Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 TREMOR 6.7 2022 F350 FX4 6.7 LB
...now I may be a little jealous...

Attachments

• FORD67.jpg
    FORD67.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 320
Boom. That's awesome, what a way to enter in the post apoplectic world when we run out of diesel/DEF.

MadMaxFuryRoad-247-ft.jpg

Last edited:
Dang....now i have to get one!!

Does anyone have a guess at what mpg will be for 6.7 HO vs the standard 6.7?

For Sale: 2022 F350 Tremor, 10Kmiles. Non-smoker. Clean. Loaded. Will toss in a ham & cheese sandwich.

;)

MPG will probably be the same. This is *only* 25hp and 150 LB/FT more than we are now? with tuning and low-gear de-rates my guess is typical MPG doesn't change much. This extra power will only be available in higher gears.

The 6.8/7.3 doesn't make much sense to me they are so close...

MPG will probably be the same. This is *only* 25hp and 150 LB/FT more than we are now? with tuning and low-gear de-rates my guess is typical MPG doesn't change much. This extra power will only be available in higher gears.

Makes me wonder if the 7.3L might be on the way out... less engine displacement makes the environmental peeps happy and customers aren't losing much and can always add mods to boost HP well beyond these numbers if needed.

Makes me wonder if the 7.3L might be on the way out... less engine displacement makes the environmental peeps happy and customers aren't losing much and can always add mods to boost HP well beyond these numbers if needed.
I wouldn't think so. 6.8 is targeted more for the fleet customers where the fuel cost is a higher consideration.

I wouldn't think so. 6.8 is targeted more for the fleet customers where the fuel cost is a higher consideration.
You're likely right on this. If they keep the 7.3 in 2024, first beer's on me at future meet-up... :)

Ford has been making a bunch of moves over the last few years to simplify their product offering as well as moving away from ICE (sad to see the anticipated end of the ICE Mustang). Some of the comments made by presenters at the Super Duty launch event also makes me think they're working to streamline the number of available options on these trucks to simplify manufacturing and supply chain. With the core architecture of the 6.8 being the same as the 7.3, and the performance specs being so close, just leads me to think that continuing to produce both engines would not align with their simplification strategy.

Can it be tuned? This isn’t enough for me, oh can I delete it and roll coal? It’s a must I need all that soot to make power!!

7.3, from a marketing standpoint makes more sense to keep around in the line up
I thought it was the same engine. That’s what they said on some of the reviews. with just a few modifications.

I will wait to see the torque curves. Historically the larger displacement will fair better there. Having owned a 6.2L in the hotter 411 hp 435 ft/lbs extremely close to the 6.8L #s and is no contest ves the 7.3L when loaded down. The simple architecture of the 7.3L is cheaper to build vs the 6.2L so makes sense to me to offer a smaller version for the fleet market that may be looking for reduced initial price and possibly of improved economy with lighter use cases. Also why I suspect it is only available on lower trim levels.

I ordered a 2023 Limited with this HO powerstroke, but I’m betting with the torque limiting programming in the lower gears it probably doesn’t even feel any different to drive than my 2022.

In terms of the fuel mileage, will the new engine with more horses and torque both eat more diesel or not necessary?

Granted I haven't towed at near the max rating of my 6.7 I can honestly say that I have never thought it was in need of more power. In fact, unloaded it is quick enough to overcome its handling abilities pretty quickly. In other words, if you're gonna goose it you had better have some good road in front of you.

You're likely right on this. If they keep the 7.3 in 2024, first beer's on me at future meet-up... :)

Ford has been making a bunch of moves over the last few years to simplify their product offering as well as moving away from ICE (sad to see the anticipated end of the ICE Mustang). Some of the comments made by presenters at the Super Duty launch event also makes me think they're working to streamline the number of available options on these trucks to simplify manufacturing and supply chain. With the core architecture of the 6.8 being the same as the 7.3, and the performance specs being so close, just leads me to think that continuing to produce both engines would not align with their simplification strategy.
With ford marketing the 7.3 for engine swaps, specifically in the mustang and ford winning the blue bird school buss contact with 7.3 engines and various motor homes running the 7.3 it’s not going anywhere. Ford builds the engine to operate at peak power with stoichiometric ratio. The ford 7.3 is actually a clean running engine that meets current emissions standards. The 6.8 will appeal to customers who want a cheaper option and it meets the modern emissions standards also. Ford spent a lot of time developing the 7.3 for the long term heavy duty truck sediment. It’s was pretty easy for them to copy this in a lower displacement 6.8 form.

I will wait to see the torque curves. Historically the larger displacement will fair better there. Having owned a 6.2L in the hotter 411 hp 435 ft/lbs extremely close to the 6.8L #s and is no contest ves the 7.3L when loaded down. The simple architecture of the 7.3L is cheaper to build vs the 6.2L so makes sense to me to offer a smaller version for the fleet market that may be looking for reduced initial price and possibly of improved economy with lighter use cases. Also why I suspect it is only available on lower trim levels.
your correct! Plus the 6.2 is more complex and more expensive to build and won’t meet future emissions standards, so it was replaced with a cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain and more emissions friendly 6.8. From a fleet standard a 6.2 with 16 spark plugs and cam phasers is a more complex, more expensive engine to maintain.

Back