10R140 Whining

TremStar

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 Lariat Tremor 7.3 Gas
Just bought a 2020 Tremor 7.3 gas with the new 10 speed. Has anybody else had any whining that seems like is coming from the transmission area? It whines at idle and in all gears. Its more obvious at lower speeds. It runs and shifts well though. Thanks

Normal 10 speed operation. The noise comes from the transmission pump and is considered normal per Ford (Personally I think it sounds like hell). There is a TSB on the noise considering it normal, even though not all of them do it or are not as loud as others. The 10 speed in my 6.7l does not do it at all, however my wife's Lincoln Aviator with the 10 speed does it and is loud. It my only complaint with her car. I did tell the dealer that the noise was unacceptable and we test drove 2 other Aviators and 1 Explorer ST with the 10 speed and they all had some type of noise. The GM version of the transmission has the same sound/issue.

Personally I think the installation of the pump which is gear driven is installed out of specs, which causes the noise to become louder. I would love to meed the engineer that designed this and thought this was an acceptable noise to come from a vehicle. Hopefully they come up for some type of fix for this.

Normal 10 speed operation. The noise comes from the transmission pump and is considered normal per Ford (Personally I think it sounds like hell). There is a TSB on the noise considering it normal, even though not all of them do it or are not as loud as others. The 10 speed in my 6.7l does not do it at all, however my wife's Lincoln Aviator with the 10 speed does it and is loud. It my only complaint with her car. I did tell the dealer that the noise was unacceptable and we test drove 2 other Aviators and 1 Explorer ST with the 10 speed and they all had some type of noise. The GM version of the transmission has the same sound/issue.

Personally I think the installation of the pump which is gear driven is installed out of specs, which causes the noise to become louder. I would love to meed the engineer that designed this and thought this was an acceptable noise to come from a vehicle. Hopefully they come up for some type of fix for this.
Thanks for the input. Yes it sounds like hell especially for such a nice looking new truck. Im going to stop by the dealer just to see what they say. If there is no fix I guess I may have to put a louder exhaust to cover the sound a little. At the very least I hope there are no serious mechanical issues.

I certainly would put it on record with the dealer, I did with the Lincoln. If you google search the noise you will see all the responses across all Ford models with the 10 speed.

I just tell people I have a blower on it :)

Went to the dealer and they confirmed what you guys were saying. Common 10 speed noises... We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the replies.

If my 6.7 does it I can't hear it. There are some funny sounds when you shut it off for a while but nothing when driving it. I wish the turbo was louder.

Back