2020 6.7 Fuel Pump

abill

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Oil Burning 2020 F-250 TREMOR
Current Ride #2
2018 Wrangler JL
There is a bunch of info that could be discussed on this but I am gonna try and keep it simple... Does anyone know if Ford is using the same fuel pump that has caused problems in the past?

If so, has anyone thought about using or used the fuel re-routing kits that are sold? Supposedly they don't eliminate a pump failure but they do keep the metal filings/shavings from entering your fuel system. They
seem pricey for what they are but in the scheme of things would be cheap if they save your engine.

Examples of the kits:

https://ssdiesel.com/6-7l-ford-power-stroke-cp4-fail-safe-kit/

https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-7l-powerstroke-disaster-prevention-kit.html

Watching this one....

A widely debated and argued topic for sure. All the big three have been using the same "problematic" pump over the last few years. I want to say an engineer from Ford indicated the pump has been modified to help with the increased PSI demands.

With that....until there's substantial info collect I'd suggest running a quality fuel additive. That will be the short run answer. If you want to add the by-pass you still have a potential of pump failure.

Purchase fuel from a reliable source, be consistence where you get it from and know the symptoms of a pump failure.

Seems like they have been quiet on this issue.

A widely debated and argued topic for sure. All the big three have been using the same "problematic" pump over the last few years. I want to say an engineer from Ford indicated the pump has been modified to help with the increased PSI demands.

With that....until there's substantial info collect I'd suggest running a quality fuel additive. That will be the short run answer. If you want to add the by-pass you still have a potential of pump failure.

Yes, but the pump failure is not a big issue... the issue is that the current design is such that when a pump failure
happens it takes your motor out with it? :unsure: Such a stupid design, with a "supposed" easy fix that the manufactures
don't seem to care to include to help us out nor themselves.

My buddy had to have his fuel pump replaced in his 15 F250 Diesel. They had to take the entire chassis off the frame to do the work. What an awful design

My buddy had to have his fuel pump replaced in his 15 F250 Diesel. They had to take the entire chassis off the frame to do the work. What an awful design

That's called padding the invoice....guess the techs needed to make a boat payment.

Yes, but the pump failure is not a big issue... the issue is that the current design is such that when a pump failure
happens it takes your motor out with it? :unsure: Such a stupid design, with a "supposed" easy fix that the manufactures
don't seem to care to include to help us out nor themselves.

2020 Fuel pumps are different......apples and oranges.....until we know more of course.

Run a fuel additive....it's easier till we have the correct information about the 2020 HPFP which is a different design.

That's called padding the invoice....guess the techs needed to make a boat payment.

Maybe, I saw the pictures. Apparently the fuel pump was inside the tank.

Got ya. That's the low pressure lift pump. Yes, in the tank. Not sure why they can't drop the tank other than it's heavy and didn't want to drain the tank.

I was thinking the High Pressure Fuel Pump under the hood.

Can't you just replace the FP that are causing the problems? I had a '15 for a couple years and never had a problem with it, not sure if it's something new or something I just got lucky not to experience.

For under the hood HPFP it's not a "new" issue, but one related to people not using quality fuel and an fuel additive.

For the LP fuel pump newer in-tank fuel pumps haven't really been modded by the aftermarket just yet.

For under the hood HPFP it's not a "new" issue, but one related to people not using quality fuel and an fuel additive.

For the LP fuel pump newer in-tank fuel pumps haven't really been modded by the aftermarket just yet.

I never used a fuel additive in my '15. Is that something new and what do you recommend? I didn't realize there was a bad place to buy diesel?

Bad places for fuel can be quite a discussion. Some people will only use high traffic pump locations due to the turn over in fuel thru the tanks. Other people will only use reputable stations.

Bad place can also be your best friend's brother's uncle who has a 1,000 gallon transfer tank beside the barn....Help yourself....UMmmmmm.....no I'll pass thank you very much.

Fuel additive discussions are fixed to the ULSD not having the lubricity properties that people claim to be part of the older style HPFP issues. I haven't learned of the specifics of the newer 2020 HPFP so I'd have to stick to using a fuel additive till more info comes out to digest.

I can only share what I have been running with good results. Howe's Diesel Treat that I can find at WalMart pretty cheap. For an extra boost they have an injector variant as well. I splash the Diesel Treat at every fill up, while I use the injector variant once/twice a month.

Bad places for fuel can be quite a discussion. Some people will only use high traffic pump locations due to the turn over in fuel thru the tanks. Other people will only use reputable stations.

Bad place can also be your best friend's brother's uncle who has a 1,000 gallon transfer tank beside the barn....Help yourself....UMmmmmm.....no I'll pass thank you very much.

Fuel additive discussions are fixed to the ULSD not having the lubricity properties that people claim to be part of the older style HPFP issues. I haven't learned of the specifics of the newer 2020 HPFP so I'd have to stick to using a fuel additive till more info comes out to digest.

I can only share what I have been running with good results. Howe's Diesel Treat that I can find at WalMart pretty cheap. For an extra boost they have an injector variant as well. I splash the Diesel Treat at every fill up, while I use the injector variant once/twice a month.
Thanks, my next question was going to be about what additives people are using. I'll check around for it when I'm home. Hopefully there's more information about the pumps in the coming months then.

2020 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7L Tremor - 7 months old, 7500 miles, just shut down while I'm driving down the road. Won't restart. I have it towed to my local Ford dealer. They've had my truck for nearly four weeks, attempting various fixes as directed by Ford techs. Today, I'm told there are metal shavings in my fuel pump and they're going to have to get approval from Ford to replace the entire fuel delivery system. After being told the problem, I Googled "2020 Ford 6.7L diesel fuel pump failure". Now I'm pissed that the dealer spent 3+ weeks trying other fixes rather than going directly to this issue. So, in short, it seems that there ARE still fuel pump issues.

Got pics of the metal shavings???

Yes sir. Just got confirmation that fuel filter is the Bosch CP4.

Attachments

• Shavings1.JPG
    Shavings1.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 522
  • Shavings2.JPG
    Shavings2.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 519
Purchase fuel from a reliable source, be consistence where you get it from and know the symptoms of a pump failure.

Seems like they have been quiet on this issue.
The symptoms of a pump failure being that the engine abruptly and unexpectedly shuts off while you're drive down the road, forcing you to cross two lanes of heavy traffic on a Friday afternoon at 5:15pm just to get out of the roadway, only to discover that your brand (freakin!) new 2020 F250 won't start? Got it. Check! ;-)

That's awesome it's covered under warranty. No worries.

Latest Discussions

Back