1st oil change in the 7.3.....wow.

Marley

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Military
Veteran
Did 1st oil change at 3K today and let's just say IT SHOOTS OUT !!! lol

I've changed oil in every vehicle I've owned and not seen this kind of horizontal stream before.
Tried to gauge where the oil was going to land and was off by a foot, I'll know the next time or get a valve installed.

Used a half a can of brake cleaner to clean up the garage floor.

My GT500 does the same thing. I put on a glove and just unthread it until the oil just starts so I can throttle it.

I've changed oil in every vehicle I've owned and not seen this kind of horizontal stream before.
Tried to gauge where the oil was going to land and was off by a foot, I'll know the next time or get a valve installed.

only 1/2 can????

:p

7 quarts landed in drain pan and 1 quart landed on garage floor so added 8 fresh quarts.
How did one end up on the floor? I put 7 in but some sights are saying I need 8. The dipstick is so long I can't tell if its filled or just picking up oil on the way up.

How did one end up on the floor? I put 7 in but some sights are saying I need 8. The dipstick is so long I can't tell if its filled or just picking up oil on the way up.

Check your capacities in owners manual......7.3 calls for 8 quarts.
Good news, you didn't hurt anything just running a quart low.
And agree, not crazy about the long twisty dipstick.

I found it to be one of the quickest and easiest oil changes of any vehicle Ive ever owned, but a large drain pan helps keep things clean.

I decided to invest in one of these for other reasons, but your experience tells me it was a good decision. Can't wait for my first oil change to install it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N30AVQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1618610360411.png

Back