2022 F350 Tremor Drift and Sway Issues

Tx-Tremor6.7

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor 6.7L Lariat Ultimate / Lariat Black
Current Ride #2
2018 Shelby GT350 Leadfoot w/ Black Stripes
I had mine aligned at the shop who did my Carli install and 37” Ridge Grapplers. It drives beautifully when empty or towing my 10K plus TT. The alignment was not cheap, but they know exactly what they are doing when it comes to super duties, so it was well worth the cost.

T2E2

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Military
Army Veteran
Current Ride
Prius....no just kidding...
I know this conversation may have been covered to exhaustion so my sincerest apologies if it has been to the point of nauseam for you. Having read a lot of the threads here I see that most circumstances are situation dependent. So I thought I would post my situation and questions for those of you with more experience.

About me: I have a coffee company and make videos on the internet to include a lot of fun vehicle builds. Since 1998 I've had 1 F150 Super Cab, 2 F150 Crew Cabs and 2 Raptors. I've towed and hauled a lot but over the last couple years been using my company's 2017 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD to do most of the hauling. I love it. It's had a lot of modifications from lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, B&W, train horn etc. I have a Sundowner 28' Race Series bumper pull trailer that I towed empty from San Antonio to Colorado Springs and picked up a Tesla Model X. I hauled it from CO to UT to film and back to TX with absolutely ZERO issue. I couldn't believe it. I drove 80 mph at times on the highway with no drifting or sway. I loved it so much I said screw it and ordered a 2022 F350 6.7L Super Crew SWD King Ranch Tremor and it came in this week! I have about 500 miles on it and feel like there is a substantial amount of "float" even without a trailer. I feel there is a lot of play in steering and drift in driving. I hooked up the same trailer and loaded the same car and drove from Austin to San Antonio and was white knuckling the whole way. Going over 65mph was not going to happen. Every time a larger vehicle passed, let alone a semi or box truck, the trailer and truck swayed and drifted hard. I was constantly having to work the trailer brake and I quite literally never used it once on the other truck.

I come to you all with my hat in my hand and am the first to admit my ignorance. With a lot of learning opportunities I know it's better to gain from others experience than it is from your own mistakes. I've seen so much discussed in these forums and honestly, I don't know how to distill it all down to my scenario. So here are are the facts:

- 2022 F350 6.7L SWD King Ranch Tremor (All Stock. 500 miles)
- Front tires: 60 PSI cold Rear tires: 75 PSI cold
- 28' Sundowner Race Series bumper pull trailer: 5800 lbs
- 2020 Tesla Model X: 5300 lbs (no seats)

I haven't modified or added anything so what would you suggest I check or add?

- Add a Equil-I-zer, anti-sway or weight distribution part?
- Specific brand of hitch?
- Any common modifications for Tremors?
- Anything I should remeasure or recheck that I could have over looked?

This Tesla is will probably get a good reaction from people on the internet. You guys are the first to see a glimpse of it haha! This thing is going to be full of coffee and guns soon. It's been a year of fabrication and a steep learning curve about all the sensors in those cars 😊 I have about 3/4" on each side of the wheel wells from tire to tire 😅.

Thanks again for all the help in advance. I'm really excited to be part of this community!!!!

View attachment 30848

View attachment 30847
I'm waiting on my 22 F-350 Plat Tremor... I actually had a GMC salesman say something in passing about the Ford Death Wobble but it really didn't register with me. Just thought he was trashing the Ford because he sold GMC's. This is the first legit mention of it and frankly, it's concerning. Mine is schedule to be built the week of 5/23. I just looked it up and apparently there's a CALS filed back in 2019 by Ford owners that have experienced this. Sorry if this is redundant info but this is all new to me. I'll look further through the site here and do some research outside as well. Thank you for the post and the heads up!

ccw

Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
I'm waiting on my 22 F-350 Plat Tremor... I actually had a GMC salesman say something in passing about the Ford Death Wobble but it really didn't register with me. Just thought he was trashing the Ford because he sold GMC's. This is the first legit mention of it and frankly, it's concerning. Mine is schedule to be built the week of 5/23. I just looked it up and apparently there's a CALS filed back in 2019 by Ford owners that have experienced this. Sorry if this is redundant info but this is all new to me. I'll look further through the site here and do some research outside as well. Thank you for the post and the heads up!
Something to note is that the drift and sway that has come up relatively regularly here on the forum (and at the start of this thread) is distinct from "death wobble". The drift and sway is where folks are regularly having to correct the truck's steering, adding additional input when they shouldn't have to.

Death wobble is violent. The wheel starts going back and forth uncontrollably until speed is reduced.

Drift and sway is not good, obviously, and introduces its own dangers; but death wobble is much more dangerous.

The cause of death wobble is also well understood: one or more loose steering components in a solid front axle vehicle (the more loose components, the more likely death wobble is). All vehicles with a solid front axle are susceptible to death wobble if they are driven with loose steering components. The reason the components are loose could be poor installation or, much more commonly, worn out components.

The way to avoid death wobble: regularly inspect your steering components for wear and replace them as needed.

Here's a video demonstrating death wobble:

Gingersnap155

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Something to note is that the drift and sway that has come up relatively regularly here on the forum (and at the start of this thread) is distinct from "death wobble". The drift and sway is where folks are regularly having to correct the truck's steering, adding additional input when they shouldn't have to.

Death wobble is violent. The wheel starts going back and forth uncontrollably until speed is reduced.

Drift and sway is not good, obviously, and introduces its own dangers; but death wobble is much more dangerous.

The cause of death wobble is also well understood: one or more loose steering components in a solid front axle vehicle (the more loose components, the more likely death wobble is). All vehicles with a solid front axle are susceptible to death wobble if they are driven with loose steering components. The reason the components are loose could be poor installation or, much more commonly, worn out components.

The way to avoid death wobble: regularly inspect your steering components for wear and replace them as needed.

to add: death wobble can Also be caused by a BAD alignment. I’ve had it happen on my own jeeps. All new joints and components with measurements from the spec sheet death wobble still happens. I adjusted caster and toe and all went away drove perfect.

Start with checking components for wear or being loose, then move to alignment. Those steps 99.9% of the time fix it.

gommer

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Lariat Tremor 6.7
Current Ride #2
2002 Jeep TJ

It's also worth pointing out that death wobble can happen on any solid axle vehicle.

My best advice to anyone who bought a new truck, whether you have issues or not, is to take your truck into a shop that specializes in alignments and get it taken care of up front. I have done this with literally every vehicle I've bought, ever.

Except my Jeep. We aligned it with two bottles of beer and a tape measurer.

gommer

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Lariat Tremor 6.7
Current Ride #2
2002 Jeep TJ
Also, anyone thinking GM is the better way to go...

I can't imagine the level of pissed those people have got to be -- especially in today's market. Wow.

Ram isn't much better, after they had thousands of trucks grenade CP4's while millions of Ford's are running them just fine. Granted, the CP4 is an imperfect design -- Ford has done it with very little problem and Ram did it and everything went to hell.

Worried about death wobble? Yeah, Ram's fix to failing drag links was to weld them. WTF! I think they have a part to replace it now but for like a year or two they were just telling dealers to weld it up. Me... thinking about the weld qualities that would come out of a dealer... *shudder*

Imagine getting that death wobble then losing the ability to steer. lol

Ok, I'll stop now. But, seriously, coming onto a forum and seeing a problem and thinking you are going to have it is like going to webmd because you have the cramps only to discover you have 7 different kinds of cancer and died 3 months ago.

T2E2

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Military
Army Veteran
Current Ride
Prius....no just kidding...

That's a crazy video! I also looked up a bunch of stuff and videos. Seems that it was all well covered here on the forum...bushings, steering components, etc... Disappointing at best if it happens to a new vehicle but understandable w/ the older solid axles from what I see. And also, from talking to some other folks, including a Ford mechanic who fixes this stuff all the time, it's an easy fix. Annoying but an easy fix. And if it does happen, it just may get me the "go ahead" on upgrading some suspension parts, just like I'd like to do anyway. Guess we'll see over time. Thanks for the info and feedback!

• Winner
Reactions: ccw

Cmarley1979

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Military
Navy
Current Ride
2021 F350 Lariat Tremor
So, I took it back to the dealer yesterday, told them it drove like a 60's school bus, 1/8 dead spot in the steering, drifted all over the place, etc. Pitman arm and drag link were loose, they removed and retorqued the pitman arm nut and all the play in the steering wheel is gone, drives like a dream now. Had to perform the steering wheel re centering procedure 3 times as well. since there was soo much play in the steering wheel before, it was causing the steering wheel position indicator to have a fault, which locks out the active track system as well. I was having an active track system fault about 50% of the time. now that is all cleared up as well.

Tx-Tremor6.7

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor 6.7L Lariat Ultimate / Lariat Black
Current Ride #2
2018 Shelby GT350 Leadfoot w/ Black Stripes
So, I took it back to the dealer yesterday, told them it drove like a 60's school bus, 1/8 dead spot in the steering, drifted all over the place, etc. Pitman arm and drag link were loose, they removed and retorqued the pitman arm nut and all the play in the steering wheel is gone, drives like a dream now. Had to perform the steering wheel re centering procedure 3 times as well. since there was soo much play in the steering wheel before, it was causing the steering wheel position indicator to have a fault, which locks out the active track system as well. I was having an active track system fault about 50% of the time. now that is all cleared up as well.
They did not care about the 4” BDS lift and oversized tires?

JCKustoms

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘22 F250 Platinum Tremor 6.7
Current Ride #2
2021 GT4 - '71 F100 SWB
Wow! I’m amazed they didn’t catch the loose parts in their used car inspection process. Or maybe it was not torqued properly and finally started working it’s way loose since you bought it.

This is exactly why ALL suspension companies state you must re-torque fasteners after 500 miles of install, and X amount of miles after.

Glad it got fixed before anything catastrophic happened!

I Sure hope they didn’t charge you anything for this..??

Kellerp

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 f350 Lariat tremor
My 22 did the same thing dropped tire psi to 65 on 4 corners and it mostly went away

Latest Discussions

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge