2020 F250 Tremor “Transmission Problems" Gen1/Gen2?

Could everyone that has had the transmission issue share the build date of there truck? This would help to figure out if this is an issue with a batch of trucks or if its a bigger issue.
B pillar label says 9/20

Could everyone that has had the transmission issue share the build date of there truck? This would help to figure out if this is an issue with a batch of trucks or if its a bigger issue.
9/20

9/20 for me as well

Our build dates obviously way past the Jan/Feb dates on that recall notice someone posted:rolleyes: My bet is there will be more
At least now, others will know about the issue, and know it's an easy fix. Mine seems to be running good now.

Build date 09/08/20.
Transmission has noise. Dealer states torque converter on backorder till next May. Ford authorized a replacement transmission that is also on backorder. Was told new modifications are being made for a 3rd gen

Truck has also been in shop 3 different occasions with truck pulling to the right sharply and steering wheel off center. Alignment was off. They replaced casters and realigned to no avail truck still as it was beforehand. Alignment now shows good. Very frustrating.

Build date 09/08/20.
Transmission has noise. Dealer states torque converter on backorder till next May. Ford authorized a replacement transmission that is also on backorder. Was told new modifications are being made for a 3rd gen
Hmmm:mad:

Build date 09/08/20.
That blows...A 3rd gen tranny, already????

Build date 09/08/20.
That is strange. I was able to get mine fixed and the torque converter shipped and received in less than a week. I dropped it on a Wednesday, called the dealer on Friday and they had already received the part. I have had no issues with the truck since the repair. I got the truck back on Oct 19. I don't know why there would be a 3rd gen, if the repair was a relatively easy fix.

That is strange. I was able to get mine fixed and the torque converter shipped and received in less than a week. I dropped it on a Wednesday, called the dealer on Friday and they had already received the part. I have had no issues with the truck since the repair. I got the truck back on Oct 19. I don't know why there would be a 3rd gen, if the repair was a relatively easy fix.
IDK brother. That’s what is being told to me by my dealer. This is coming from our regional manager from FORD. Again we were told that the converter is on back order until May 2021. Ford approved a new transmission which I prefer anyway. That is on back order as well. I was told to drive the truck as is until replacement transmission is delivered. I guess a lot can happen in the couple of weeks since yours was repaired.

IDK brother. That’s what is being told to me by my dealer. This is coming from our regional manager from FORD. Again we were told that the converter is on back order until May 2021. Ford approved a new transmission which I prefer anyway. That is on back order as well. I was told to drive the truck as is until replacement transmission is delivered. I guess a lot can happen in the couple of weeks since yours was repaired.
I was hoping that my transmission would be a full replacement too, but who knows. Everything seems good on the truck. I have the warranty, so at least if it craps the bed, I can still get fixed.

I've contacted my dealer and they've just been busy. Said they would call Ford. I haven't pressed them hard on this issue-yet. They did hear the noise and the mechanics first words were flex plate. So torque converter I guess. I'll be pressing them harder. It drives fine but I'm still worried about long term

Thanks for the input. I was thinking it would be different than my F150, but it just didn't feel right. I wonder if this is a similar issue, just didn't cause the leak. Sounds like something is scraping. Dealership said everything else in the transmission looked good. No metal shavings and fluid was good. Keeping my fingers crossed. I was hoping they might just replace the entire unit, but guess not. I will definitely keep everyone appraised of the situation.
My 3.5 Eco 2018 F-150 that had the (smaller) variant of the 10speed. Great truck power handling etc! However, from early on - but very intermittently there was an issue - at first it sounded like a preignition misfire but then mostly mimicked loose fluttering heat shielding in the exhaust system (the later may be a sound only those who live in heavy road salt areas know ?). Later it was occurring 1800-2100 rpm regardless of gear or speed and it never threw a code. Every time I went to dealership (with ever more detail and even recorded audio) - they found nothing or said they flashed the ECM. Finally it was happening more regularly (6th -10th time driving) and including a muffled thud that ended the flutterring noise. I’m virtually certain it was a torque converter lock up issue of some type.

I’m an aviation tech and I know how hard it can be to troubleshoot and isolate very intermittent “ghosts in the machine” especially electron gremlins. We have to dig until we get answer(s) but I suspect dealerships have a different matrix. I traded that truck in because at some point the problem they were avoiding would be mine alone. I also strongly suspect the problem was not just my truck. May have just been a crappy dealership but it is a larger one????

Last edited:
My 3.5 Eco 2018 F-150 that had the (smaller) variant of the 10speed. Great truck power handling etc! However, from early on - but very intermittently there was an issue - at first it sounded like a preignition misfire but then mostly mimicked loose fluttering heat shielding in the exhaust system (the later may be a sound only those who live in heavy road salt areas know ?). Later it was occurring 1800-2100 rpm regardless of gear or speed and it never threw a code. Every time I went to dealership (with ever more detail and even recorded audio) - they found nothing or said they flashed the ECM. Finally it was happening more regularly (6th -10th time driving) and including a muffled thud that ended the flutterring noise. I’m virtually certain it was a torque converter lock up issue of some type.

I’m an aviation tech and I know how hard it can be to troubleshoot and isolate very intermittent “ghosts in the machine” especially electron gremlins. We have to dig until we get answer(s) but I suspect dealerships have a different matrix. I traded that truck in because at some point the problem they were avoiding would be mine alone. I also strongly suspect the problem was not just my truck. May have just been a crappy dealership but it is a larger one????

Well, I'm not giving up and have no plans to get rid of my truck. My dealer isn't taking it too seriously I don't think but I will keep exerting pressure. I even asked if they had some other Super Dutys on the lot and they do, and we will be cranking some of those up to see if the noise is there, with the same 10 speed transmission of course. If my dealer can't do anything further then I'll go direct to the Ford site for support, and keep on and on and on...

Well, I'm not giving up and have no plans to get rid of my truck. My dealer isn't taking it too seriously I don't think but I will keep exerting pressure. I even asked if they had some other Super Dutys on the lot and they do, and we will be cranking some of those up to see if the noise is there, with the same 10 speed transmission of course. If my dealer can't do anything further then I'll go direct to the Ford site for support, and keep on and on and on...

I have noticed no similar issue with my Tremor! Knock on Pinocchio....

Suddenly started having transmission issues with my one month old truck today. 950 miles on it and the transmission is intermittently struggling to shift and/or shifting VERY hard going in or out of 5th gear in either direction and sometimes the same thing between 8 and 9. I’m not hearing the same noises described here, and I have the 6.7L ... maybe a different issue altogether, but still very concerning and disheartening.

Back