2018 Tundra Plat. w/ 2020 F350 6.7 Plat. Tremor on order (apprehensive...)

I traded in a 2015 Tundra Platinum in on a Lariat Tremor just a couple weeks ago so I thought I would give my impressions. As far as reliability goes Toyota has always carried a good reputation for their cars/trucks being pretty solid. I had an 03 and 15 Tundra and both were great vehicles, and I have known numerous people that have had Toyota vehicles with no issues. However, when the new Tundras came out in 05 (I think) they did have a fair amount of issues, but now the Tundra platform is pushing 15 year so it should be solid. My family has had a number of Ford trucks all have been good to us, my dad had 2 F250s one over 200k and one over 300k that really gave him no problems both were V10 engines not diesels. I had a 2017 F250 for about 2 years with the 6.2 that I loved but traded for and expedition, I had no issue with the truck. After that 17 I knew I wanted back into a superduty at some point, then a few months ago my dealer had a Tremor and placed an order soon after for my own and love it. Few points on the superduty that I like over the Tundra

Bed space, I am not a fan of the 5.5' beds. Almost useless to me, put in a bike, bags, or just a few things and its full. With the 6.75 bed I can fit my bike, bags, equipment for a vacation all in the bed and not cram the cab or add carriers.

Ride height, I prefer to be up higher and see around, these 1/2 ton trucks these days are becoming more like overgrown cars to a point. I like that the F250/350 feels like what a truck should be. The Tundra did ride better then the 250 but really these trucks do ride well for what they are, comfortable to me.

Towing, the tundra would tow fine but it was a half ton if you had 3-4k on you knew it was there, the same load on the superduty you can forget that it is behind you. I do plan to tow a boat and prefer the F250 platform to the tundra.

Overall, you never know how long or well a vehicle will treat you, but I think if you take care of it hopefully it will be trouble free. I went with the 7.3 over the 6.7, the 6.7 was tempting as it is an impressive motor but the 7.3 really suited me best in the end. I am just going to throw this out there and not trying to start a battle or putting down the diesel at all but maybe consider your use of the truck. What are you towing and using the truck for because these diesel engines with emissions have A LOT going on, and while the engine might be good it can sometimes be the sensors that can be a pain. Just something to consider since towing has a lot to do with frame, suspension, etc rather than just shear power of the engine, an F350 7.3 would handle a load far better than the Tundra ever did.

Hope that was some help, either way these sure are nice trucks.
These are good points. I also don't like the 5.5 bed, and yes you really can't do much with it. I ordered the 6.7 because I did want the diesel. I've been curious about the ride. How much different was the ride compared to your tundra, what things did you notice? Have you taken it offroad yet? Thanks again.

Just to be a dick I'll say the following. I don't get the whole Toyota reliability nonsense. The worst car we've ever owned was a 2012 Camry that had transmission issues the whole time we had it. Every car maker runs into build issues, Toyota included. The reason your Tundra is so "bulletproof" is because that UR motor has been around since 2005. That's 15 years to figure things out. If you can't get a motor to run right after 15 years of trying, then you've got problems. In that same 15 year time frame Ford has released the 6.0, 6.4, and 3 generations of the 6.7 as well as the 6.2 gas and now 7.3 gas. And that's just the super duty. F150 has, what, 6 different engine options? It's called development and innovation. I've owned over 20 different vehicles of all makes but Ford is our main go to and we've never had catastrophic issues with any of them. Aerostar, windstar, ranger, f150, 2 super duty, probe, 2 focus, and a partridge in a pear tree. From what you are saying, your Tundra doesn't meet your needs so you'll have to move up to a GM, Dodge, or Ford either way. If it were my choice I'd go Ford all day long.
Don’t forget the fact that Toyota’s/GMs/Chevys/RAMs rust like crazy. If Ford did one truly smart choice in the past 10 years that’ll always trump the other brands, then it’s the fact they went to high-strength aluminum instead of steel. Sure, the industry laughed, cried and complained. But in the grand scheme of things: The F-Series trucks longevity is better than any other truck for the above reason alone.

If you want a heavy duty truck you have 3 choices. Ram, GM, or Ford. If we are being honest they are all about the same quality wise, you may get a good one and you may not. My Tremor did have a trans leak at 1500 miles but it was taken care of quickly so cant complain much, they even put a whole new trans in because the parts to repair were back ordered...Covid has made a mess of the supply chain. Issues can happen to any manufactured product and its important that it is dealt with properly, and in my case it was.

These are good points. I also don't like the 5.5 bed, and yes you really can't do much with it. I ordered the 6.7 because I did want the diesel. I've been curious about the ride. How much different was the ride compared to your tundra, what things did you notice? Have you taken it offroad yet? Thanks again.

It is a different ride for sure, it is firmer but you have to remember that you are comparing a 1/2 ton IFS to a 3/4 or 1 ton solid axle so they will never be very comparable. To me you don't notice as many road imperfections in the tundra as you will the super duty since the suspension absorbs it better and is softer. I don't mind the ride at all and it has improved over the years, for heavy duty trucks. There are aftermarket components out there that can improve the ride, for example carli, so that might be something to look at if it is a little too firm for your liking, especially if you plan on lifting. Just make sure to adjust your tire pressures appropriately as 80 in the rear unloaded is a bit too much, most guys seem to be running around 60 all around unloaded, I am still playing with mine to find what I like.

As far as off road, I have not taken it off road so not much to add or say there.

Hope that helps

Back