17-Inch Wheel?

stickshifter

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Tacoma
Hi folks,
I know the Tremor comes with 18-inch wheels. Can you run a 17-inch wheel on a Tremor (7.3 gas), or are the brakes too big? Just asking because the winter tire company I use (Nokian) only makes one tire that is 35-inches, and that tire only comes in a 17-inch wheel.

Why Nokian? This is why ;)

Enough with the shameless marketing - and I don't work for Nokian! But seriously, these are great winter tires for people who live in winter conditions for a decent chunk of the year. We've run them on pickup trucks, Jeeps, a Toyota 4Runner, and a couple of Audi sport sedans, and they are amazing. I don't buy a vehicle unless I have a good plan for the winter, because at 8,300 feet in the Rockies, no matter what time of year it is...

winter_is_coming.jpg

@Jtv107 has 17” wheels on their truck based on this post:

Thank you!

17 is a great off road size

the Jeepers love that size cause you can play with the air pressure and the sidewalls are proportionate

If you need to add a ton of weight for the balance you can't stack it or it could hit.

the Jeepers love that size cause you can play with the air pressure and the sidewalls are proportionate

If you need to add a ton of weight for the balance you can't stack it or it could hit.
Yeah - I've always run 17s on my Jeeps to maximize sidewall. Well, I guess I could run 16s to truly "maximize" sidewall and allow for a nice big deflated footprint, but 17s give you a lot of tire options and fit most brakes.

If I remember, @Big John Son is running 17’s and ran into that issue or something similar with weights. I thought he switched to balancing beads and then ended up with issues (or worries) with them plugging up the valve stems.
To the OP... maybe shoot him a PM to verify if my memory is remotely correct and maybe get some opinions from him before pulling the trigger. I believe 17 is as small as you can potentially go without hitting calipers, etc and even then, it may be a bit of a hassle to make them work. I do love the look and feel of 17’s with big fat sidewalls though. ???

I have Fuel Zephyr 17x9s on my 2021 Diesel and the brakes are not a problem. I asked the tire store to do only one "row" of weights and I have zero issues with caliper rubbing.

There are several others who have them, as well.

Tremor-Zephyr-Ridge-Grappler.jpeg

Tremor-RF.jpg

Tremor-RR.jpg

Last edited:
Was there a big improvement in ride quality vs the stock wheels and tires.

Yes, but that has a lot to do with the Carli suspension and additional small bump compliance with the 37s.

If I remember, @Big John Son is running 17’s and ran into that issue or something similar with weights. I thought he switched to balancing beads and then ended up with issues (or worries) with them plugging up the valve stems.
To the OP... maybe shoot him a PM to verify if my memory is remotely correct and maybe get some opinions from him before pulling the trigger. I believe 17 is as small as you can potentially go without hitting calipers, etc and even then, it may be a bit of a hassle to make them work. I do love the look and feel of 17’s with big fat sidewalls though. ???
Thanks for the info and contact!

Yes, but that has a lot to do with the Carli suspension and additional small bump compliance with the 37s.
Sounds like you are happy with the Carli suspension. Did you get the Pintop? Any complaints with it?

EDIT: I just saw your build thread in your signature, and I've checked that out. I see you went with the Backcountry 2.0 2.5" You've done a really great job with your build! That was good info on the Carli Torsion Sway Bar. CJC really promotes that as a great add-on, but I was a little concerned that it might result in a sloppy feel up front - less firm when cornering at higher speeds. Yeah, I know you don't get a F250 to rip through corners, but we all want to feel stable when cornering. So it was good to hear your positive experience with it! TFL also had some rubbing with 37s on their Carli suspension (they had the Pintop). Good to hear that it was easy to resolve. If you ever feel like sharing more of your thoughts on the Carli Backcountry set up I'd love to hear 'em. Thanks again for your reply to my original question about 17-inch wheels!

Last edited:

Confirmed. Almost 20,000 miles and would do it (17s) again. Feel like the added sidewall softened the ride somewhat but also increases my off-road capabilities? Hard to know for sure but I like the look of taller sidewalls.

Back