2018 Tundra Plat. w/ 2020 F350 6.7 Plat. Tremor on order (apprehensive...)

1337logan

Tremor Fiend
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Platinum Tremor 6.7
Current Ride #2
22yo girlfriend in college
Hey guys, my name is Logan. I live in Kirkland, WA. I currently have a 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum. It's nice truck and I get compliments on it all the time. But, I want more power, more hauling, etc. for my semi-occasional heavy duty stuff where my Tundra bottoms out.

I'm apprehensive about the tremor...

It isn't necessarily the 100k I'll have in it by the time I do level/wheels/tires, it's the reliability. I've had zero issues with the tundra. It's tough as hell.

I really want the diesel, but the difference in reliability worries me. I pride myself on having a reliable rig.

So, I'm on here trying to get details/info to help decide what I'll do in a month when the truck's ready and, if I keep it, what I'll end up doing to it.

Feel free to ping me, I'd love to talk to someone about this.

Thanks,

Logan

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you are already admitting that you will have 100k in it and its not a money issue then just pay to repair it when/IF it needs it. If a 60k vehicle will not deliver what you want/ask of it, then the longevity is out the window anyways.

Buy the tremor and drive the mess out of it and enjoy it. Is there a chance you will have an issue?... yes, but there is a chance with durability with any vehicle.

Oh, and BTW... I AM a Toyota fan. I have had 3 Tacomas and my wife has had a Camry before our family outgrew it. I have not had a single issue yet with my new Ford, but the Tacomas were bulletproof for me.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you are already admitting that you will have 100k in it and its not a money issue then just pay to repair it when/IF it needs it. If a 60k vehicle will not deliver what you want/ask of it, then the longevity is out the window anyways.

Buy the tremor and drive the mess out of it and enjoy it. Is there a chance you will have an issue?... yes, but there is a chance with durability with any vehicle.
This is a good point. I guess what I'm thinking about the most is how often the 6.7 will be in the shop. I've never owned one and dont have any context into their reliability. I'd read that the 3rd gen 6.7 was supposed to be more liable than the last, but will it be on-par with my tundra?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum! I had a 2007 Tundra that I kept for 5 years without ever having problems. They are definitely solid trucks. I got rid of it because we purchased a toy hauler and it just never felt that solid towing. (not enough payload).

The Tremor is now my 3rd Ford truck and I have yet to have issues with any of them. It's hard to say how reliable the new diesel setup will be. I think only time will truly tell.

So far I've been impressed with the Tremor and towing with it has been awesome. (not just the power but transmission, mirrors, brakes, cameras, comfort, etc) I'm one of those guys that don't "need" a diesel to tow my current trailer (6500 pounds, 1000 pounds hitch weight) but it gives me confidence to know that I'm towing less than half of what the truck is rated for.

This is a good point. I guess what I'm thinking about the most is how often the 6.7 will be in the shop. I've never owned one and dont have any context into their reliability. I'd read that the 3rd gen 6.7 was supposed to be more liable than the last, but will it be on-par with my tundra?
Thanks

Most likely, but you never know for certain. I had a serious lemon of a 2018 Raptor, tons of engine issues, but I was clearly in the minority. There's always the small chance you'll get a problem vehicle.

Hey guys, my name is Logan. I live in Kirkland, WA. I currently have a 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum. It's nice truck and I get compliments on it all the time. But, I want more power, more hauling, etc. for my semi-occasional heavy duty stuff where my Tundra bottoms out.

It isn't necessarily the 100k I'll have in it by the time I do level/wheels/tires, it's the reliability. I've had zero issues with the tundra. It's tough as hell.

I really want the diesel, but the difference in reliability worries me. I pride myself on having a reliable rig.

So, I'm on here trying to get details/info to help decide what I'll do in a month when the truck's ready and, if I keep it, what I'll end up doing to it.

Thanks,

Logan
Hi Logan, I live in Winthrop WA and bought a 2020 F-350 6.7 diesel Platinum Tremor to replace my F-150 Platinum. The Tremor was about $25,000 more than the F-150 was 8 years ago (inflation?) The F-150 was nicer in some ways, but I wanted a higher payload and better fuel economy towing. The Eco boost engine in the F-150 towed 8000 lbs. great, but due to the small displacement (3.5 liter) motor it required pumping tons of air and fuel to get the torque that was needed. Towing I was getting 6.5 mpg. Ford promoted that that engine would go 250,000 miles. Seems unlikely. This Tremor is my first diesel truck and the power is unreal. Then add on that the thing can get 20-22 mph at 70 plus speeds makes it even more interesting. I have a 3000 lb. camper and 5000 lb. boat and it handles this load in someway better than when with no load. The ride unloaded is much harsher than the F-150, but that's the tradeoff for power and capacity. Some of the fit and finish (cheap leather seats) is mediocre at best as pointed out on this forum. As for reliability complaints, be aware that on any forum you're going hear more about complaints than the good. I bought a 150,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with no time limit for $2500. Peace of mind given all the electronic systems on this truck that can and will fail.

Thanks,

Logan
You will love the new Ford diesels the power is unbelievable I currently own the Cummins and a Chevy diesel once you go with diesels you never really go back And they hold their value plus most of the diesels now come with the five-year hundred K warranty And for I think 3k more you can go 6 year 150k Ford warrantee not aftermarket fords Service departments have always been better than most brands I’ve dealt with Only thing I haven’t cared for as having to deal with the DEF but they’re starting to sell it at the pumps now reliability wise never had any problems you should go test drive one of the new diesel see what you think ??

Hi Logan, I live in Winthrop WA and bought a 2020 F-350 6.7 diesel Platinum Tremor to replace my F-150 Platinum. The Tremor was about $25,000 more than the F-150 was 8 years ago (inflation?) The F-150 was nicer in some ways, but I wanted a higher payload and better fuel economy towing. The Eco boost engine in the F-150 towed 8000 lbs. great, but due to the small displacement (3.5 liter) motor it required pumping tons of air and fuel to get the torque that was needed. Towing I was getting 6.5 mpg. Ford promoted that that engine would go 250,000 miles. Seems unlikely. This Tremor is my first diesel truck and the power is unreal. Then add on that the thing can get 20-22 mph at 70 plus speeds makes it even more interesting. I have a 3000 lb. camper and 5000 lb. boat and it handles this load in someway better than when with no load. The ride unloaded is much harsher than the F-150, but that's the tradeoff for power and capacity. Some of the fit and finish (cheap leather seats) is mediocre at best as pointed out on this forum. As for reliability complaints, be aware that on any forum you're going hear more about complaints than the good. I bought a 150,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with no time limit for $2500. Peace of mind given all the electronic systems on this truck that can and will fail.

This is a big help, thank you. Have you taken it offroad yet? How'd it do?

I am a happy Ford and FCA guy both have been good. Some small issues sure but nothing major.
My friend switched last Feb from Toyota to Ford. He is a very picky engineer and alway swore by Toyota. I hear the same talk from him about his Ford, Loves it no troubles its the best bla bla bla. I think there will always be a small percentage of people that have problems with any brand. Its the bad news travels faster than the good. When you build as many vehicles as Ford there are bound to be some negative things out there.
As far as the 6.7, They are out there in huge numbers if there were a problem you would not see them is so many different truck platforms. And there are so many more dealerships and other shops that work on them because there is so many out there.
If you are going to do a lot of short trips then you should consider the 7.3 ( lots of starting and stopping......) I do not use my 6.7 for short trips unless I have to move something that requires the F350.
As far as fit n finish: The Ford products are good, seem well made and things are tight. keep in mind these are not hand built custom vehicles, they are production built with volume in mind.

Just to be a dick I'll say the following. I don't get the whole Toyota reliability nonsense. The worst car we've ever owned was a 2012 Camry that had transmission issues the whole time we had it. Every car maker runs into build issues, Toyota included. The reason your Tundra is so "bulletproof" is because that UR motor has been around since 2005. That's 15 years to figure things out. If you can't get a motor to run right after 15 years of trying, then you've got problems. In that same 15 year time frame Ford has released the 6.0, 6.4, and 3 generations of the 6.7 as well as the 6.2 gas and now 7.3 gas. And that's just the super duty. F150 has, what, 6 different engine options? It's called development and innovation. I've owned over 20 different vehicles of all makes but Ford is our main go to and we've never had catastrophic issues with any of them. Aerostar, windstar, ranger, f150, 2 super duty, probe, 2 focus, and a partridge in a pear tree. From what you are saying, your Tundra doesn't meet your needs so you'll have to move up to a GM, Dodge, or Ford either way. If it were my choice I'd go Ford all day long.

This is a big help, thank you. Have you taken it offroad yet? How'd it do?
No, my Range Rover is better suited for off-road. Both are 85k vehicles, both have their strong points. I don't expect the Tremor to be very nimble off road. More like a 8000 lb. tank. It will probably do fine in any terrain as long as the path is wide enough to clear.

These are good perspectives. I had an older F150 when I was a kid (20) and never had any issues with it. And I had a 03 Camry that wasn't great, but the Tundra has been solid with, yes little innovation.

I guess besides people saying how cool the tremors look, I wanted some objective advantages besides simply having more capacity than my Tundra. Again, thanks for the time in replying, and I welcome all info/advice on this. Thanks

Just to be a dick I'll say the following. I don't get the whole Toyota reliability nonsense. The worst car we've ever owned was a 2012 Camry that had transmission issues the whole time we had it. Every car maker runs into build issues, Toyota included. The reason your Tundra is so "bulletproof" is because that UR motor has been around since 2005. That's 15 years to figure things out. If you can't get a motor to run right after 15 years of trying, then you've got problems. In that same 15 year time frame Ford has released the 6.0, 6.4, and 3 generations of the 6.7 as well as the 6.2 gas and now 7.3 gas. And that's just the super duty. F150 has, what, 6 different engine options? It's called development and innovation. I've owned over 20 different vehicles of all makes but Ford is our main go to and we've never had catastrophic issues with any of them. Aerostar, windstar, ranger, f150, 2 super duty, probe, 2 focus, and a partridge in a pear tree. From what you are saying, your Tundra doesn't meet your needs so you'll have to move up to a GM, Dodge, or Ford either way. If it were my choice I'd go Ford all day long.
Valid points.

You can have a problem with any new vehicle. My 2015 6.7l powerstroke was perfect for 50,000 miles/6 years, before trading in on my Tremor. Make sure you do the maintenance, especially fuel filters & water separator and it will treat you well.

Anything is possible. We're human and the products we develop can be just as faulty as us. i don't adhere to the whole this brand is good, this brand is bad mentality. Like i said I've owned fords, toyotas, hondas, jags, and a bunch of others. They all have to potential to suck. Get what you like and fits your needs. Do your regular maintenance and enjoy the vehicle. Just don't buy a Chevy, they definitely do suck. haha

You can have a problem with any new vehicle. My 2015 6.7l powerstroke was perfect for 50,000 miles/6 years, before trading in on my Tremor. Make sure you do the maintenance, especially fuel filters & water separator and it will treat you well.
Second that, I just traded my 2005 6.0 diesel on my tremor. You want to talk about an engine that got more then it's share of bad press, Google that one. Yet mine ran coast to coast, east to west, north to south from temperatures well below 0F to above 100F and never spent a day in the shop. I just kept up with the recommend servicing which I do myself. I was going to keep it and do a complete overhaul this year on engine and body but then I stumbled on the Tremor and haven't looked back. Go for it and have fun.

In Feb. '20, I traded up from a fully loaded 2013 Nissan Titan Pro4X 5.6 gasser to my 6.7L Tremor and I am COMPLETELY happy. I did many of the options, F250 Lariat Sport and Ultimate packages, Adaptive CC, Adaptive steering and Moon roof, 5th-wheel prep, and some other small things. Although my Titan claimed it could tow 9500 lbs, it really couldn't do well above ~7000 lb, and the fuel mileage was atrocious when towing - like 6-8mpg. My Nissan had ZERO problems for 7 years / ~70,000 miles, but it was time to trade-up. I went with the F250 over the F350, but got the 10,800GVWR rating (only 600# under the F350). I think it rides fairly decent, the interior creature features are super nice, and it gets pretty decent fuel mileage towing (10-11mpg with 7500# trailer). Not towing, it also gets better fuel mileage that my Titan (15 -17 mixed City / Hwy). I've put on about 7500 miles so far and it still makes me smile when I see it. Also, I like the Tremor package over after-market lift kits and tires because everything is under factory warranty and no messing around with speedometer issues (and the price is relatively similar). I say go for it!

I traded in a 2015 Tundra Platinum in on a Lariat Tremor just a couple weeks ago so I thought I would give my impressions. As far as reliability goes Toyota has always carried a good reputation for their cars/trucks being pretty solid. I had an 03 and 15 Tundra and both were great vehicles, and I have known numerous people that have had Toyota vehicles with no issues. However, when the new Tundras came out in 05 (I think) they did have a fair amount of issues, but now the Tundra platform is pushing 15 year so it should be solid. My family has had a number of Ford trucks all have been good to us, my dad had 2 F250s one over 200k and one over 300k that really gave him no problems both were V10 engines not diesels. I had a 2017 F250 for about 2 years with the 6.2 that I loved but traded for and expedition, I had no issue with the truck. After that 17 I knew I wanted back into a superduty at some point, then a few months ago my dealer had a Tremor and placed an order soon after for my own and love it. Few points on the superduty that I like over the Tundra

Bed space, I am not a fan of the 5.5' beds. Almost useless to me, put in a bike, bags, or just a few things and its full. With the 6.75 bed I can fit my bike, bags, equipment for a vacation all in the bed and not cram the cab or add carriers.

Ride height, I prefer to be up higher and see around, these 1/2 ton trucks these days are becoming more like overgrown cars to a point. I like that the F250/350 feels like what a truck should be. The Tundra did ride better then the 250 but really these trucks do ride well for what they are, comfortable to me.

Towing, the tundra would tow fine but it was a half ton if you had 3-4k on you knew it was there, the same load on the superduty you can forget that it is behind you. I do plan to tow a boat and prefer the F250 platform to the tundra.

Overall, you never know how long or well a vehicle will treat you, but I think if you take care of it hopefully it will be trouble free. I went with the 7.3 over the 6.7, the 6.7 was tempting as it is an impressive motor but the 7.3 really suited me best in the end. I am just going to throw this out there and not trying to start a battle or putting down the diesel at all but maybe consider your use of the truck. What are you towing and using the truck for because these diesel engines with emissions have A LOT going on, and while the engine might be good it can sometimes be the sensors that can be a pain. Just something to consider since towing has a lot to do with frame, suspension, etc rather than just shear power of the engine, an F350 7.3 would handle a load far better than the Tundra ever did.

Hope that was some help, either way these sure are nice trucks.

Second that, I just traded my 2005 6.0 diesel on my tremor. You want to talk about an engine that got more then it's share of bad press, Google that one. Yet mine ran coast to coast, east to west, north to south from temperatures well below 0F to above 100F and never spent a day in the shop. I just kept up with the recommend servicing which I do myself. I was going to keep it and do a complete overhaul this year on engine and body but then I stumbled on the Tremor and haven't looked back. Go for it and have fun.
I agree with you 100%, I also had a 2005 6.0l ran perfect for nine years/90,000 before 2 major repairs (1st Glow plug module and 1 glow plug, 2nd FICM which took out 1 injector and had to be towed, for a total of $5,000.00). That is when I decided, to buy the 2015, to get under warranty again.

Back