modified

Admin
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Diesel Tremor
Current Ride #2
2021 Bronco
Did anyone else consider purchasing the new 2500 AT4? It's a truck I seriously considered at one point, but I just couldn't get past the dated interior.

Last edited:
I had the same thought, especially with RAM and their big screen, might as well get a great deal on the now last generation 2019 Ford super duty. I'm waiting for the tremor to hit the lots and see what people are really thinking. It will be interesting to see how Ford balances highway driving with off road capabilities.

I have owned numerous brands and have no entrenched brand focus but for this purchase I found these points for comparison interesting.

I had a quick peek at the AT4 on the US website. The AT4 1/2 ton looks not too bad in the carbon pro configuration but, IMO, the HD AT4 is fugly. GM has had a recent history of what I call sticker wannabes with little real meat under the cellophane (front drive Impala SS anyone?:rolleyes:).
Altho I have heard the 6.2L and 6.6L are good engines the increased spec of the Ford Godzilla and being a new design was an enticement for me.
The use of an automatic mechanical rear locker in the AT4 is lame vs the electric Rr Locker in the Tremor.
Tremor also has an automatic mechanical locker in the front (reasonable use of it here and definitely helpful) and the GM nada.
FORD also includes the elevated axle vents for diff venting, important when doing water crossings.
Duratrac tires are an option on the GM and standard on the Tremor package.
Deal breaker is the forced buckets with huge barca lounger console on GM vs the leather bench/column shift in my Lariat Tremor.

That being said I was slightly surprised to see the AT4 available with both the long box and short box in both 1/2 and 3/4, 1 ton crew cabs, which is not the case with the Tremor. Could be a deal breaker for those needing a longer bed and doing "soft" roading instead of off roading.

I d really like the towing camera options that GM offers and would like to see those on other brands.

I’ve always loved the idea of the Duramax-Allison combo, but it’s now Duramax “branded” and that gives me pause.

GM has always had lower towing and payload numbers with the IFS.

They also seem to have gone off rails with the appearance this time. The only two I would even consider looks wise are the High Country and the Denali.

The mirrors...... ?

Not for me this time.

I'm on the fence right now between a diesel Ford F250 Tremor and diesel GMC AT4 2500. I've been reading this forum non stop over the last month and wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experience. Price isn't an issue as both trucks are about the same price $75,000.

Has anyone driven the AT4 2500 before buying the Tremor?
How harsh is the ride?
How's the steering?
Noticeable difference in power?
Brakes?

Coming from a GM it was a great truck but it looks exactly the same inside as my 2015 LTZ. The Chevy HD AT model is more of a badging thing. What do they really give you???? I am sure its good and will get the work done. I enjoy my Tremor, it is more fun to drive, the Power Stroke is so much better than my old Dmax, I have said before ( a lot ) the Aluminum body panels in my region with all the salt and corrosive anti ice materials dumped on the road in the winter are the deciding factor. Our old cars with aluminum body panels look brand new after 250,000 miles and over ten years and most cars look like a rust bucket after 5 years. No rust if you get paint chips either.

I’ve heard good things about GM but I couldn’t get past the looks. The square wheel wells, that straight wall for a grill and the dash looks like it’s giving birth to a radio. Just not for me.

First off, I pretty much like all trucks. The GM AT4 is sweet. I've never driven one. But, last summer I gave the AT4 and the PowerWagon a hard look before pulling the trigger on the Tremor. I spend quite a few weekends in Kellog, Idaho, so I would check out all the AT4s and PowerWagons at Dave Smith motors. I'd sit in them and basically just looked at them all summer. One weekend I almost bought an AT4 but I couldn't get past the mirrors. I knew it would bug me forever. The AT4 is definitely a bit more stylish, both on the outside and the inside. The Tremor is more off-road focused than the AT4 and I think the ride will reflect that between the two. If you haven't done so already, I would watch this video:

I gave the new AT4 a serious look before ordering the Tremor. I have owned a 2011 F-250 KR 6.7 and a 2014 F-350 Platinum DRW and have not had stellar dealer interactions with my near by dealer. Have a GMC dealer super close to my house.

I was hoping with the new design the interior would get more rugged looking. The interior looks just like my in-laws mid size Acadia. I want my truck to look like a truck inside as well as outside and I think GMC is missing the mark at least in my eyes in their interior design.

Pretty sure the AT4 will not be as capable off road when compared to a Tremor. I am satisfied with my choice. Now if I could just get my Tremor built and shipped to me.

My biggest gripe with the AT4 was the mandatory black interior, If given a choice I do not choose black interiors, yes.... I am that one weird guy that does not prefer black LOL. I came from a 2014 silverado so the interior was not impressive to me at all, it was almost like buying a brand new 2014 for a lot of money. I get the exterior would be different but I actually see the interior more than I see the exterior.

My biggest gripe with the AT4 was the mandatory black interior, If given a choice I do not choose black interiors, yes.... I am that one weird guy that does not prefer black LOL. I came from a 2014 silverado so the interior was not impressive to me at all, it was almost like buying a brand new 2014 for a lot of money. I get the exterior would be different but I actually see the interior more than I see the exterior.
Not weird, I don't like the black either. Wife thinks im nuts, I would pick almost anything over black.

Same boat here though I’m either going Tremor or Denali as the orange seat inserts are a horrible clash with the touted red tow hooks and badging on the AT4. Absolutely awful design to me. The AT4 drove more smooth to me and the steering felt better. Been a few months so I’ll be going back to drive them both again. The Ford front end with the 6.7 feels more firm and has a slight bounce to it. I’m here on the forum to find out why the steering felt like it was wandering and unresponsive. The steering provided a scary drive at 75mph feeling almost like under inflated tires. I had to check the TPMS to make sure they weren’t.

Same boat here though I’m either going Tremor or Denali as the orange seat inserts are a horrible clash with the touted red tow hooks and badging on the AT4. Absolutely awful design to me. The AT4 drove more smooth to me and the steering felt better. Been a few months so I’ll be going back to drive them both again. The Ford front end with the 6.7 feels more firm and has a slight bounce to it. I’m here on the forum to find out why the steering felt like it was wandering and unresponsive. The steering provided a scary drive at 75mph feeling almost like under inflated tires. I had to check the TPMS to make sure they weren’t.

Go with the GM. Tremor is riddled with issues. See my thread about mine.

If that’s the case why have I not had any issues whatsoever with mine? Given the mechanical complexity of modern vehicles you would have to be naive to think that there is a manufacturer today that doesn’t have problems when updating and upgrading their product. Ok go ahead an insert your “I’ve had a Toyota for 100 years and only changed the oil twice and it’s still running” comment. That’s because Toyota is still using parts developed 2 decades ago. Yes it sucks that there are occasional issues with vehicles especially with model updates. But you only hear from the squeaky wheels. Ford builds a quarter of a million of these trucks every year. There are bound to be issues in some of them. I would say that 99.99% are trouble free.

Hhhhmmm, Zero issues with mine so far. Love it. That being said my last truck (A Chevy) had issues from day one, went through 2 transfer cases and three transmissions in 180k miles, multiple electrical issues, and a constant limp mode issue if I didn't clean the inside of the throttle body every 10k miles.

Any one of these new trucks can have issues.

I sort of did. only as a comparison. I saw no extra value in the gmc. every chevy i have ever owned has been a bigger headache than the last. by that, i mean parts randomly falling off.

my ford blew hoses, my chevys blew engines.

Back