front end components, not a brand new truck with 500 miles on it.

From everything I’ve read on this forum I was headed down the same path as CCW, new tires are the cause - need some wear/break-in time.

Can’t speak from personal experience, mines not a Tremor (2021 F350 6.7 SRW CCLB), so my stock tires are not the same.

Our 2017 F350 experienced the "death wobble" with a few different employees driving it. Ford had a recall or repaired a handful of things on the front end. I personally never experienced it in that truck. I will 110% lower my tire pressure and put some miles on it over the next week or so before my cross country trip. It was such a different experience from anything I've ever had towing before. It was without question unsafe. As soon as I got back I started Googling the topic which led me here. Had some others not been down this path before, I'd probably be looking to get rid of the truck. There's a lot of construction and concrete barriers on our interstate system here and I've never questioned my driving or towing abilities before.

I really appreciate the tire pressure and break in feedback. I'm going to give it a go 🤘

The large sidewall on 35" tires contributes a lot to this. Get some wear on the tires and replace the stock steering damper and you'll be golden.

I have no doubt the people and trucks this affects is real but it must only affect a certain number of trucks. I’d find it interesting for someone that has a truck that has bad sway to drive one like mine that doesn’t and flip that for me to drive one with bad sway to see a direct comparison. If there is truly a big difference then it’d be time to start comparing steering link specs and such.

I’ve seen the sway of the tremor mentioned a lot on this forum. The dealer I bought my 2021 f250 7.3 tremor from is 3 hrs away. I had a couple sways in the first 50 miles. My truck had 3.1 miles on it when I got it. I haven’t had any sway since. You can drive my truck down the road with 1 finger and not have any issue. I pulled a 24’ gooseneck deck over 140 miles so far half of that empty the other half around 10k lbs and it handled every bit as well as the 6.7 CTD 2500 it replaced. I’ve driven a few million miles in 3/4 and up trucks and feel like this truck is as stable as any of the others I’ve had.

I started out with the road wonder and sway. It was disconcerting. The addition of the Fox ATS and a few miles on the tires and it drives perfectly fine now.

Let it break in.

My Tremor swayed worse than any other truck I’ve ever towed with at 500 miles.

At 5000 miles it feels pretty confident when towing.

I’ll still add a rear sway bar at some point…

I agree with others - it just needs some miles on it and it will get better. wide tires with large sidewalls will drift at first and get better as they wear in. what you’re experiencing is far from death wobble. if you’re consistently towing heavy loads a steering stabilizer isn’t a bad idea, but when you’re using a bumper pull trailer you have to keep in mind that by putting all that tongue weight at the very back of the truck, you’re making the front axle considerably lighter and that will definitely contribute to the floating or drifting feeling you’re getting. fifth wheel trailers will put some weight on the front axle as well which makes them a much more stable means of towing.

also - this may be a long shot but I don’t know squat about Teslas other than they seem to be powered by electricity and witchcraft, or something along those lines. see if you can figure out the front/rear weight distribution of that car, if it’s heavy to the rear then back it into the trailer with the weight mostly forward of the trailer axles and that will help tremendously. if the bulk of the weight you’re pulling is behind the trailer axles, it will actually be pulling up on the hitch taking away weight and traction from the towing vehicle and therefore also taking away stability and control. like I said, probably a long shot but if that car is packed full of batteries that are all in the rear then it will definitely be a factor.

I know this conversation may have been covered to exhaustion so my sincerest apologies if it has been to the point of nauseam for you. Having read a lot of the threads here I see that most circumstances are situation dependent. So I thought I would post my situation and questions for those of you with more experience.

About me: I have a coffee company and make videos on the internet to include a lot of fun vehicle builds. Since 1998 I've had 1 F150 Super Cab, 2 F150 Crew Cabs and 2 Raptors. I've towed and hauled a lot but over the last couple years been using my company's 2017 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD to do most of the hauling. I love it. It's had a lot of modifications from lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, B&W, train horn etc. I have a Sundowner 28' Race Series bumper pull trailer that I towed empty from San Antonio to Colorado Springs and picked up a Tesla Model X. I hauled it from CO to UT to film and back to TX with absolutely ZERO issue. I couldn't believe it. I drove 80 mph at times on the highway with no drifting or sway. I loved it so much I said screw it and ordered a 2022 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD King Ranch Tremor and it came in this week! I have about 500 miles on it and feel like there is a substantial amount of "float" even without a trailer. I feel there is a lot of play in steering and drift in driving. I hooked up the same trailer and loaded the same car and drove from Austin to San Antonio and was white knuckling the whole way. Going over 65mph was not going to happen. Every time a larger vehicle passed, let alone a semi or box truck, the trailer and truck swayed and drifted hard. I was constantly having to work the trailer brake and I quite literally never used it once on the other truck.

I come to you all with my hat in my hand and am the first to admit my ignorance. With a lot of learning opportunities I know it's better to gain from others experience than it is from your own mistakes. I've seen so much discussed in these forums and honestly, I don't know how to distill it all down to my scenario. So here are are the facts:

- 2022 F350 6.7L SWD King Ranch Tremor (All Stock. 500 miles)
- Front tires: 60 PSI cold Rear tires: 75 PSI cold
- 28' Sundowner Race Series bumper pull trailer: 5800 lbs
- 2020 Tesla Model X: 5300 lbs (no seats)

I haven't modified or added anything so what would you suggest I check or add?

- Add a Equil-I-zer, anti-sway or weight distribution part?
- Specific brand of hitch?
- Any common modifications for Tremors?
- Anything I should remeasure or recheck that I could have over looked?

This Tesla is will probably get a good reaction from people on the internet. You guys are the first to see a glimpse of it haha! This thing is going to be full of coffee and guns soon. It's been a year of fabrication and a steep learning curve about all the sensors in those cars 😊 I have about 3/4" on each side of the wheel wells from tire to tire 😅.

Thanks again for all the help in advance. I'm really excited to be part of this community!!!!

View attachment 30848

View attachment 30847

Hey TX35067

I previously owned a new 2021 F-250 Lariat FX4 all stock. W/ 20” wheels and I think the factory Michelin’s or whatever they came with.

I put about 6K miles on it and the WHOLE time I had the exact same issue of float or play in steering and drift in driving.

adjusted the tire pressures to lower settings as well after 1 or 2k miles. It NEVER “broke in” or got better.

Oops , new to this as well….did not have
I know this conversation may have been covered to exhaustion so my sincerest apologies if it has been to the

About me: I have a coffee company and make videos on the internet to include a lot of fun vehicle builds. Since 1998 I've had 1 F150 Super Cab, 2 F150 Crew Cabs and 2 Raptors. I've towed and hauled a lot but over the last couple years been using my company's 2017 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD to do most of the hauling. I love it. It's had a lot of modifications from lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, B&W, train horn etc. I have a Sundowner 28' Race Series bumper pull trailer that I towed empty from San Antonio to Colorado Springs and picked up a Tesla Model X. I hauled it from CO to UT to film and back to TX with absolutely ZERO issue. I couldn't believe it. I drove 80 mph at times on the highway with no drifting or sway. I loved it so much I said screw it and ordered a 2022 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD King Ranch Tremor and it came in this week! I have about 500 miles on it and feel like there is a substantial amount of "float" even without a trailer. I feel there is a lot of play in steering and drift in driving. I hooked up the same trailer and loaded adaptive steering option either for the record.
Did not have the Adaptive Steering option either . Anyways was not happy with my overall purchase and selections and the way things were going was able to sell it back to a dealership and make my money back including taxes. Now waiting patiently for a 22 Tremor and can’t wait. I’ll be able to modify my suspension as needed this time and also go after any steering issues if they come up on the Tremor.

Back