2021 Ford Raptor

oops

Tremor Aficionado
Reaction Points
I watched this video on the new Raptor the other day and was really impressed, then stopped at a dealer to check out one on the lot (wasn't able to drive it.)

WOW 🤩 The fit and finish on this thing makes it feel like it's 20 years newer and $100k pricier than my Tremor.

Made me wonder if I should be looking at a Raptor for fun and adventure, and just get an XL Super Duty for a tow pig. (Note I'm not an RV guy so towing in luxury isn't a real priority.)

For you guys that came from Raptors (I've never looked at them seriously before), why did you decide to go with the Tremor?

Had a Gen I Raptor. Have a TRX now. The Raptor and the TRX (TRX is a completely different animal by far) are not work trucks. Went back to oil burners because I need a work truck for the ranch that will be after just a few mods will be ready to do everything including occasional hauling, pulling and towing.

Gen 2 Raptor, trading it for a Super Duty. I need something that doesn’t mind idling for long periods of time at work and can tow a camper from job site to job site. The Raptors are awesome, but when I build a toy it will be a totaled Raptor or a center mounted linked 2wd.

I am selling my driveway and we are living in the Fifth wheel. It was either living in a tin can and destroy my dream truck or sell it and let someone enjoy it while I buy the toned down version that can tow.

As long as your fun and adventure requires less payload than a minivan, then I think your plan sounds solid. :D

My understanding is that Raptors are rated for less than 1000 pounds of payload capacity, so that will be chewed up pretty quickly by almost anything.

As long as your fun and adventure requires less payload than a minivan, then I think your plan sounds solid. :D

My understanding is that Raptors are rated for less than 1000 pounds of payload capacity, so that will be chewed up pretty quickly by almost anything.

I don’t overland, put a camper in my bed, or travel with an RV.

But it is nice having the option to… 😅

Damn trade-offs!

Going to hold on to the hope that the 2023 Tremor will get the modernizations of the Raptor.

2023 Tremor will get the modernizations of the Raptor.
Hope it's available with an option to delete the all digital cluster. If I want the flat fold center console hamburger holder (and Pro Power onboard/payload deflection scales), that doesn't mean I want the all digital cluster snafu.

Hope it's available with an option to delete the all digital cluster. If I want the flat fold center console hamburger holder (and Pro Power onboard/payload deflection scales), that doesn't mean I want the all digital cluster snafu.

Ah, I really like the digital cluster.

I don’t like our hybrid setup.

All analog would have been preferable IMO.

I had a 2010 raptor SCAB. Sold it because I had a baby on the way. Bought a tremor because I wanted something different but also with a full size back seat.

I know myself pretty well. The raptor had a bunch of aftermarket suspension on it and it was plenty fast off road. Enough to get me into trouble a few times and I thought if I got another one I’d do the same suspension work to it and probably get myself into more trouble with a more capable truck.. and I wanted to own a diesel at least once in my life.

The tremor offered the off-road capability with room for a growing family. It also offered the capability to tow anything/toy I might buy in the future so it was an easy choice.

Loving my Tremor, but I may trade it if the rumored Raptor R does end up as a V8.
I am not a fan of twin turbocharged V6 engines. Yes...great power and good fuel economy compared to 'most' N/A V8 engines. However, there have been too many reliability and durability issues and problems with the Direct Injection turbocharged applications. Furthermore, the newer technology of combining Port Injection (to reduce / eliminate carbon deposits on the back side of intake valves) with Direct Injection just adds more components and parts for inevitable failure.

A Ford F150 5.0L V8 with Super 8.8 inch rear axle assembly can be custom built by Pax Power into a full blown "Raptor Style" truck with 770 HP including all of the OEM Raptor suspension and OEM Raptor body parts.....OR .....built with only the OEM Raptor suspension and Bushwacker fender flares. The later being a bona fide OEM F150 Raptor challenger incognito.

According to Ben at Pax Power, the only OEM F150 Raptor component not included in the build is the Ford 9.75 inch rear axle assembly. However, he said they could acquire an OEM Raptor (width) 9.75 and include it in the build. The other option available on either of the two builds is the aftermarket ICON Stage 4 suspension system specifically designed for the F150 Raptor. In 2019, Ben told me their cost on either the OEM Raptor suspension OR the ICON Stage 4 was around $7500.00...and the body parts were the expensive components of the build.

IMO...the F150 5.0L V8 INCOGNITO version with 9.75 inch rear axle assembly would be a absolute blast......run circles around an OEM F150 Raptor on pavement and off-road.

F150 V8 Raptor Style --------> https://www.paxpower.com/raptor/

F150 V8 Incognito Style -----> https://www.paxpower.com/f150/

ICON Stage 4 Suspension --->

I am not a fan of twin turbocharged V6 engines. Yes...great power and good fuel economy compared to 'most' N/A V8 engines. However, there have been too many reliability and durability issues and problems with the Direct Injection turbocharged applications. Furthermore, the newer technology of combining Port Injection (to reduce / eliminate carbon deposits on the back side of intake valves) with Direct Injection just adds more components and parts for inevitable failure.

A Ford F150 5.0L V8 with Super 8.8 inch rear axle assembly can be custom built by Pax Power into a full blown "Raptor Style" truck with 770 HP including all of the OEM Raptor suspension and OEM Raptor body parts.....OR .....built with only the OEM Raptor suspension and Bushwacker fender flares. The later being a bona fide OEM F150 Raptor challenger incognito.

According to Ben at Pax Power, the only OEM F150 Raptor component not included in the build is the Ford 9.75 inch rear axle assembly. However, he said they could acquire an OEM Raptor (width) 9.75 and include it in the build. The other option available on either of the two builds is the aftermarket ICON Stage 4 suspension system specifically designed for the F150 Raptor. In 2019, Ben told me their cost on either the OEM Raptor suspension OR the ICON Stage 4 was around $7500.00...and the body parts were the expensive components of the build.

IMO...the F150 5.0L V8 INCOGNITO version with 9.75 inch rear axle assembly would be a absolute blast......run circles around an OEM F150 Raptor on pavement and off-road.

F150 V8 Raptor Style --------> https://www.paxpower.com/raptor/

F150 V8 Incognito Style -----> https://www.paxpower.com/f150/

ICON Stage 4 Suspension --->

Wow, those F150's are really nicely done. I too was looking at the Raptor, but that short bed is pretty much worthless for my line of work. Plus I do like the towing ability of the F250.

I can’t get over the sound of a v6. I’m fine with a straight 6 but not v6. Make the exhaust equal length and all that and it will still sound like a Honda. Would have loved to see a bara in a raptor.
The FPV Barra was especially sweet...

People I have talked to say a Carli pintop setup the best of both worlds. I plan on getting a pintop kit then transferring it to 2023 f250 when the time comes. (If nothing major change suspension wise)

I had a 2014 raptor with SVC Fox 3.0s DSC QAB, Deavers, adjustable bumpstops. I actually started looking for gen1 6.2 scab the other day for a fun truck.

Wow, those F150's are really nicely done. I too was looking at the Raptor, but that short bed is pretty much worthless for my line of work. Plus I do like the towing ability of the F250.
Yes they are......and the best part is, one of these trucks.....a used F150 5.0L V8 in excellent condition could be built for much less $$,$$$.$$ than buying a new OEM F150 Raptor.

Moreover, could you imagine the look on the face of the driver / owner of an OEM F150 Raptor getting surprisingly embarrassed on pavement or off-road? It would be both hilarious and somewhat priceless to see it.

EDIT: The Roush lighted fender flares would add a custom touch to the Pax Power built F150 5.0L V8 truck. The front fender flare has one small amber light and the rear fender flare has one small red light.

If I had such a truck, think I would have to give it a special Alpha / Numeric Moniker on the rear bedside ----> FXT - Ford Xtreme Truck. I might do that with my Tremor someday since I am not a big fan of the Raptor and Tremor names anyway. Like the trucks......but, prefer alpha / numeric name designations.

Last edited:
Back